Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 11:41 AM

404 posts, read 434,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's true that you do hear "mix of sun and cloud".

Didn't know it was not said in the US.
Just the uncountable form. To what I hear anyway. We do say "sun and clouds" plural. I know it's a minor thing but interesting anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 11:59 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Another is "chesterfield" for couch.
When I was a child, yes. Chesterfield was very common here in BC. Not sure about the ROC.

Today, not so much. Probably no one under 50 would use it. I don't even use it anymore.

Another one gone, is Serviette.

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-08-2023 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-08-2023, 06:39 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,408,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
When I was a child, yes. Chesterfield was very common here in BC. Not sure about the ROC.
Common in Ontario too, when I was younger.

Quote:
Another one gone, is Serviette.
True, but we still have gutters on the street and eavestroughs on our homes.

Canadian English is unique. It is not American, but at the same time, it is most assuredly not British. Our cars do not have bonnets and boots, they don't drive on tyres, we do not park them next to the kerb, and we don't fill them with petrol.

Of course, many of our American friends know that we look at the world in a variety of colours, we go to the theatre or to the shopping centre, we hear rumours, and we have a great sense of humour. And while we don't do it much anymore, thanks to modern banking practices, those of us of a certain age have written any number of cheques--and cashed them too.

Heck, in a Canadian bar or restaurant, you don't ask for your check. You ask for your tab. Something Americans understand, but rarely use (IME); and that seems to completely flummox our British friends.

I would suggest that our OP regard Canadian English as its own dialect, rather than trying to slot it into some sort of "Commonwealth" or "British" dialect.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Canadian English is unique. It is not American, but at the same time, it is most assuredly not British. Our cars do not have bonnets and boots, they don't drive on tyres, we do not park them next to the kerb, and we don't fill them with petrol.

Of course, many of our American friends know that we look at the world in a variety of colours, we go to the theatre or to the shopping centre, we hear rumours, and we have a great sense of humour. And while we don't do it much anymore, thanks to modern banking practices, those of us of a certain age have written any number of cheques--and cashed them too.

Heck, in a Canadian bar or restaurant, you don't ask for your check. You ask for your tab. Something Americans understand, but rarely use (IME); and that seems to completely flummox our British friends.

I would suggest that our OP regard Canadian English as its own dialect, rather than trying to slot it into some sort of "Commonwealth" or "British" dialect.
I do, as I stated elsewhere in the thread or I would have posted this in the UK forum here. You share some traits that is all. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this particular usage, and whether or not it was a Canadian thing or derived from Britain.

Myself, I have a California accent, tempered by having phonics drilled into me as a young child, so it's not exactly the same as fellow Californians. I moved to Michigan ten years ago, where there is a strong Northern Cities dialect, similar to Chicago. I make the joke that Detroit is like what if Chicago and Toronto had a baby. At any rate, my accent is basically Toronto to local ears here without the Canadianisms (progress, beeeen, etc). But I do say oot and aboot if Im speaking in a hurry lol. Yes I know that is an exaggeration and not universal. I have a devil of a time convincing Michiganders Im not Canadian lol, and a time convincing Windsorites I wasnt a local.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:38 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,344,424 times
Quote:

Agreed. The differences between global English dialects go a lot deeper than vocabulary, and it's often the different grammatical styles that cause miscommunication. A simple example is a statement like "how hot was that," which in Australia quite often means "how hot was that!," ie "that was really hot!" So if any Brit or American kindly responds with "it must have been over 38 degrees," they will get an unexpected reaction.

Old 05-08-2023, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Agreed. The differences between global English dialects go a lot deeper than vocabulary, and it's often the different grammatical styles that cause miscommunication. A simple example is a statement like "how hot was that," which in Australia quite often means "how hot was that!," ie "that was really hot!" So if any Brit or American kindly responds with "it must have been over 38 degrees," they will get an unexpected reaction.
In many ways, Australian English is like a different language altogether lol.

Old 05-08-2023, 09:29 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
In American English, when we go to a pub or bar we say "open a tab" which we then close out at the end of the night.

Old 05-08-2023, 10:55 PM

2,377 posts, read 1,060,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In American English, when we go to a pub or bar we say "open a tab" which we then close out at the end of the night.
Or how about ....both british and canadians say "in hospital"....
rarely or never "in the hospital"...

Old 05-09-2023, 05:50 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,564,146 times
dont me going with braces and suspenders

Old 05-09-2023, 06:07 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,506 times
Well it's a good thing Canadians joined with the Yanks for "Flashlight". Or else American visitors would be setting things on fire it told "Too dark in there? Just grab a torch!"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada