Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should drag queen story hour be in public schools?
Yes 12 20.69%
No 46 79.31%
I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 06:50 PM

1,219 posts, read 491,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
100% there is a very distinct culture in construction. Working with a GC, I've seen plenty of the machismo and outright "alpha" male behaviour. They are the types who would think "woke" is a bad word. And political correctness is "ruining" the country. Oh and probably would gladly wear a MAGA cap and chant stop the steal lol.
What a way to paint/stereotype a whole group of people, working class people in this case. Not surprising though, wokring class people are the ones most under attack...... Not very woke of you. Leave these negative stereotypes.

Are you American? Why the MAGA comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 06:55 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
There is such a thing as wisdom of the masses. That's why if you ask a class of 300 students to guess how many M&Ms are in the bowl, the average of responses will be the correct answer. That's why blue collar folks intuitively sense when crap being shuffled into their throats. Intersectionality, Green New Deal or 2Spirits. And they know beyond reasonable doubt how many genders there are. Just like you do.
I guess not.

https://www.mobilize.net/blog/guess-...-data-analysis

Old 09-30-2023, 08:31 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Interesting take... is this now? Are young ppl in rural schools homophobic and tease gay kids?

I've been up north to small towns, and as "friendly" as they may seem, after talking to friends who live up there they tell us that many folks are pretty much more narrow minded and openly racist.

In this day and age of the internet, etc I've always thought that the younger generation are more inclusive?

That is my sense. I don't know about being more racist or narrow-minded - the first time I ever heard a racist slur was in Winnipeg in my early 20s. And working throughout my 20s in Winnipeg, I heard slurs quite a few times, always directed at natives. My nephews, in their 20s now, were called the n word at the private Catholic school they attended in Winnipeg. I haven't heard of that happening here (rural Manitoba).

I would have thought the anti-bullying rules and education in schools of the preceding years might have put an end to gay slurs among other things but it hasn't. Gay slurs still happen in schools here although I'm not sure if the taunters pick their audience carefully. On the other hand at the same time there seems to be an upsurge in gay/bi/trans kids who very visible and don't appear to be the object ( at least not to their faces) of traditional gay bashing. It's the quieter kids who don't fit in and who might not be gay or trans at all who are the subjects of taunting. There's no power in taunting people who are out. At least that's how I see it.

And I'm not sure, short of turning people into robots, that the overall problem of bullies in schools will ever be solved. That's what kids do. Not all kids, not the vast majority, but kids see the weakest link and go for that.

Old 10-02-2023, 03:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd argue being trans today isn't considered weird or unacceptable by most people, but that doesn't mean that every single demand made by trans activists must be accepted without question.

Gays are more accepted than ever but if they started making outrageous demands they'd get pushback too.
In terms of 'demands' it is an interesting way to put it but I think it is sort of natural that certain issues are going to crop up. The whole concept of trans and 2 spirited etc is not new - however our understanding of gender has increased significantly over the last few decades. We are beginning to be able to explain things that really have always existed.

I would say as well that these 'demands' may not just be coming from members of the LGBTQ community either - heterosexuals would be pushing for things, particularly professionals because they need guidance on how to deal with these issues.

Old 10-03-2023, 08:57 AM

333 posts, read 153,214 times
Strippers and sex trade workers are also marginalized groups. In fact, sex trade workers are probably the largest demographic of abused women in society, and come from all income levels and ethnic backgrounds.

Do yo think that attitudes would be different if children were invited to have a story read to them in a public school by a prostitute in her usual (lack of) Saturday night attire?

Old 10-03-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
Strippers and sex trade workers are also marginalized groups. In fact, sex trade workers are probably the largest demographic of abused women in society, and come from all income levels and ethnic backgrounds.

Do yo think that attitudes would be different if children were invited to have a story read to them in a public school by a prostitute in her usual (lack of) Saturday night attire?
So we should equate all groups who are marginalized with sex trade workers and strippers? Do you know any drag queens to test your theory about them?

In terms of most abused women in society - I would imagine that it would be women being abused by their husbands ie domestic violence.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:22 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
So we should equate all groups who are marginalized with sex trade workers and strippers? Do you know any drag queens to test your theory about them?

In terms of most abused women in society - I would imagine that it would be women being abused by their husbands ie domestic violence.
The fact that drag queens (or by extension trans people - which is weird because drag queens and trans women aren't necessarily the same thing at all) have been marginalized is precisely the reason that is used to justify and rationalize their presence reading stories to children, and all of the appeals for us to be understanding and open-minded.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The fact that drag queens (or by extension trans people - which is weird because drag queens and trans women aren't necessarily the same thing at all) have been marginalized is precisely the reason that is used to justify and rationalize their presence reading stories to children, and all of the appeals for us to be understanding and open-minded.
I don't see any connection between a drag queen and someone who is trans. Some drag queens become trans but the vast majority are cisgender men.

Maybe I read wrong but I was understood he was equating drag queens along the lines of sex trade workers and strippers. A drag queen is probably no more linked to being a sex trade worker than any person from society. I definitely don't think there is a big correlation between drag queens and stripping. That was all I was getting at was to caution individuals to not make causal links that don't necessarily exist. Unless again I read his comments incorrectly.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:37 AM

1,219 posts, read 491,363 times
The term "marginalized" is used so much that it is losing it's real meaning. Groups that are really marginalized don't get their own special days, month or flags plastered everywehere, and put on a pedestal. That is the opposite of marginalized. Maybe a hundred years ago the groups we call "marginalized" really were.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
The term "marginalized" is used so much that it is losing it's real meaning. Groups that are really marginalized don't get their own special days, month or flags plastered everywehere, and put on a pedestal. That is the opposite of marginalized. Maybe a hundred years ago the groups we call "marginalized" really were.
Walk in a man or women's shoes Luis. Sometimes what you think is a pedestal isn't. We can call any group whatever we want but we should be open minded about the challenges they face through empathy. That goes across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada