Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 05:37 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times

Advertisements

Bed Rails for Elderly Adults Seniors Bed Cane Assist

There are a number of these products on the market. I bought a car handle for my 85 year old father and he never uses it. I would like to get him a bed rail as he fell on the floor last week and couldn't get up.

I would appreciate advice on which ones work well. He has severe edema in his legs, but they are not immobile. He can walk, very slowly, with a walker.

The biggest issue is, of course, the medication makes him urinate all night long. If he could safely get to a standing position he could use his urinal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 07:05 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
I bought one for my wife, When collapsed it stuck up a bit higher than the mattress, which was awkward. In the raised position it did what it was supposed to do. My wife didn't like it and continued to sleep on her recliner. She has since been in a nursing home for a year and a half. I donated the bed rail to a thrift shop.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:47 AM

1,400 posts, read 765,996 times
You might want to talk with a Pharmacist and have his medicines checked. Doctors prescribe things often without checking into what other medicines the patient is taking or the ramifications of combining them.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:52 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
Why can't he use a urinal laying down, they are curved so shouldn't have a mess. Is someone there with him at any time, day or night?

Old 08-09-2022, 01:45 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Why can't he use a urinal laying down, they are curved so shouldn't have a mess. Is someone there with him at any time, day or night?
Exactly. My DH used it in bed without any difficulty. Keep it on the side of the bed.

An advantage men have over women.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:32 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
I find the kind that has an attached board that slides between the mattress and box spring work well. Don’t get a very long rail it might interfere with him getting in and out of bed.

Old 08-12-2022, 07:54 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I need one. Partner was on the floor this morning. Doesn't know how he got there, possibly a seizure. He had one last weekend and is now on meds for it. We shoved a couch next to the bed on one side. Already have a barricade on the other. Good times.

He is in a rickety old hospital bed provided by the government. Might look into buying a better one.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:29 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I need one. Partner was on the floor this morning. Doesn't know how he got there, possibly a seizure. He had one last weekend and is now on meds for it. We shoved a couch next to the bed on one side. Already have a barricade on the other. Good times.

He is in a rickety old hospital bed provided by the government. Might look into buying a better one.
If the hospital bed lowers, lower it as far down as it will go and put a mat next to it. Is he on hospice? Here hospice will provide a hospital bed.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:11 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times
Before my husband passed away he used one like this. We tried some others but this type worked the best for him. You need to put it close to the headboard. Not in the middle of the bed. By the headboard blocks your chest/shoulders so you cant roll out of bed. And you can grab a hold of it to assist yourself to sit on the side of the bed beside of it. In the middle blocks you so you cant sit up. I know it looks flimsy but its not. My husband was a big guy. 6'1 385.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RZ1YNGS...&pd_rd_plhdr=t

Old 08-17-2022, 02:57 AM

7,257 posts, read 5,131,727 times
All solutions involve compromises and trade-offs.

Side rails may help confused pts from rolling out of bed or from trying to get up, but they also may entangle their limbs and cause falls, partial falls and injuries too.

Because they are used so much in nursing homes, they are involved in more injuries in total than falls without them.

If you decide to use them, stay vigilant. They are not miracle cures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving