Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 08:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post

Do American schools set up shooting ranges and make firearms safety a mandatory credit to graduate?
I believe at one point most kids learned to shoot from Dad, uncle, or older brother. Many schools had shooting teams, and did have an indoor range even in NYC. I remember watching old vids or black and white vids of PE class prior to the 70. The kids where doing military style obstacles courses. Is like they were being prepped for war

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
It was the insinuation that Canadian culture and identity is so wrapped up in ice hockey that schools would build rinks in order to force kids to learn to skate. It is truly as ridiculous as asking if we all get around by dogsled in the winter. As such, I responded with a sarcastic reply illustrating a stereotype associated with Americans.

To be honest, I really don't understand why I need to explain this to you. The section I quoted clearly illustrated my point above.
But why is this so outlandish? I have been told Canadien fathers build small rinks for their kids in the backyard. So would it be difficult during the cold season to build a larger rink for kids at school?

In America, any decent elementary school has a grassy little league baseball field which can be used to play gridiron football, or soccer, and there is basketball hoop set up somewhere. There is also the standard jungle gym.

Every town will probably have a full sized Olympic Track, with the gridiron football in the middle with the goal posts. And on top there be HS aged baseball field somewhere plus basketball courts. Probably a tennis court here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 02:32 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I believe at one point most kids learned to shoot from Dad, uncle, or older brother. Many schools had shooting teams, and did have an indoor range even in NYC. I remember watching old vids or black and white vids of PE class prior to the 70. The kids where doing military style obstacles courses. Is like they were being prepped for war

But why is this so outlandish? I have been told Canadien fathers build small rinks for their kids in the backyard. So would it be difficult during the cold season to build a larger rink for kids at school?

In America, any decent elementary school has a grassy little league baseball field which can be used to play gridiron football, or soccer, and there is basketball hoop set up somewhere. There is also the standard jungle gym.

Every town will probably have a full sized Olympic Track, with the gridiron football in the middle with the goal posts. And on top there be HS aged baseball field somewhere plus basketball courts. Probably a tennis court here and there.
None of those other things are really relevant because none of them are the same as ice rinks and they don't present the same hazards and maintenance that ice rinks do.

Schools won't do it on public school property because of insurance and liability issues and other hassles with regard to health and safety, as well as potential property damages. Fathers with back yard rinks for their kids don't have to face the same kinds of insurance and liability or other hazard issues that schools do. So no temporary outside ice rinks on school properties.

Old 07-09-2023, 03:03 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,413,979 times
I never played ice hockey.

Oh, sure, pickup ball hockey games on the street. But never league ice hockey. More on that later.

Our high school did have a city owned and operated rink nearby. Like, right next door. It doubled as a tennis court in summer. I remember a few ice skating Phys Ed classes on it.

I can skate; I learned how to do so when I was 3 years old.

But I am a figure skater. Dance, specifically. I still have my figure skates from those days, and they still fit. I go out a few times each winter, and have some fun. Wish I had a partner who knew how to ice dance, but few others on the public rink got to the level that I and my partner reached. Most do not even know how to dance.

More specifically, to the OP: Although almost all of us can skate, not everybody does so in order to play hockey. Sometimes, we do it in order to skate for other purposes. Like figure skating.

Old 07-21-2023, 09:54 AM

56 posts, read 23,259 times
When I was a kid almost everyone played we had community clubs in every neighbourhood that don"t exist anymore its become a sport for the rich because its so expensive to play. Cities stopped supporting community clubs.I played for the North-side community club in Portage which does not exist anymore.All games were outdoors even at 30 below except Saturdays when we played the arena. Hockey was available for everyone not just a select few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada