Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times

Advertisements

This is a long but interesting read over a disputed island off the coasts of Maine and Grand Manan Island, NB. There are just so many things like this the ordinary citizen wouldn't know about.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...t-newtab-en-us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times
There is one other Canadian Island that is essentially controlled by the US.

https://youtu.be/h2-wShljTT4?si=fvTt76t7o4O4FZbw

Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
There is one other Canadian Island that is essentially controlled by the US.

https://youtu.be/h2-wShljTT4?si=fvTt76t7o4O4FZbw
I visited Campobello Island approx. three months before this video was uploaded onto Youtube. It was the shortest visit to Canada I had ever taken, lasting only two hours and just to see the Roosevelt Campobello International Park where you have Canadians telling about American history. I'd recommend visiting at least once in your lifetime and going back across the border, be sure to also also check out West Quoddy Head, which is the easternmost part of the continental U.S. The site even has its own dedicated marker.

Campobello Island to me is in a different category than Machias Seal Island though. For starters, the straight separating it from Lubec, Maine is almost longitudinally the same as the St. Croix River and therefore ought to be rightfully Canadian with respect to the boundaries created by the Webster-Ashburton Treaty. Yes, in modern times it feels kind of silly to be a solitary island in the Atlantic Time Zone but cut off from the rest of New Brunswick in which an inhabitant has to cross an international border just to shop for groceries, fill up petrol, or visit a hospital. When I was at FDR's summer cottage however, the tour guide told us that during the time the Roosevelts stayed on the Island, access (and real estate purchasing) was much easier and no one cared which nation owned the island. There was none of the border crossing trepidation the guides in this Youtube video mentioned about back 120 years ago. Geographically, Grand Manan Island looks more like it could have and perhaps should have belonged to the U.S. than Campobello but my article mentioned during the 1817 border treaty, it was already established that Grand Manan Island belonged to British Nova Scotia and the Americans did not contest that.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I visited Campobello Island approx. three months before this video was uploaded onto Youtube. It was the shortest visit to Canada I had ever taken, lasting only two hours and just to see the Roosevelt Campobello International Park where you have Canadians telling about American history. I'd recommend visiting at least once in your lifetime and going back across the border, be sure to also also check out West Quoddy Head, which is the easternmost part of the continental U.S. The site even has its own dedicated marker.

Campobello Island to me is in a different category than Machias Seal Island though. For starters, the straight separating it from Lubec, Maine is almost longitudinally the same as the St. Croix River and therefore ought to be rightfully Canadian with respect to the boundaries created by the Webster-Ashburton Treaty. Yes, in modern times it feels kind of silly to be a solitary island in the Atlantic Time Zone but cut off from the rest of New Brunswick in which an inhabitant has to cross an international border just to shop for groceries, fill up petrol, or visit a hospital. When I was at FDR's summer cottage however, the tour guide told us that during the time the Roosevelts stayed on the Island, access (and real estate purchasing) was much easier and no one cared which nation owned the island. There was none of the border crossing trepidation the guides in this Youtube video mentioned about back 120 years ago. Geographically, Grand Manan Island looks more like it could have and perhaps should have belonged to the U.S. than Campobello but my article mentioned during the 1817 border treaty, it was already established that Grand Manan Island belonged to British Nova Scotia and the Americans did not contest that.
Interesting!
It looks like I've got alot of reading to do.
Thanks for sharing. Can't repu you.

Old Today, 09:45 PM

33 posts, read 21,023 times
Hmm,

Very interesting! I didn't know there were any disputed areas between the US and Canada.

My guess was that we were trying to make Canada take Detroit, and they were telling us Heck No!

Heh, heh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada