Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2023, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 5,896 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of retiring in Canada. I’m wondering about cell phone carriers there. Where we are there is a monopoly of AT&T and Cox. They are both horrible. The customer service is beyond bad. Are cell phone carriers any better in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 07:31 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,564,146 times
Rogers, Bell and Telus are the big three, most consumers complain about high costs due to lack of competition

Old 08-15-2023, 10:49 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
The cell phone carriers in Canada suck.

I think Canada is a bad idea and would be a great hardship for you and your hubby to try to get used to or to live in. I saw your other posts about what you're looking for when you leave California to retire. Aside from the possibility that you and your husband likely may not qualify to immigrate to Canada because you are too old (retirement age) and you wouldn't bring contributions to the Canadian table, I doubt you would like Canada anyway as it goes counter point to all the California weather, conveniences and amenities you've mentioned you're used to and are looking for in a new location. To hear it from southern Californians of my acquaintance living in Canada has been equated to living rough in a cold, leaky, smokey tent in some primitive backwoods campground, permanently.

The countryside in Canada is on fire, there is a drought, there are tons and tons of strictly enforced water restrictions and conservations now, the winters are definitely not mild and sunny by your southern California standards (not even the west coast), they are extreme and the weather can change from one extreme to another daily without warning (tornadoes, floods, fires, flash freezing or heavy snowfall, etc.). And although there are some Costcos in the bigger cities Trader Joe's doesn't exist anywhere in Canada.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
But Manitoba is sunny and has a lot of water! As long as you don't mind -40 days - they are the sunniest. No Trader Joe's here though.

If you're of retirement age you are unlikely to qualify for immigration. But if you are wealthy enough to invest in a business you might be able to go the investor route.

Old 08-15-2023, 02:21 PM

1,132 posts, read 610,985 times
Lol, trust me... when it comes to horrible monopolies, we have cornered the market here. The only players are Rogers and Bell and Telus in some areas.

Our rates and lack of competition here is infamous. When my buddy travels to NYC, he marvels at the amazing cellular rates he sees everywhere.

And God help you if you don't live in a major city in Canada... then it gets ridiculous (coverage and high rates).

Personally I like Bell's reliability slight better than Rogers or Telus, but I'll be honest - I'll goto whoever has the best rates. They are all horrible and take your business for granted... both for cellular and internet services.

Old 08-16-2023, 04:24 PM

88,559 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
But Manitoba is sunny and has a lot of water! As long as you don't mind -40 days - they are the sunniest. No Trader Joe's here though.

If you're of retirement age you are unlikely to qualify for immigration. But if you are wealthy enough to invest in a business you might be able to go the investor route.

I met a woman when walking in the conservation area when I was staying in Bowmanville (ON) who would get her husband to take her on a trip around Lake Ontario, going down into New York State, so she could go to Trader Joe's. No, they are not in Canada, but you can get equivalent products and maybe other stuff you didn't even know existed on this side of the border.

I particularly like TJ's cheese selection, but you don't have to worry about finding great cheese in Canada, trust me.

I am also too old to move to Canada, but I will spend time here.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasidemel View Post
My husband and I are thinking of retiring in Canada. I’m wondering about cell phone carriers there. Where we are there is a monopoly of AT&T and Cox. They are both horrible. The customer service is beyond bad. Are cell phone carriers any better in Canada?
As mentioned there are the big 3 in Canada, Rogers, bell and Telus and they dominate the market. Canadian cell phone plans are among the highest costing in the world due to low competition and also providers having to cover huge swaths of land for such a small population. The big 3 have 'flanker' brands called Fido, Koodo and Virgin Mobile which are generally cheaper. Public Mobile and Chatr are even 'cheaper' still but again, they are owned by the big 3. Freedom Mobile is another option - i've found their plans generally very competitive with the flanker brands but by American standard - still expensive. I go to the U.S frequently and also have a mint mobile account for 15 USD a month and it is more than good enough for me so i certainly would love to have mint pricing in Canada but that is a pipe dream.

This all said, I find the general quality of all the big 3 and their flanker brands pretty good. The issue in Canada isn't quality or coverage - it is price!

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2023 at 04:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada