Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2024, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,002 times

Advertisements

In fact, I hate to break it up to you, but as a Canadian myself, I feel the need to rant this out.

Despite the left-leaning ideologies and progressiveness in the country, in suburban Ontario there is still some of the dislike and a little bit of a contempt for some minority groups (usually Blacks) and some classism. Some of my friends (even some who are Black) had made comments about how Blacks in the US are dumb, stupid, uneducated, reckless, and incompetent. Sometimes when they see a minority who doesn't has a high paying job or had ****ty things happen to them. Like hell, even as a Black-Canadian myself it actually disappointed me. There was a Black friend who made a rant about Blacks being incompetent just because there were only a few of them in his university, saying that all they're interested in is hip-hop, gangbanging, and other nonsense. Really man?

Some of them seem to have this "I'm better than you" mentality. They think that they can pick on you just because they're attractive, have tons of money, etc. This type of behavior was commonplace in two high schools that I used to attend, with my classmates always picking and harassing an overweight kid multiple times, often talking behind his back. They even did this to me too, as I was always shamed publicly in front of the damn class for a stupid little mistake, threatened with a punch in the face, and harassed by older kids. The overweight kid was bothered by the constant picking by the other students that he had to transfer to another school.

Another thing that bothers me is how they don't seem to take people's mental health seriously. In fact, most of the time when you tell people about your issues, you will, almost always, be met with the same asinine "people had it worse than you" nonsense or the "oppression olympics" stuff, such as "oh, suffered worse, so respect me" and nonsense like that. I told a friend of mine that my classmate in my university (who I'm great friends with) suffered from bipolar disorder and was feeling suicidal, yet he said something behind the lines of "he's using you for sympathy and saying that as an excuse to manipulate you." What the ****?

I apologize if I'm being too rant-like and pissy, but it had got to the point that my frustration had reached my peak, and I decided to address this because I'm annoyed by the mentality by some individuals. I mean, It's a great country, and I always want to come back here to visit, usually Toronto and Brampton. In fact, I kinda like Toronto to be honest, because they seem to be really down-to-earth and passionate people, empathetic, and they appear to take mental health seriously in that city, so Toronto is alright to me (the only negative qualities are the homelessness and the costly prices, but still). The thing that bothers me about Canada is the mentality of some (but not all of course) individuals sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada