Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 06:43 PM
ERH

1,701 posts, read 2,532,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
What do you call it when a patient gets assistance with their ADLs at home then? Is that a sitter? I’m confused now actually because I’ve been told she would be discharged to outpatient rehab and I would need 24 hour home care…

Thanks for the info.
It's called home health care -- and it's not covered by ANY insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 06:44 PM

674 posts, read 608,964 times
Google "personal care services + [your state]", or "personal care attendant + [your state]" to find out the requirements to receive the services and the qualifications of the aide/sitter/attendant providing the care.

Medicaid is mostly managed by the state so you need to find out the specifics for your state. Some are generous while others are stingy.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
It's called home health care -- and it's not covered by ANY insurance.
Medicare and Medicare Advantage insurance programs cover home-health.
Source: I work in HH and the healthcare system I am in, receives money from Medicare to provide HH to homebound patients. Most, but not all, are recovering from strokes, accidents or surgery.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:55 PM
ERH

1,701 posts, read 2,532,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Source: I work in HH and the healthcare system I am in, receives money from Medicare to provide HH to homebound patients. Most, but not all, are recovering from strokes, accidents or surgery.
Are you saying that traditional Medicare pays for home health unrelated to a recent hospitalization? That has not been my experience.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Are you saying that traditional Medicare pays for home health unrelated to a recent hospitalization? That has not been my experience.
Yes, Medicare will pay for HH unrelated to a recent hospitalization. In fact, I just started seeing such a person this morning. All it takes is for a MD to fill out a form & certify that the person is 1) homebound, and 2) needs nursing/PT/OT/aide care.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
interesting some one mentioned nursing home in Thailand for $2k a month.
My mother had a stroke in HK and was hospitalised for 9 months before she passed away,she has 24 /7 attendee sent from an agency,young women who have minimum nurse training,my family paid the agency around 35 dollars a day,so they get less than that from the agency.
whether they fell asleep at night we dont know,we were not there.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:23 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,748,274 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for this info. I thought my mom was not eligible for Medicare yet though due to her age? (63)

Old 05-05-2022, 08:26 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,748,274 times
Quote:
Yes, Medicare will pay for HH unrelated to a recent hospitalization. In fact, I just started seeing such a person this morning. All it takes is for a MD to fill out a form & certify that the person is 1) homebound, and 2) needs nursing/PT/OT/aide care.
So then in theory my mom would get outpatient rehab covered by charity ‘with’ home health services that cover the ADLs?

Old 05-05-2022, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for this info. I thought my mom was not eligible for Medicare yet though due to her age? (63)
You can get Medicare before turning 65 if you have a disability.

Medicare.gov has a lot of useful info.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
So then in theory my mom would get outpatient rehab covered by charity ‘with’ home health services that cover the ADLs?
You need to talk to a local eldercare attorney. It will be money well spent.

You are very confused right now and it's certainly understandable, given the intricacies of Medicare/Medicaid/Home health coverage - on top of the stress brought on by your mother's condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving