Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 09:47 AM

2,396 posts, read 1,564,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
It's nice to see you are perfectly fine with the leader of a supposedly democratic country violating the very Charter than grants the rights and freedoms to the people he is supposed to govern.

You're not the solution, pal. You're part of the problem.
I merely state people are polarized on this issue and even if the courts cleared his use of this legislation folks who don't like that he did will not vote for him, folks that supported it probably will. The court ruling alone will not influence votes in the next election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 11:11 AM

333 posts, read 153,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I agree, although I kind of doubt Trudeau/Freeland will be criminally prosecuted. I do think it will have some negative impact for their party in the election (but not as much as economic issues).
I'm not sure how much worse it can get for them.

https://338canada.com/federal.htm

Old 01-24-2024, 02:05 PM

42 posts, read 15,977 times
These are great news, but very surprising. I didn't think anything like this would be possible in today's Canada.

How does this even legally work? I thought that the decision has been made already last spring, so did someone appeal it? Was someone reviewing it? Also what does this mean for Trudeau government and all the people affected? I have donated to freedom convoy. I guess I haven't donated enough, so my bank account wasn't frozen, but I know the funds they raised were seized and I have no idea what happened to it. Can I get my money back?

Anyway, this is a step in the right direction, and I'm really happy about it. It was really sad and scary, these things have even happen in supposedly first world democratic country, and it's even crazier that some people were supporting this. Convoy did nothing wrong, and the only reason some people are hating on it is because they don't agree with their cause. So it is scary, that some people actually think its ok to freeze the bank accounts, trample them with horses, beat them up, force them out of their jobs and arrest and hold them without bail for months (when the actual violent offenders are out on bail withing a few days) if you don't agree with their cause. Are people that stupid, that it can happen to them too, if they happen to disagree with the government? That's not how western democracies are supposed to work.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:10 PM

577 posts, read 1,475,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayleae1 View Post
Canada's Federal Court ruled on Tuesday that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's use of the Emergencies Act in 2022 to punish protesting truckers was both unreasonable and unconstitutional.

"I have concluded that the decision to issue the Proclamation does not bear the hallmarks of reasonableness — justification, transparency and intelligibility — and was not justified in relation to the relevant factual and legal constraints that were required to be taken into consideration," wrote Justice Richard G. Mosley in his ruling.

Deputy PM says Trudeau's government will appeal the federal court’s ruling because they believe invoking the Emergencies Act was "right" and "necessary" at the time.

Finally, a victory for Canada's democracy, and true justice!

Old 01-24-2024, 11:25 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,095,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninella View Post
These are great news, but very surprising. I didn't think anything like this would be possible in today's Canada.

How does this even legally work? I thought that the decision has been made already last spring, so did someone appeal it? Was someone reviewing it? Also what does this mean for Trudeau government and all the people affected? I have donated to freedom convoy. I guess I haven't donated enough, so my bank account wasn't frozen, but I know the funds they raised were seized and I have no idea what happened to it. Can I get my money back?

Anyway, this is a step in the right direction, and I'm really happy about it. It was really sad and scary, these things have even happen in supposedly first world democratic country, and it's even crazier that some people were supporting this. Convoy did nothing wrong, and the only reason some people are hating on it is because they don't agree with their cause. So it is scary, that some people actually think its ok to freeze the bank accounts, trample them with horses, beat them up, force them out of their jobs and arrest and hold them without bail for months (when the actual violent offenders are out on bail withing a few days) if you don't agree with their cause. Are people that stupid, that it can happen to them too, if they happen to disagree with the government? That's not how western democracies are supposed to work.
There's always the option to litigate the government over it's laws, etc. In this case, the Canadian Civil Liberties Association and Canadian Constitutional Foundation, along with other groups/individuals took it to court. I think the door is now open for people affected to litigate for compensation. The Trudeau government is planning on appealing the decision though.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:38 AM

3,111 posts, read 1,006,463 times
It looks more like Cuba, only colder.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:48 AM

463 posts, read 285,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
It looks more like Cuba, only colder.
Like father, like son.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:37 AM

143 posts, read 110,786 times
Look, ma: another convoy!

Old 01-29-2024, 07:24 AM

2,396 posts, read 1,564,146 times
Quote:
wrong forum - southern border

Old 01-29-2024, 07:26 AM

1,221 posts, read 494,498 times
Quote:
Wrong country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada