Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 12:51 PM

992 posts, read 515,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In Canada there is no government agency counselling people who want MAID. The only thing the government did, was make it legal. Doctors, or anybody really, is not allowed to offer or suggest MAID. The person must request it, then has. to go through medical hoops etc before they are granted it.

MAiD - End-of-Life Law and Policy in Canada | End-of-Life Law and Policy in Canada.
Per the bolded, it still seems to happen though, but likely not common. When a patient says" What are my options?", it is listed along with the others, right?

I personally support MAID as a choice for a cognizant patient, but a govt with single payer health care only, needs to tread REAL light IMO.

Old 01-31-2024, 04:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
Per the bolded, it still seems to happen though, but likely not common. When a patient says" What are my options?", it is listed along with the others, right?

I personally support MAID as a choice for a cognizant patient, but a govt with single payer health care only, needs to tread REAL light IMO.
There is one known case in Ontario I believe, where a caseworker brought it up to 4 different patients. She was fired.

"MacAulay said the four instances, which took place between 2019 and May 2022, were "all related to one single employee and it's not a widespread or a systemic issue," and added that the RCMP was also contacted for potential charges."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/para...ying-1.6179325

Nurses and doctors can give a patient information about MAID but ONLY if the patient asks, otherwise the could be breaking the criminal code in counselling a person to commit suicide.

This bit is in regards to RN's and from their guidelines, but applies to all medical personal.

"The RN must be mindful that subsection 241(a) of the Criminal Code makes it a criminal offence to “counsel” a person to commit suicide. Due to the criminal significance of the word “counsel” (to encourage, solicit or incite), an RN must be mindful not to encourage or incite a patient to seek MAID in their role as a member of a MAID team."

https://cnps.ca/article/medical-assi...mmit%20suicide.

Also any hospital, doctors, RN or Nurse practitioner, can refuse to participate in MAID if they choose.

So if a patients asks what are my options, after being given the news? From what I've read, it won't be brought up. Most people, especially terminally ill people know about MAID. I'm not sure if the doctor can mention it to a family member or friend as an option, but again that might fall under incite.

Perhaps Chevy, our resident lawyer, can answer.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-31-2024 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-01-2024, 02:49 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Perhaps Chevy, our resident lawyer, can answer.
It doesn't appear that I need to. You have learned well, young Grasshopper.

Old 02-01-2024, 03:20 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Canada, leading the way in the decline of western civilization.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyspoons View Post
it doesn't appear that i need to. You have learned well, young grasshopper.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Canada, leading the way in the decline of western civilization.
Compassion is a good thing.

Also Canada was not the first to legalize it as a country. The Netherlands did in 2002.

Some of your states have gone half way. In Oregon for instance, euthanasia is illegal, meaning a medical professional can't administer the drugs, but can prescribe you a lethal dose. So a " do it yourself " way to go. This has been legal since 1997.

I much prefer the MAID system in Canada, where medical professionals ( 2 if you do it at home ) come and do it. Less chance of something going horribly wrong etc.

As for Canada leading the decline of western civilization. I know! We've just introduced a national dental plan for people who qualify. That horrible UHC must be so bad. Can't understand why Canadians want more of it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/den...ears-1.7100722
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada