Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2023, 09:30 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times

Advertisements

I spent some time in upstate Vermont over the Christmas holiday - renting a cabin on a farm in Northfield. I didn't expect to see much Canadian influence there, but my first clue was hearing the FM radio broadcast in the car in French. I decided to go with it and sought out Canadian dishes locally - my favorite part of culture is the tasty part! ;-)

I found some poutine at a pub with a good kitchen, and had that paired with a grilled steak, onion and mushroom sandwich - magnifique! I also found a bakery that made tourtiere and ordered one of these - loved this as well and am still happily eating the leftovers! And I also found a creperie and had some nice cinnamon breakfast crepes with (of course) maple syrup. Well done, Canada!

Historically, have a good many Canadians settled in northern Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 10:53 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I spent some time in upstate Vermont over the Christmas holiday - renting a cabin on a farm in Northfield. I didn't expect to see much Canadian influence there, but my first clue was hearing the FM radio broadcast in the car in French. I decided to go with it and sought out Canadian dishes locally - my favorite part of culture is the tasty part! ;-)

I found some poutine at a pub with a good kitchen, and had that paired with a grilled steak, onion and mushroom sandwich - magnifique! I also found a bakery that made tourtiere and ordered one of these - loved this as well and am still happily eating the leftovers! And I also found a creperie and had some nice cinnamon breakfast crepes with (of course) maple syrup. Well done, Canada!

Historically, have a good many Canadians settled in northern Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine?
That area had massive Canadian immigration 120 - 100 years ago, and of course still has connections over the border as these are two neighbouring areas and the Canadian side has the closest big city for people in northern New England. While French as a living language is vestigial in that area, a very large percentage of the population is ethnically connected to French Canada through their family trees. Alot of French Canadian last names down there.

Old 12-27-2023, 06:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
That area had massive Canadian immigration 120 - 100 years ago, and of course still has connections over the border as these are two neighbouring areas and the Canadian side has the closest big city for people in northern New England. While French as a living language is vestigial in that area, a very large percentage of the population is ethnically connected to French Canada through their family trees. A lot of French Canadian last names down there.
Interesting, thanks for the info :-) Was this period of massive immigration a difficult one for Canada then?

Old 12-27-2023, 07:16 PM

3,971 posts, read 5,764,113 times
Heh. Vermont ("Green Mountain") itself is a French name. I do not doubt a lot of Quebecois have moved over to Northern New England over the years to look for more farmland and better opportunities. A former colleague also had poutine in Burlington. The tourist signs over the New Hampshire border greeting out of state visitors also say "bonjour!". In Maine (yet another French name), the far northern part is the Aroostook Valley where French reportedly can still be heard on a daily basis. There are strong ties to neighboring Quebec and New Brunswick, the three of which form this quasi-entity called Madawaska that transcends borders. On a side note, former Maine Governor Paul Lepage's first language was French.

Old 12-28-2023, 11:31 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Interesting, thanks for the info :-) Was this period of massive immigration a difficult one for Canada then?
Canada, French Canada, especially, wasn't as industrialized or socially progressive as the United States at this time and had a very high birthrate, so people left to find industrial work in New England and live a lifestyle they couldn't back home. This tapered off as Canada developed into a modern, industrialized country with low birthrates and lifestyles that were very similar to those in New England.

Old 12-28-2023, 11:42 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Canada, French Canada, especially, wasn't as industrialized or socially progressive as the United States at this time and had a very high birthrate, so people left to find industrial work in New England and live a lifestyle they couldn't back home. This tapered off as Canada developed into a modern, industrialized country with low birthrates and lifestyles that were very similar to those in New England.
Yeah, much of Canada in general was backward compared to the US at the time. French Canadians were probably an order or two of magnitude worse off than Anglo-Canadians in terms of poverty, though lots of English-speaking Canadians especially from Atlantic Canada also moved to the US during that time. Obviously it didn't take long for them to no longer stand out from local Americans, contrary to their francophone compatriots.

(One of my grandfathers was working in New York City when Charles Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic, and was in the Manhattan crowd that acclaimed him after his exploit.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada