Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 06:21 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Hope others more knowledgeable in this matter will provide you with the information you need.

I thought you would be exempted from taking the language test, since you are a Boston native and English being your mother tongue.
But you are right. Geez! That really sucks!
https://ielts.idp.com/canada/prepare...-take-the-test
"For instance, a native English speaking individual from the UK, who wants to apply for a visa to enter Canada, must sit for, take, and pass the IELTS exam, even though they are from another English speaking country. Even people from the United States have to take the IELTS if they are entering Canada on a Visa."
I wouldn't be so turned off by the examination alone than the cost to take it (around $250 USD or $325 CAD). It's not as expensive as other proficiency exams I have seen (and taken) but it's not cheap either. That and the amount of time and effort studying and preparing for the exam. It determines how much you really want something to go through the effort to obtain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 06:47 PM

2,224 posts, read 1,327,980 times
^
Certain members of our family while still studying at the university, were poached by Canadian firms. Just realised that was why we were exempted.

Just curious. If a native of France is to emigrate to Quebec, is he obligated to sit for a Qc French language test as well? That would be so humiliating, given how proud the French are of their language.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:51 AM

1,044 posts, read 685,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I wouldn't be so turned off by the examination alone than the cost to take it (around $250 USD or $325 CAD). It's not as expensive as other proficiency exams I have seen (and taken) but it's not cheap either. That and the amount of time and effort studying and preparing for the exam. It determines how much you really want something to go through the effort to obtain it.
Maybe I didn't read the site properly, but I thought I was doing it the right way. Everyone is required to take a short eligibility test before they start their application. The test ended right after I chose that neither my wife nor I had taken any kind of English exam, but it still encouraged me to to apply to see if I was eligible for other programs.

I applied thinking that I might be eligible sans the English test. Simply, I didn't want spend the time to take the IELTS exam (for both my wife and me) if I was just going to be declared ineligible for other reasons (education, demographics, resume, etc). I guess I figured I'd submit the application, it would be accepted and then they would follow up with information about taking the IELTS or some other exam.

As it turns out, my wife and I both need to take the exam first, apply, and THEN see if there are other factors that might keep us from getting a visa.

The thing is, we're not that interested in going right away. We have family responsibilities here in Malaysia that need to be dealt with (82 year old mother in law has alzheimer's). When that situation changes (sadly, when she is no longer with us), then we'll think about migrating.

I guess we just wanted to see what our options were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
^
Certain members of our family while still studying at the university, were poached by Canadian firms. Just realised that was why we were exempted.

Just curious. If a native of France is to emigrate to Quebec, is he obligated to sit for a Qc French language test as well? That would be so humiliating, given how proud the French are of their language.
French speakers must also take an exam as well. If you do take a French exam, that limits you to placements in French regions.

My high school French is so bad, I might be banned from Quebec all together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada