Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 05:56 PM

5 posts, read 5,588 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here had to endure the unfortunate experience being misdiagnosed for a pre cancerous lesion? being shuffled around from NP's to Dr.'s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 04:51 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
No but I was misdiagnosed at an ER years ago and sent home when I had an appendix about to rupture. I went back 2 days later and finally was diagnosed correctly.

Old 03-31-2023, 03:24 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
No, I haven't been misdiagnosed and I call myself the Queen of skin cancers. Some are cancerous and others are precancerous. What puzzles me is why doesn't the doc just go ahead and remove it instead of passing you on from doctor to doctor? If for some reason, I don't feel safe with something, whether it's cancerous or not, remove it.

Old 03-31-2023, 03:27 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpcare View Post
Has anyone here had to endure the unfortunate experience being misdiagnosed for a pre cancerous lesion? being shuffled around from NP's to Dr.'s
How were you misdiagnosed?

Old 03-31-2023, 03:44 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
No, I haven't been misdiagnosed and I call myself the Queen of skin cancers. Some are cancerous and others are precancerous. What puzzles me is why doesn't the doc just go ahead and remove it instead of passing you on from doctor to doctor? If for some reason, I don't feel safe with something, whether it's cancerous or not, remove it.
As Queen of Skin Cancers, we must assume you mean you have a lot of skin lesions, many of which have turned into cancer.

Watchful waiting is a legitimate policy for most skin lesions. They grow slowly, don't metastasize and most remain benign, so unless you want all sorts of scars that you didn't have to have, they are doing the right thing...

...of course the above does not apply to malignant melanoma, but those are usually fairly obvious and easily distinguished from the less serious forms- squamous cell & basal cell ca. Once you've been diagnosed with that, then they shouldn't be taking chances with any new or changing blemishes.

edited to answer the OP-- a lesion is not pre-cancerous unless it eventually turns into a cancer...If it doesn't change, then it wasn't pre-cancerous. A matter of proper semantics.

Sun damaged skin can show marks called actinic keratosis-- scaly, dry, raised, colored things. SOME of them may turn cancerous. Most do not. As I said above, those types of skin cancer grow so slowly and don't spread so there's no rush in treating them.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 03-31-2023 at 03:53 PM..

Old 04-02-2023, 08:49 PM

Default misdiagnosed pre skin cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How were you misdiagnosed?
Thank you suzy_q2010 and every one for your replies. large HMO Ca. After a month of feeling an unusual lesion/spot behind my neck, I did some initial research before having it looked at. On my first visit I was seen by a NP, at my shock and dismay was claimed it was nothing to worry about just an infection take these antibiotics. I asked possibly a cancerous growth? Reply ,no," cancer is brown." I would like to see dermatologist- Ignored. My PCP "nothing to worry about, looks like it's healing . Can you perform a biopsy? Reply, not necessary. In any event this same scenario would go on to repeat on several separate encounters. Finally forced to a out side provider same scenario. Take this topical cream call back in 2 weeks. Can you do a biopsy? Reply "OK" result, pre cancerous growth AKA actinic keratosis time lapse going on 4 mo. Growth was changing size and shape almost daily. Lost all faith and trust in this ORG . not knowing where to turn/trust awaiting out of pocket second opinion results to determine how far it's progressed if any Scared dont know where to turn for further treatment/ HMO repercussions

Old 04-02-2023, 11:50 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpcare View Post
...result, pre cancerous growth AKA actinic keratosis...
To repeat-- actinic kerstosis is NOT cancer...and most do NOT turn into cancer, although some can, therefore, they are often described as "precancerous. "Potentially" pre-cancerous would be a more correct description.

Not a "missed diagnosis." Watchful waiting is a good policy. They grow so slowly you have months, usually years to decide if they've changed enough to warrant removal.

Old 04-03-2023, 05:04 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
To repeat-- actinic kerstosis is NOT cancer...and most do NOT turn into cancer, although some can, therefore, they are often described as "precancerous. "Potentially" pre-cancerous would be a more correct description.

Not a "missed diagnosis." Watchful waiting is a good policy. They grow so slowly you have months, usually years to decide if they've changed enough to warrant removal.
Nowadays doctors tend to treat "precancerous" conditions similar to stage 1 cancer from experiences that I have heard about. Perhaps it depends on what of the body.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:39 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Agree with the prior posts. I had two AK spots removed from my face and one had been there for about a couple of years. Here in the US, doctors tend to be aggressive in removing them while in Great Britain, they take a wait and see approach. Only a small percentage of AK lesions turn into cancer. This is a quote from a surgeon at the Yale School of Medicine. He says only 10% can become cancer. I saw another stat that said 20%. OP, lots of things to worry about in this world, but for me, this would be way down on the list.

“Unlike most skin conditions caused by the sun, actinic keratosis (AK), which is sometimes called solar keratosis, is usually benign. At least 90 percent of these small, scaly skin spots will not turn into cancer, says Sean R. Christensen, MD, PhD, a Yale Medicine dermatologic surgeon and an assistant professor of dermatology at Yale School of Medicine.

“Actinic keratosis is an abnormal growth of cells caused by long-term damage from the sun,” he says. “They are not cancerous, but a small fraction of them will develop into skin cancer. Because we don’t know which ones will become cancer and which will not, dermatologists recommend treatment of these lesions,” Dr. Christensen says.”

Last edited by wizrap; 04-03-2023 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-03-2023, 12:54 PM

Thanks to all for your input. Yes, I've spent hours reading the same stats, articles, medical journals scientific papers including the relatively small 10-20% probability factor. I'm hovering right around the 70 yr. old mark.
I have no idea how many years it had developed till i finally noticed. during the last few months it quickly started changing shape and size finally turning to a protruding horn shaped stem. My understanding is being diabetic increases the risks for complications for any medical condition. Hence, my extreme concern. How should I present my second opinion to the initial treating clinician? (still, he was a PA not even a full on dermatologist)It may come back the same result, i cant fore tell. please pardon my French, With out Pissing him or my HMO off so to speak, and refusing further treatment. This is my first time down road and don't know how to proceed. Cant believe any one could put some one through this degree of agony after successfully fighting through and making a full depressive recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer