Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:45 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times

Advertisements

This is what I've noticed. Canadians in general are more highly educated than the general public in the States. People allowed to settle for the most part are also educated and rarely destitude. Most all are bilingual (French and English). They seem to be more outdoor oriented and more aware of green (conservation) living than we are. Housing tends to be either urban or farm country with fewer suburbs and sprawl. The population and customs follow in the traditions of the majority heritage of English, Scottish, Irish and with the French pockets in Quebec provence. Civility is more highly prized and to be cultured is not looked down upon as in some parts of the US.

The US is far more varied both within itself and Canada in topography, populous, and regional cultures. We can and do let in nearly anyone from all over the world. We have poor ghettos that I have never noticed in Canada. Madison Ave and TV have much more sway in the US in forming a fleeting and often superficial mindset. We are much more hung up on gender issues (and restriction) than in Canada. On the other hand, our housing stock is considerably better (more McMansions) though it can be worse too. The greater variety of immigrants and local cultures makes for the feel of several different countries all within one so you have your choice of which quite unlike another. People can be more agressive, don't know if that is good or bad. The same with competition. Unfortunately, we, the general US public do not know very much about Canada and don't appreciate it nearly as much as we should. Thankfully, I live on the border of the two and have access to the best of both.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:01 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
Which parts of the US? Could you please also be more specific how being cultured is looked down upon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Civility is more highly prized and to be cultured is not looked down upon as in some parts of the US.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 55,713 times
I'll take Canada any time, if it means less arrogance, crime, apathy, ugliness and lousy attitude, violence, obsessive-compulsive behavior, conformity, etc.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:49 AM

5 posts, read 55,713 times
Pretty much everywhere. Where can a person drive without being attacked by an angry driver who wants to rule the road? What about allowing people their personal space? What about all the crazy habits and sheer ugliness of appearance that is forced on you?

(This is in response to Sgoldie.)

Last edited by goodseeker; 07-01-2008 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Didn't refer to the person who's comment I'm answering

Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
Canadias "high taxes" pay for things like health care
college education is cheaper
it takes only two weeks of basic to get in the military reserves.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:54 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
Northern NYS, a day trip back and forth across the border.

I would say that in some parts of the US if you said you were going to high tea or preferred scones to tacos they'd look at you askance. Or, if you were going to a bagpipe tattoo more people in the US would rather go to Nascar with the same puzzeled look. And when was the last time you saw a man in a three-pieced suit, or wearing a hat that wasn't a baseball cap? I guarantee you that those with the later preference would find the other uncomfortable.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 07-01-2008 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 AM

311 posts, read 1,057,997 times
Quote:
The British accent still exists to some extent in Newfoundland.
I wish. I love the accent but it's definitely not existent here in Newfoundland.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,032 times
I currently live in Miami and I've been here for a bit over 10 years. I'm originally from Venezuela. My plans are to move to Canada once I'm done with school here. I'M IN LOVE WITH CANADA.
I know, lots of people would do anything to live here, but I just can't wait to get out of this melting pot of trash people. I am hispanic myself, so I won't say the trashy people down here in Miami are all the hispanics. But I've noticed that all hispanic people that come to Miami, are good for nothing. all they do here, is hate on each other. They envy everyone that is successful, they are rude, no education, no discipline...and as we hispanics say "chusmeria total". They don't respect anybody and they think they deserve the world without earning it first. I am sick of having people around me that are no good and only wish me wrong. I need to be around civilized people, lol. Been a few times to Canada, and I've noticed a completely different atmosphere. People are so educated it's hard to believe. I have met one or two here and there that as soon as you say you're from America, they completely change, so I've stopped saying I'm from America.
Other than the people from Miami, Miami has been cruel to my family as well. We've worked hard to get to where we are. I moved here with my mother and younger sister without having anybody to rely on, no friends or family. we worked, and worked hard for our dreams, until everything seemed good. We owned our own beauty salon, we bought a house, cars, invested in properties, etc. Then the economy started getting worse and worse and I'm sure all of you have heard of the issue we have here with foreclosures. Making the long story short, we lost everything we owned. the business, the houses, the cars, everything. God is huge and is by our side.
Just wanted to tell you Canadians you have beautiful people and a beautiful country that do not discriminate anybody, and as I've seen for myself, you seem to accept anybody willing to succeed. My dream is to live up there with you guys,lol. I guess I rather deal with the harsh winter then the foreclosures and uncivilized people down here.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:44 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Most all are bilingual (French and English).
Although there's an assumption that Canadians are all bilingual in English and French, very few actually are.

Those who are bilingual are likely recent immigrants, bilingual in English and their mother tongue (such as Chinese, Tagalog, Korean, Hindi, etc.) but statistically the majority of Canadians are not bilingual in English and French.

There are pockets of French/English bilingualism, such as in Montreal, Ottawa, and in the province of New Brunswick, but outside of those areas, most people only speak English... unless of course they're in Quebec in which they'd speak French.

It's because Canada adopted official bilingualism back in the 1970s that makes people think everyone in Canada is bilingual, but the actual distribution of French/English bilingualism across the country is a very different picture...

The Atlas of Canada - English-French Bilingualism, 2001

If you look at the map in the link above, the dark red colour represents a population where the majority (50%-70%) of the population is bilingual in English and French. And you can see that the only places where it's red are in tiny areas in the east.

But I can understand how people mistakenly think that most Canadians are bilingual. The government requires by law that all product labels are in English and French, whether it's groceries, or on electronics, or labels on your nail polish, or the labels on your clothing. Everything's in both English and French across the country, regardless of what the dominant local language actually is. As well, federal government services are also required to offer their services in both English and French. So I can see how somebody visiting Canada would look at the infrastructure and see both English and French and think that most Canadians understand both languages. The reality is that they're no more bilingual in English and French than your average American is bilingual in English and Spanish.

Last edited by Robynator; 10-24-2008 at 01:09 AM..

Old 10-24-2008, 07:50 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
This is an accurate picture. Overall, only about 17% of Canadians are bilingual in English and French.

In the vast part of Canada outside of Quebec, only about 7% of English speakers know French, their country’s other official language*. Inside Quebec, somewhat surprisingly since they are a minority in both Canada and North America, only about 35 or 40% of French speakers know English.

The highest levels of English-French bilingualism are found in the minority groups who could be said to be living on the other group’s “turf”. I.e., French speakers in “English Canada” (the 9 provinces outside Quebec), who have an 85% bilingualism rate. And English speakers in Quebec, who have a bilingual rate around 70%.

*Compare this to knowledge of Spanish among anglo residents of the United States, which is around 4 or 5%. Not that far off from the figures for English Canadians. Also interesting is the fact that 17% of people in the UK can speak French as second language.

Quebec, although a different situation altogether, is also surprising in that its level of English knowledge is actually less than half that which is observed in independent European countries like the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden and Norway, all of which have three quarters or more of their populations with a knowledge of English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada