Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 01:18 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
They don't want Hamas terrorists destabilizing their country either. And those who.leave will never be allowed back into Gaza. Israel would be crazy to do that.
I agree with you, it’s unrealistic to expect Israel to allow them into the State of Israel itself, but is it impossible for them to be allowed passage into the West Bank? Maybe via Jordan? I know less than probably anyone about the logistics of this but it seems impossible for Hamas to be defeated without even more massive civilian casualties than there already have been unless a large number of the people of Gaza can be evacuated to safety. I think Canada should allow some asylum seekers to come here as well. There’s got to be a way it can be done. Maybe it’s just naive wishful thinking on my part, but I don’t see the other way. I don’t know how over a million people can be relocated to tents in the southern part of a contiguous urban metropolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 03:23 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I agree with you, it’s unrealistic to expect Israel to allow them into the State of Israel itself, but is it impossible for them to be allowed passage into the West Bank? Maybe via Jordan? I know less than probably anyone about the logistics of this but it seems impossible for Hamas to be defeated without even more massive civilian casualties than there already have been unless a large number of the people of Gaza can be evacuated to safety. I think Canada should allow some asylum seekers to come here as well. There’s got to be a way it can be done. Maybe it’s just naive wishful thinking on my part, but I don’t see the other way. I don’t know how over a million people can be relocated to tents in the southern part of a contiguous urban metropolis
Jordan already has the highest or second highest level of refugees and they've made it clear they aren't taking any more. That's the tragedy of Gaza - no one wants these people. It would be a security nightmare and they would never return to Gaza.

I would be very, very afraid if I were them. They are boxed in and sitting ducks. It's kind of a draw with Israel too because if Israel makes any move the world will be in an uproar. One thing that could potentially help is if the citizens of Gaza turned on their overlords and handed them over to Israel. And also found whatever hostages are still alive and handed them back to Israel but I can't really foresee that happening.

Old 10-24-2023, 04:19 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Woah. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mps...amas-1.7006441

Old 10-24-2023, 10:20 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,323,424 times
Gaza Strip has over 2 million people, occupied West Bank over 3 million Palestinians. And there are over 6 million displaced Palestinians scattered all over the world.
The verbiage engaged goes as below.

‘We will remain on our land’
Al Jazeera English
Oct 21, 2023
~ youtube.com/watch?v=B0NX6fX6uEU

Forced Displacement of Palestinians: 'A Red Line'
BNN Breaking
Oct 21, 2023
~ youtube.com/watch?v=ZsLkx1f9y8w

forced displacement of Palestinians by Israel 'cannot be implemented'
Al Jazeera English
Oct 18, 2023
~ youtube.com/watch?v=bAfb5jCz5KU

Israel Cancels Meetings at UN after these remarks by UN Chief
Mojo Story
Oct 24, 2023
~ youtube.com/watch?v=mEwtCk1QNDw

Old 10-25-2023, 09:57 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
but is it impossible for them to be allowed passage into the West Bank?..........
No one is blocking their passage. They are right on the ocean. No one has blockaded ships carrying aid or taking off escaping citizens.

There is a reason that no other country will let them in or across.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 10-25-2023 at 10:07 AM..

Old 10-25-2023, 10:47 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No one is blocking their passage. They are right on the ocean. No one has blockaded ships carrying aid or taking off escaping citizens.

I believe there is only the Port of Gaza seaport.

“Since 2007, the Port of Gaza has been under an Israeli-imposed naval blockade as part of a blockade of the Gaza Strip, and activities at the port have been restricted to small-scale fishing.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Gaza

Then 2 weeks ago: “Israel is carrying out air strikes on the Gaza port, the Israel Defense Forces has confirmed to CNN, as seen on a live video feed from Reuters.”

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-...84ff308f3b8d62

There is a reason Gaza has been called an open air prison.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:56 AM

1,221 posts, read 494,498 times
This is unfortunate. The Church had an interesting interior.

Quote:
Photos show Gaza's Church of Saint Porphyrius, one of the oldest churches in the world, after the complex was damaged by Israeli airstrikes
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/photos-sho...170505256.html

Old 10-25-2023, 11:54 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I was under the impression they would have to leave through Egypt. Would the Israeli navy intercept boats leaving Gaza? Are there even boats there to carry the massive number of civilians under bombardment? I thought that was a big reason the aid is coming by trucks via Egypt. There’s refugees from all different countries with radical jihadist presence that are able to be properly vetted and be granted asylum in other countries. I don’t think Gaza is unique in that regard. I may be in the minority, but I think Canada can safely take some of these refugees in, and should do so if possible.

Old 10-25-2023, 01:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Jordan already has the highest or second highest level of refugees and they've made it clear they aren't taking any more. That's the tragedy of Gaza - no one wants these people. It would be a security nightmare and they would never return to Gaza.

I would be very, very afraid if I were them. They are boxed in and sitting ducks. It's kind of a draw with Israel too because if Israel makes any move the world will be in an uproar. One thing that could potentially help is if the citizens of Gaza turned on their overlords and handed them over to Israel. And also found whatever hostages are still alive and handed them back to Israel but I can't really foresee that happening.
This would certainly be an ideal. If that narrative can be pushed along that would be great too. Middle Eastern countries should be a part of that as well, instead of giving safe haven to Hamas leadership and being overly critical of Israel's actions and largely turning a blind eye to Hamas. They are complicit.

Hamas dealt as big of a blow to Israel as it could muster and it was horrible, but if they had the capabilities there is no doubt they would have gone even further. I can certainly see why Israel simply wants to rid the world of Hamas but there is no easy way of doing it.

This is about as big of a pickle can be. Naturally everyone laments innocents killed but how do you destroy Hamas and have 'limited' casualties.

Old 10-25-2023, 02:44 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,525,023 times
As I pointed out in another thread, cholera and other deadly infectious diseases (caused by the cutting off of water and electricity to Gaza - no clean water, no sewage treatment) won’t respect Israel’s national border.

By the way, Hamas has created miles and miles of underground tunnels where the hostages could be stashed away. I doubt Hamas blabs about the hostages’ locations. It’s probably need to know. The attack on Israel was actually planned using a phone network inside the tunnels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada