Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 09:08 AM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Easier to do so - maybe. You're right about how mixed people tend to be these days. Manitoba MP Leah Gazan is a very prominent and vocal Indigenous activist. Her background: Jewish Holocaust survivor dad from Europe and a mother who is half Indigenous North American and half Chinese.
I bet if she took a ancestry DNA test she would probably get around 5-10% indigenous to the Americas. She is so annoying. it's crazy to me how she beat an actual indigenous person in her riding, a really good candidate too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 09:13 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
[quote=Luisito80;66018460]
Quote:

I bet if she took a ancestry DNA test she would probably get around 5-10% indigenous to the Americas. She is so annoying. it's crazy to me how she beat an actual indigenous person in her riding, a really good candidate too.
No comment on her politics or her being annoying but I actually find she's pretty good-looking.

Old 10-31-2023, 09:26 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I'm not sure that I'm understanding the outrage here. Oh, certainly, the First Nations can be outraged, and rightly so. But for the rest of us ....

Fact is, that Buffy Sainte Marie hasn't been relevant in about forty or fifty years. I'd suggest that most of us, at least those of us who can remember that far back, know her as a folk/rock musician, who rode the wave of Canadian Content regulations after they were introduced for radio in early 1971. Radio was so starved for Canadian content, that any garage band could take a demo tape into a radio station, and if it was anywhere near good, it would get airplay. And so, we got Keith Hampshire*, Gary and Dave, Ken Tobias, Larry Evoy**, Ray Materick, and Peter Foldy, among others. Never heard of them? I'm not surprised; with only a few exceptions, their music and thus, their names, did not survive.

And Buffy Sainte Marie might as well join them. I can name songs by the above (Ray Materick, "Linda, Put The Coffee On," Ken Tobias, "I Just Wanna Make Music," Peter Foldy, "Bondi Junction," Gary and Dave, "Could You Ever Love Me Again?"). Might as well add Patsy Gallant and "From New York to L.A.," though she came a little later. But I cannot name a song by Buffy Sainte Marie. Maybe she's not as relevant as she and the CBC thinks she is.

I say that as a former radio host. Buffy Sainte Marie was not in our "Cancon to fill out the 30% in the hour" go-to bin; while Gordon Lightfoot, Rush, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Klaatu, the Guess Who, and by extension, Burton Cummings, were. Like I said, maybe she's not as relevant as she and the CBC thinks she is.

* Keith Hampshire recorded "Daytime Night-Time," and "The First Cut is the Deepest," but may be best known for writing and recording the Toronto Blue Jays' theme song, "Okay, Blue Jays."

** Larry Evoy may be best known as the lead of "Edward Bear," which did have a couple of international hits--"Last Song," "You, Me, and Mexico," and "Close Your Eyes" all charted in the US.
You're right.....she only released two album since her stint on Sesame Street....

As for Cancon....she released most of her albums before that came into play...
I don't think any of them sold well....to me her biggest claims to fame are
writing the song "Universal Soldier"....Donovan had a hit with it in 1965....
and writing "Up Where We Belong" with her husband, which was the theme song for the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman"...
Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes sung it and took it to number 1 ....40 years ago!

As for early 70s Cancon.....

The Stampeders "Sweet City Woman" comes to mind....couldn't turn on a radio in 1971 without hearing that song....went to number 1 in Canada and number 8 on US Billboard Hot Hundred.
They had a few other memorable tunes ...."Carry Me" ..."Oh My Lady"...."Wild Eyes".....and their last hit....a cover of Ray Charles 1961 hit....."Hit the Road, Jack".

Last edited by GTB365; 10-31-2023 at 09:46 AM..

Old 10-31-2023, 10:50 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
What did she do to help the Cree - build a school? Or a hospital? Housing?
Buffy Sainte Marie claimed, at various times during her life, to have Algonquin (Ontario), Mi'kmaq (Atlantic Canada), and Cree (Ontario and prairies) ancestry.

For education, she developed k-12 curricula for children that claimed to put Indigenous educators in the driver's seat. She claimed to be an authority in Indigenous education. However, today we know that she had neither knowledge, nor skills, in authentic Indigenous ways of learning. Her curriculum imitates standard non-Indigenous ways of teaching, learning, and assessment.

She has interfered with, and damaged, the identify of generations of Indigenous People by representing her personal Italian/ British/ American views of Indigenous history as authentic Indigenous beliefs.

"The goal of the Cradleboard Teaching Project is to raise self-identity and self-esteem in present and future generations of Indian children by putting Native American educators into the driver's seat of delivering accurate and enriching teaching materials into the hands of teachers in all American schools."

Cradleboard Note to Native Teachers

All proceeds for the Cradleboard project go to her foundation:

Buffy Sainte-Marie: The Nihewan Foundation was created in 1969 by a young songwriter with a teacher’s degree and a lot of money.

https://www.nihewan.org/founder

Although the Nihewan Foundation claims to have given scholarships, no one is identified as having personally received a scholarship. Knowing that Buffy Sainte Marie has perpetrated a fraud on generations of Indigenous People for 60 years, I don't think we can believe anything she says.

Old 10-31-2023, 11:15 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Buffy Sainte Marie claimed, at various times during her life, to have Algonquin (Ontario), Mi'kmaq (Atlantic Canada), and Cree (Ontario and prairies) ancestry.

For education, she developed k-12 curricula for children that claimed to put Indigenous educators in the driver's seat. She claimed to be an authority in Indigenous education. However, today we know that she had neither knowledge, nor skills, in authentic Indigenous ways of learning. Her curriculum imitates standard non-Indigenous ways of teaching, learning, and assessment.

She has interfered with, and damaged, the identify of generations of Indigenous People by representing her personal Italian/ British/ American views of Indigenous history as authentic Indigenous beliefs.

"The goal of the Cradleboard Teaching Project is to raise self-identity and self-esteem in present and future generations of Indian children by putting Native American educators into the driver's seat of delivering accurate and enriching teaching materials into the hands of teachers in all American schools."

Cradleboard Note to Native Teachers

All proceeds for the Cradleboard project go to her foundation:

Buffy Sainte-Marie: The Nihewan Foundation was created in 1969 by a young songwriter with a teacher’s degree and a lot of money.

https://www.nihewan.org/founder

Although the Nihewan Foundation claims to have given scholarships, no one is identified as having personally received a scholarship. Knowing that Buffy Sainte Marie has perpetrated a fraud on generations of Indigenous People for 60 years, I don't think we can believe anything she says.
I bet she never learned the language(s) either.

Old 10-31-2023, 11:22 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I bet she never learned the language(s) either.
I don't think she speaks much of any language other than English but even so, most Indigenous people on the Canadian Prairies (especially the further south you get) often don't speak anything other than English these days either.

Old 10-31-2023, 12:27 PM

7,307 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that I'm understanding the outrage here. Oh, certainly, the First Nations can be outraged, and rightly so. But for the rest of us ....

Fact is, that Buffy Sainte Marie hasn't been relevant in about forty or fifty years. I'd suggest that most of us, at least those of us who can remember that far back, know her as a folk/rock musician, who rode the wave of Canadian Content regulations after they were introduced for radio in early 1971. Radio was so starved for Canadian content, that any garage band could take a demo tape into a radio station, and if it was anywhere near good, it would get airplay. And so, we got Keith Hampshire*, Gary and Dave, Ken Tobias, Larry Evoy**, Ray Materick, and Peter Foldy, among others. Never heard of them? I'm not surprised; with only a few exceptions, their music and thus, their names, did not survive.

And Buffy Sainte Marie might as well join them. I can name songs by the above (Ray Materick, "Linda, Put The Coffee On," Ken Tobias, "I Just Wanna Make Music," Peter Foldy, "Bondi Junction," Gary and Dave, "Could You Ever Love Me Again?"). Might as well add Patsy Gallant and "From New York to L.A.," though she came a little later. But I cannot name a song by Buffy Sainte Marie. Maybe she's not as relevant as she and the CBC thinks she is.

I say that as a former radio host. Buffy Sainte Marie was not in our "Cancon to fill out the 30% in the hour" go-to bin; while Gordon Lightfoot, Rush, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Klaatu, the Guess Who, and by extension, Burton Cummings, were. Like I said, maybe she's not as relevant as she and the CBC thinks she is.

* Keith Hampshire recorded "Daytime Night-Time," and "The First Cut is the Deepest," but may be best known for writing and recording the Toronto Blue Jays' theme song, "Okay, Blue Jays."

** Larry Evoy may be best known as the lead of "Edward Bear," which did have a couple of international hits--"Last Song," "You, Me, and Mexico," and "Close Your Eyes" all charted in the US.
The outrage isn't based on how popular her music is but that she lied about her ancestry.

Old 10-31-2023, 06:31 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
But I cannot name a song by Buffy Sainte Marie...
"Universal Soldier", also covered by The Highwaymen and Scottish folk artist Donovan. It was very popular among antiwar groups down here in the '60's though it was not Buffy who made it a hit song. Buffy was popular enough to perform on Johnny Cash's variety show, that I know.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:06 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Yes, thank you! Now I recall, though I'm more familiar with Donovan's version.

Old 11-03-2023, 12:09 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:

Fact is, that Buffy Sainte Marie hasn't been relevant in about forty or fifty years. I'd suggest that most of us, at least those of us who can remember that far back, know her as a folk/rock musician .
I assumed Buffy was more well known in Canada. Here in the U.S you never hear of her. Maybe some of the more hardcore Folk music listeners know her here in the U.S.

PBS had her documentary "Carry It On" listed for re-airing. They showed another documentary instead. I wonder if it was related to this current controversy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada