Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 02:37 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times

Advertisements

The Canadians I hunt fish , work with and visit are good hard working people. Folks seem to think that when you cross the line on a Rand McNally map people are different, their not .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 02:58 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
What I should have said : Canada is a multicultural country with a diverse population. Canadians come from a vast range of nations, races, religions and heritage, which is one of the distinctive features of Canadian society.

I did not mean to omit Canadians that come from different ethnic origins.

Sorry about that.
That is very true and the habit of saying sorry a lot is just a habit, probably from the part of the heritage which is British. We do the same thing here and it is just a fairly meaningless habit. A book I read by an English social anthropology discussed the whole privacy issue. So how it was polite in England to say hello to strangers when on a walk until about 9am, after which there are too many people about. How the front yard of a house is more public but not the back. So if you want to chat to a neighbour it should be done when they are out the front. We have a lot of those type of unwritten rules here.

We actually found the people in Quebec really friendly, more so than in other regions. But everyone is different. We have just been on a tour in Europe with fourteen Americans. Eight were very friendly and six were actually very unfriendly. The friendly ones wanted to know if we celebrate Christmas here, it being summer. At least Canadians do not have that issue!

Old 11-29-2023, 10:32 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Glad to help.

Canada really took on a massive risk that day. Willing to take a chance on OUR safety to help the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Yellow_Ribbon
Thanks, Canada.

Interesingly, the man who was the head of the NYC metro airports and whose office was in the World Trade Center was in Toronto on 9/11. He had to drive home.

He would, strangely, die on September 11, 2009. Good guy. I worked for him for about six months in 2006.

Old 11-30-2023, 01:04 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks, Canada.

Interesingly, the man who was the head of the NYC metro airports and whose office was in the World Trade Center was in Toronto on 9/11. He had to drive home.

He would, strangely, die on September 11, 2009. Good guy. I worked for him for about six months in 2006.
Wow! Just goes to show you how many stories are left untold.

Old 11-30-2023, 01:21 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think this might have happened in every province. International flights also landed in Winnipeg. https://www.waa.ca/en/newsroom/view/...eptember-11th/
I'm pretty sure it did happen in a lot of provinces, and even the Yukon Territory and NWT hosted a flight each. I was living in Toronto at the time, and it was on the news that a few American-bound aircraft had landed at Pearson.

Remember, aircraft use great circle routes, so it is not unusual for Canada to be a "flyover country" for flights from Europe or the Pacific Rim to the US. Have a look at Flightradar sometime, especially in western Canada; Calgary for example. You'll find various longhaul flights overflying Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, from Europe, and bound for Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. On 9/11, such flights would have been diverted to airports, such as Calgary, Edmonton, and of course, Winnipeg, that could handle them before they got to the United States.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:27 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I was remarked upon once, by an American here in Alberta, that I spoke English excellently, "with no trace of a French accent." Here in Alberta, of all places! But those were her words.
This comes up fairly regularly. I think that for many Americans who are "low information" (when it comes to Canada) there aren't that many things that stick out as foreign about Canada and French is just an obvious thing for them that is foreign.

Being low information people to begin with they then extrapolate that perception across the entire country even if it's not accurate.

Old 11-30-2023, 11:00 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Wow! Just goes to show you how many stories are left untold.
As part of the "9/11 community", I know a lot of stories. They are endless.

The rest of the story regarding the Aviation Director is that within a week or so before his death, and that eighth anniversary on which he died, someone who had worked on the pile showed someone from the Port Authority a strip of photos, like those you would do for an ID or in a photo booth and said he had found them while working on the cleanup, and he had kept them.

He did not know who the person was or whether he had lived or died, but when he showed them to the PA employee, he said, "Oh, that's Bill Decota, our Aviation Director."

The guy who had the pictures mailed them to Bill that week, but they arrived after he died (of kidney failure after a surgery). Just strange.

Old 11-30-2023, 11:29 AM

3,461 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Speaking of aviation - fly Donair.

Old 11-30-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Speaking of aviation - fly Donair.
You probably don't want to know what this name evokes for French-speaking Canadians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossair

Old 11-30-2023, 11:50 AM

The Buick La Crosse was renamed the Allure in Canada for a similar reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_LaCrosse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada