Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,683 times

Advertisements

There is a widespread perception that immigrant communities in Canada don't assimilate/integrate as well as immigrant communities in other immigrant-recieving countries (like say the US, UK or Australia). In your view, do you find this to be true or not? If yes, why is this the case? Is this something that needs to be changed?

Last edited by Norus24; 05-12-2024 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 10:20 AM

153 posts, read 124,910 times
Canada's immigration policy is the word's best. It can't be otherwise since Canada's leader is the world's best and wisest. Canada's immigrants arrive already fully integrated from the best part of the Raj. Brides and grooms and their babas all smiling cheerfully and thank you for your question.

Last edited by hayleae1; 05-13-2024 at 11:09 AM..

Old 05-13-2024, 02:08 PM

1,312 posts, read 557,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norus24 View Post
There is a widespread perception that immigrant communities in Canada don't assimilate/integrate as well as immigrant communities in other immigrant-recieving countries (like say the US, UK or Australia). In your view, do you find this to be true or not? If yes, why is this the case? Is this something that needs to be changed?
Yes I find it to be true, but I don't think it's a matter of groups not being able to integrate or being excluded.
The difference between Canada and other places is that integration or assimilation are not expected or required. Infact it is official policy to do the exact opposite. Multiculturalism is what is expected here, everyone stay with their own. Even our prime minister has said their is no Canadian culture to integrate into, this is a country of immigrants with no culture. In Canada you have 2nd 3rd (or even more) generation canadian born peopl still claiming to be from the old country.

This system of multiculturalism worked very well when the vast majority if immigrants were from western/European countries. Now with the rise of non-western immigrants are taking over, this system is starting to show serious cracks. Has nothing to do with skin color or race. If you are from a small minority here, not alot of people of your group you are screwed. The future is looking grim. Racism is becoming more and more of an issue. If things keep going the way there are and people refusing to talk about the problems and disrepsect there could be serious issues in the future.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:22 PM

836 posts, read 875,978 times
Definitely there is not enough assimilation. I don’t know how it is in the other countries, but here it looks like every person is living in their own world and there is no real identity with the country Canada. There needs to be something bringing a nation together, common objectives, values, traditions. But that is not happening. Looks like several different nations are just sharing the same land.

I hope that is just a bad impression because of the big number of recent immigrants. Maybe the immigrants’ children, if they stay in Canada, will be better assimilated.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:12 AM

22,537 posts, read 12,108,365 times
The same problem exists in the US, too. We have immigrants whose cultures aren't compatible with ours plus these immigrants make little or no effort to adapt.

Old 05-22-2024, 08:05 AM

26,917 posts, read 38,213,861 times
But can it be said to be a problem if most Canadians don't see it as a problem?

Most Canadians would tell you the current non-assimilationist integration requirements and levels (ie pay your taxes and try not to break the law) are perfectly fine and adequate, and would balk at demanding anything more of newcomers, lest you be called racist for even insinuating that.

Old 05-22-2024, 10:30 AM
pdw

2,720 posts, read 3,133,799 times
People are so damn negative online about immigration. Get outside and maybe make some friends who don’t look like you. This is a tale as old as time people saying this kind of stuff. My workplace is super multicultural with people from all over the world, and as someone born in Canada I get along fine with everyone. I don’t give a damn if a Sikh guy wants to wear a turban or a Muslim woman wants to wear a hijab. Let people live their lives. What I do find disturbing lately is the rise in Islamophobia like the Quebec City and London, Ontario mosque shootings and antisemitism like the hate graffiti and vandalism against synagogues. It seems like increasingly it’s hateful people who grew up here that are committing these crimes. Most immigrants are incredibly thankful to live in such an amazing country as this.

Old 05-22-2024, 11:45 AM

1,312 posts, read 557,825 times
Some one above just proved your exact point LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But can it be said to be a problem if most Canadians don't see it as a problem?

Most Canadians would tell you the current non-assimilationist integration requirements and levels (ie pay your taxes and try not to break the law) are perfectly fine and adequate, and would balk at demanding anything more of newcomers, lest you be called racist for even insinuating that.

Old 05-22-2024, 12:35 PM

26,917 posts, read 38,213,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Some one above just proved your exact point LOL
And I didn't even say anything negative about immigration or immigrants!

Old 05-22-2024, 08:50 PM
pdw

2,720 posts, read 3,133,799 times
it’s not 1983 anymore. Time moves forward annd the world is progressing. People who don’t like it should get over it. Not everyone moving here now is from Poland or whatever cultures you think are “compatible”. People from non Christian religions shouldn’t have to erase their own heritage to make the pearl clutchers comfortable. If you want to move here and be a part of this great country that’s all you need from me. Everyone no matter where they’re from or their religion is welcome in my books. Anyone not Canadian reading this, this is how most of us feel. There’s a lot of negativity online but the Toronto Sun or National Post comments sections are not representative of how most Canadians feels Don’t let a bunch of bitter old farts online speak for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada