Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 07:34 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,766,948 times

Advertisements

All this time I have been pronouncing it wrong. I always pronounced it as "Regeena", staying true to the word's Latin roots (regina, reginae, feminine 1st declension meaning "queen"), only substituting the hard g with a soft g. It wasn't until I heard a sports broadcaster in Youtube pronounce it with a high i did I find out I was wrong. My Oxford Dictionary also pronounces it this way because the Brits refer to a reigning queen as the Regina. Anyways of late, even the local tourism organization attempted to pun the City's name with coarse slang and was met with criticism.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...unch-1.6784321

A former board member said it was an attempt to "sexualize" the City. I just thought it was poor taste but the joke does kind of goes back to the unusual pronunciation of the name. So I ask, ought the City reconsider the current pronunciation or is it all right to keep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 12:40 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
“What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other word would smell as sweet.” So declares Juliet as she laments the name of her beloved in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

I personally find the traditional British pronunciation Rejeena is softer and easier to roll off the tongue than the current pronunciation but that's just me. I don't object to the current way it's pronounced even if it has a somewhat harder sound to it but I do object to the immature, misogynistic and undignified crude sexualization of it by the tourism ignoramuses who tried to turn it into a joke. I'm glad the citizens of Regina objected to the offensive slogans and that the tourism organization have apologized for their social gaffe.

If the pronunciation of Regina ever becomes an issue I think the people of the province of Saskatchewan and the city of Regina would have Saskatchewan's provincial government put it to the public's vote to determine if the pronunciation should be changed back to the old traditional European way. It's their province, their capital city, their place, their business and their image. I'd accept and go along with whatever the people there voted for.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:20 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
All this time I have been pronouncing it wrong. I always pronounced it as "Regeena", staying true to the word's Latin roots (regina, reginae, feminine 1st declension meaning "queen"), only substituting the hard g with a soft g. It wasn't until I heard a sports broadcaster in Youtube pronounce it with a high i did I find out I was wrong. My Oxford Dictionary also pronounces it this way because the Brits refer to a reigning queen as the Regina. Anyways of late, even the local tourism organization attempted to pun the City's name with coarse slang and was met with criticism.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...unch-1.6784321

A former board member said it was an attempt to "sexualize" the City. I just thought it was poor taste but the joke does kind of goes back to the unusual pronunciation of the name. So I ask, ought the City reconsider the current pronunciation or is it all right to keep?
Note that the city's name has always AFAIK been pronounced "rej-eye-nah". It's not something they did for the tourism campaign though obviously they tried to capitalize on this.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:55 AM

2,393 posts, read 1,563,128 times
used to be pile of bones before the GGs wife had it changed, doubt she asked the local cree what they thought about that

Old 03-21-2023, 08:57 AM

463 posts, read 284,917 times
For the last 71 years of my life, it's always been Reg-eye-na

Old 03-21-2023, 10:37 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Note that the city's name has always AFAIK been pronounced "rej-eye-nah". It's not something they did for the tourism campaign though obviously they tried to capitalize on this.
Also "ree-jie-nah " Which is how I've said it all my life.

The same " ree " as in regal.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-21-2023 at 11:03 AM..

Old 03-21-2023, 10:42 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
“What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other word would smell as sweet.” So declares Juliet as she laments the name of her beloved in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

I personally find the traditional British pronunciation Rejeena is softer and easier to roll off the tongue than the current pronunciation but that's just me. I don't object to the current way it's pronounced even if it has a somewhat harder sound to it but I do object to the immature, misogynistic and undignified crude sexualization of it by the tourism ignoramuses who tried to turn it into a joke. I'm glad the citizens of Regina objected to the offensive slogans and that the tourism organization have apologized for their social gaffe.

If the pronunciation of Regina ever becomes an issue I think the people of the province of Saskatchewan and the city of Regina would have Saskatchewan's provincial government put it to the public's vote to determine if the pronunciation should be changed back to the old traditional European way. It's their province, their capital city, their place, their business and their image. I'd accept and go along with whatever the people there voted for.

Depends on which traditional accent in the UK. I've heard both.

Start at 2:10

https://youglish.com/pronounce/regina/english/uk

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-21-2023 at 11:29 AM..

Old 03-21-2023, 01:23 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
If we're being real, there's really no getting around the juvenile humor aspect of it. If it rhymed with something pertaining to the opposite gender, the tourism slogan issue wouldn't have been such a serious matter and more of a laughing one. Though I can't deny the "show us your Regina" in that context is a bit misogynistic. But Regina is what it is. Let them be called what they want I guess.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-21-2023 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-21-2023, 01:57 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Google has the pronunciation right: https://translate.google.com/

If you select English for the left field and type one word - Regina - Google pronounces it the British way. If instead you type two words - Regina Saskatchewan - Google pronounces Regina the way people in Regina pronounce it.

Old 03-21-2023, 02:22 PM

463 posts, read 284,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Google has the pronunciation right: https://translate.google.com/

If you select English for the left field and type one word - Regina - Google pronounces it the British way. If instead you type two words - Regina Saskatchewan - Google pronounces Regina the way people in Regina pronounce it.
Those limeys can't pronounce aluminum either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada