Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 04:18 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,930,620 times

Advertisements

I can't say I know Canadians from every part of the country. However, those from small town Saskatchewan are decidedly the most unfriendly people I have ever come across in the Western world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 04:25 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,861,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Well, for one thing, we don't allow them to wear the niqab....
That's not true. There was a bill tabled that would prevent women in Quebec from getting public services while wearing a niqab (don't remember if it even passed) and I totally agree with that. But there is no law in Quebec that prevents them from wearing it anywhere in public, so again, no big diff there.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:28 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,861,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I can't say I know Canadians from every part of the country. However, those from small town Saskatchewan are decidedly the most unfriendly people I have ever come across in the Western world.
Wow, that's a pretty strong statement. While I've never been to Saskatchewan and cannot comment on their manners I'd like to know what they did that makes them so unfriendly.

I mean, only in the US have people ever made me fear for my life, have complete strangers called me racist names, and have I ever had a gun pulled on me, but even after that I wouldn't call them the most unfriendly people I have come across in the Western world. That title would have to go to my next-door neighbours

Old 03-24-2013, 04:55 PM

477 posts, read 803,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
^^^^^^^BIMBAM. I'm not claiming to know anything about him. I'm demonstrating that stereotypes and generalizations about large groups of people are unfair. My example of possible generaizations about Quebecois was meant to be offensive. You do hear these things said about Quebecois from English Canadians, but it doesn't mean they're true or acceptable simply because some people believe them. Just because the poster's comments are not as blatantly offensive as my examples doesn't make them any more acceptable because they both have one thing in common: they are stereotypes based on a few examples and subjective experience that is then taken as a general rule and passed off as fact.

And this individual is making assumptions and generalizations based on zero objective fact. For example, he says cultural integration is the cornerstone of Quebec's immigration policy, as opposed to the rest of Canada where we don't make any attempt to have immigrants integrate into the wider population, presumably because we're too reserved and standoffish to want to interact with them and have them join our social circles. Anyways, I'd like to know in practical terms how exactly immigrants are integrated into Quebec culture in a way that is so different than the rest of Canada. Is it because they have to learn French? Is that how they are integrated? Does learning French automaticaly make them Quebecois? If not, then what exactly does the Quebec government do differently that makes newcomers integrate more harmoniously into Quebec's culture than the rest of Canada?

I'm sorry, but I'm annoyed by this kind of thing because I hear it so much of it on this forum. I think you misconstrued my previous post because I wrote examples of offensive stereotypes that are sometimes made about people from Quebec. If you re-read the post, you'll see I was using these offensive generalizations as examples to make a point, not to insult the poster or anyone else.
I'm thinking the same thing too.

Also in my experience, if you try to speak in not so good french, they usually switch to english pretty quickly,
most don't seem to like to hear poorly spoke french, so quick switch to english is what I've encountered.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
Sounds like a pro to me.
although it is stupid

Old 12-07-2015, 06:31 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
I really miss TOkidd..

Old 12-07-2015, 06:39 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,336,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I really miss TOkidd..
And stubblejumper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada