Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2022, 02:16 PM

269 posts, read 181,224 times

Advertisements

Long shot, but with the cost of assisted living, trying to see all resources available.

My 82 year old dad served in the South Vietnamese Army, fighting alongside US soldiers during the Vietnam war. He been a US citizen since he emigrated back in the early 80s.

I presume he isn’t qualified for VA benefits?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 03:30 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
But he wasn't a US citizen when he served, and he wasn't registered as a US soldier, right? I have read that there are some VA benefits extended to foreign allies of WWI and WWII. There are some different benefits specific to veterans of the Vietnam War.

https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/ap...eficiaries.asp

It doesn't mention the Vietnam War, but it might lead you in the right direction. Talk to the VA.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:04 PM

269 posts, read 181,224 times
Thanks, your first sentence is correct. Will call VA at least to confirm

Old 08-02-2022, 02:48 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis32801 View Post
Long shot, but with the cost of assisted living, trying to see all resources available.

My 82 year old dad served in the South Vietnamese Army, fighting alongside US soldiers during the Vietnam war. He been a US citizen since he emigrated back in the early 80s.

I presume he isn’t qualified for VA benefits?? Thanks
If he gets it, let me know. I was born in the USA and served three years in the US Army and I am in the lowest category of elegibility for benefits.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:57 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Asking is free. and it changes as the politicians tinker with it.

I didn't qualify for a GI mortgage in 1961, but I did in 1967.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:22 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
I'm glad you were given a link to inquire, doesn't hurt to call to see if we have an agreement with his home country.

There is also a military section of CD.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:23 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
If he gets it, let me know. I was born in the USA and served three years in the US Army and I am in the lowest category of elegibility for benefits.
I'm the same case as you, with 4 years service in the US Army in the 1970s. When I was working for many decades in Orange County, CA (home of a huge population of refugees from the Vietnam Conflict) I had a co-worker who was a former officer of the South Vietnamese navy. After victory by the north and re-unification, he spent almost a decade in a work "re-education" camp in the north. After that, he managed to leave and eventually reach the USA and live a pretty good life after many years of hard work. He got no benefits from the US veterans administration. People forget, there was no official declared in Vietnam, it was a long military intervention.

Here in Germany, I have a friend who is a couple of years older than me, a former North Vietnamese combat soldier who was drafted young and survived many years of the war. In the 1980s he went to communist East Germany as a foreign laborer and ended up staying here. I have been to his home a few times and met his family, and the war years are not talked about much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving