Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 10:51 AM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Again there is nothing unique about that. There are many places along the border where you can legally just walk across the border. You do not need a passport to hike between Glacier NP into Waterton Lakes NP. That's why I posted the above picture of the hikers crossing the border. Do you see anyone checking their passports?

No passport is necessary to walk or drive across the border in either direction at the International Peace Garden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRGmRbcSpUQ

…

https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/wat...international#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2023, 11:15 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,299,473 times
Quote:
Again there is nothing unique about that. There are many places along the border where you can legally just walk across the border. You do not need a passport to hike between Glacier NP into Waterton Lakes NP. That's why I posted the above picture of the hikers crossing the border. Do you see anyone checking their passports?

No passport is necessary to walk or drive across the border in either direction at the International Peace Garden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRGmRbcSpUQ
Not having to show proper ID when crossing the border are tolerated in instances where the border is at public parks, monument, etc...as long as you remain within these confined areas, that does not mean that is is legal to cross the border at these places with no passport and wandering through the US or Canada.

I'm not an expert on these issues but I believe that when you cross the border, for example, during a hike in the mountains, you are theoretically required to self report yourself to the nearest custom authorities or by phone. Few probably do but I believe it is required in theory.

Old 12-26-2023, 01:57 PM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Not having to show proper ID when crossing the border are tolerated in instances where the border is at public parks, monument, etc...as long as you remain within these confined areas, that does not mean that is is legal to cross the border at these places with no passport and wandering through the US or Canada.

I'm not an expert on these issues but I believe that when you cross the border, for example, during a hike in the mountains, you are theoretically required to self report yourself to the nearest custom authorities or by phone. Few probably do but I believe it is required in theory.
Yes, I have a friend who has a friend with a house on the US side of the Thousand Islands. When you go out in a boat and cross over to the Canadian side, even if you are still on the water, you are supposed to check in and let them know. He says he always does that, even though the friend with the boat doesn't initiate it.

Old 12-26-2023, 02:01 PM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
And I have no doubt that if he does that, then the CBSA will, in polite Canadian fashion, direct Mr. North Carolina to the U-Turn lane back to the US, and give him a document that tells US authorities at the US checkpoint that he was not admitted to Canada; and thus, should not be subject to US Customs and Immigration inspection. End result: no admittance to Canada and sent back in the USA.

In the end, it's the CBSA officer on the ground who makes the final decision. Not information on a website. If the CBSA officer asks for a passport, you'd better provide one. If you have none (or another acceptable document, such as an enhanced driver's license from states that have them), you won't be admitted. It will be no use to argue with the CBSA officer at the checkpoint about what a website says; what that officer says on the spot at that time, goes.

As with so many other legal things, I suppose that decision is appealable. Come back in six to eight weeks and you can have your day in court.

You understand the worth of a passport. It is a universal identity document, basically, that says you are who you say you are, and that you are a citizen of the country that issued the passport. Look closely at the fine print within it--your passport remains the property of the issuing government. This allows your government to get involved if your passport is taken from you and not returned by another government. As you know, MQ, a passport is a powerful document, and is recognized and respected throughout the world. I've held a Canadian passport since I was 17; and while I've used it to travel internationally, it has also come in handy in foreign lands for buying alcohol, tobacco, and proving that I was old enough to gamble. It is the identity document that is irrefutable.

So I am puzzled by Americans who do not have one and do not want one. "Oh, it takes too much time," and "Oh, it costs too much," seem to be the most common reasons for not getting one. Then they want to come to Canada, and when told that they will need a passport, try to find any loophole that means that they don't need one. If they put as much time and effort into actually getting a passport as they do into arguing why they don't need one to come to Canada, they'd have a passport by now.

MQ, you and your US passport will be welcome in Canada any time. So will all the Americans who have US passports. But those without--nope, sorry. There's the U-Turn lane, see ya.
US Customs will ignore the note from Canada Immigration and do whatever they want to do. I've seen no end of stories on the Border Security shows where a US citizen makes a wrong turn and heads to Canada, gets rejected, and then gets searched and arrested by CBP for one reason or another.

Old 12-26-2023, 03:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
US Customs will ignore the note from Canada Immigration and do whatever they want to do. I've seen no end of stories on the Border Security shows where a US citizen makes a wrong turn and heads to Canada, gets rejected, and then gets searched and arrested by CBP for one reason or another.
US Customs MIGHT ignore it. IDK, perhaps there is an official " note " that Canada Customs issues that has some weight. Still, yes, both sides of the border, the custom official you get, is the one in charge.

The difference in your Border Security show example is that those people entered Canada without going through a border point. Much different than someone legally showing up at a border point and being rejected.

One famous story was of a French woman, running on the beach near the US border at Peace Arch. She entered the US unknowingly, and was arrested and held for 2 weeks. Overkill.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...eeks-1.4717060

Old 12-26-2023, 03:40 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yes, I know how that works. If you hike into the US you have to report your entry on an app. If you hike into Canada you have to make a phone call to CBSA, and let them know. Or, don't. Nobody will know anyway. There is nobody out in the backcountry to check your passport.

Old 12-26-2023, 03:44 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

Well there you go. In theory.

Old 12-27-2023, 06:06 PM

12,396 posts, read 9,502,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I appreciate all of the Polite responses. It is just one way the world has changed. I mentioned earlier that in the 70s and 80s most times no identification at all was required of me. At the most a normal driver’s license which probably had a photo.

My quandary was around needing the same documents for two different identification devices, Real ID and passport. But what the hay, it’s a sign of the times. It is what it is so a new passport will be sought.
Yes, times have changed. It's true that years ago one could enter Canada with just a US driver's license - I did it that way at least a dozen times myself via plane and car. But times have changed. The Canadian government now exercises more rigor at the border and you need to present a passport - just like when arriving at any other country.

I used to travel a lot for work, but my research days are long behind me, and my own passport has expired awhile ago. Soon I will retire and I want to do extended road trips around the US as well as in Canada. Hopefully I can find the required docs without too much trouble after many moves over the years. One way or another though, I am sure I'll work through it. If you're a AAA member and have a local office, they provided services to assist with getting Real ID and passports as well if I recall - they may be a little more customer-oriented than the typical government office.

Old 12-29-2023, 01:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,556 posts, read 81,131,933 times
We drive up into Canada often using only our WA state "enhanced" driver's licenses. Your "RealID" cannot be used to cross the border into Canada. Here in our state we have a special agreement with Canada that allows us to enter by land or water using the enhanced license. Besides Washington State, people with enhanced license or ID from Minnesota, South Dakota, Michigan, New York, or Vermont can be allowed to travel to Canada without a Passport. If not from those states it requires a passport.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:15 PM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Yes, I know how that works. If you hike into the US you have to report your entry on an app. If you hike into Canada you have to make a phone call to CBSA, and let them know. Or, don't. Nobody will know anyway. There is nobody out in the backcountry to check your passport.
Right. There is nobody there to check... Until there is.

Point being, you're SUPPOSED to carry one. Why not just carry it instead of hoping no one is there to check? Anything can happen that might alert the authorities. And then what? "Oh, I didn't obey your rules because USUALLY no one is here to check?"

You know what else people do all the time with no one checking? Drive without a driver's license. People do it for years. Some go about their whole lives driving without one. Would it be wise to suggest that people just not bother with getting driver's licenses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada