Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:24 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times

Advertisements

I am compelled to say here that I would never put my cats at risk they way you all do. If I need flea treatment I purchase cat specific formulas from my vet. Buying it bootleg, and going by measurements is a dangerous way to do it.

I'm not saying any of you are incapable of dosing the proper amounts, though not everyone is, so that is one risk right there. The other risk is there is no guarantee you are getting the product that you pay for.

It's true that Merial and Bayer have gone OTC with Frontline products and Advantage products respectively, but that is only recently. What's on the market still is certainly mostly bootleg or manufactured somewhere other than the USA and put in identical packaging.

I am glad none of you have had any of these problems ever, and hopefully now that the products are OTC, there will be less market for the bootleg and counterfeit products to be sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 05:50 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
Does an indoor-only cat (no other pets) need monthly flea treatment?

I did have a dog up until July (she passed away). I treated the dog monthly with Frontline Plus.

In the year I've had my cat (now 1 yr old) I've treated her quarterly with cat flea prevention/control (Sargents, for kittens/cats).

Now that it's just me and the cat, and my cat never goes outside, should I continue to give her flea treatments?

Old 08-28-2010, 10:52 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Does an indoor-only cat (no other pets) need monthly flea treatment?

I did have a dog up until July (she passed away). I treated the dog monthly with Frontline Plus.

In the year I've had my cat (now 1 yr old) I've treated her quarterly with cat flea prevention/control (Sargents, for kittens/cats).

Now that it's just me and the cat, and my cat never goes outside, should I continue to give her flea treatments?
It depends on where you live I would think, but please don't use sargents on your cat anymore. It can kill her.

I live in the Northeast, and my cats are brought supervised outside into a protected yard. I do not use flea treatments generally.

The only time I treat for fleas is if I am rescuing a stray cat. Stray cats are a given for fleas, so I will treat all existing cats even before bringing the newbie in, and treat everyone for two or three months, after giving the newbie a capstar tablet (which kills all fleas on the cat in a very dramatic way)

I use Frontline Plus or Revolution, both purchased from my vet.

You really should not use the sargents anymore. You've been lucky, but all it takes is once.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the warning. I won't be using it ever again! She hasn't had any flea meds for the last 6+ weeks.

I'm in NC and like I said, my cat never goes outside...not even supervised. Literally she is never out. And she's my only pet.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:45 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times
My cat doesn't go outside, and he still gets fleas. But since he gets an Advantage treatment, they don't last. The fleas come inside on my shoes, so I just treat the carpets every year, and it helps. But they still come in.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 AM

450 posts, read 5,023,568 times
I have indoor only cats, and have never given them flea treatments. We've never had fleas in the 10 years we've had indoor only cats. I'm not sure how fleas are coming in if you have indoor only cats.

We don't wear shoes in the house, so that might be part of it--I don't know. I would never give my indoor cats prophylactic flea treatment, as we don't have a problem.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:11 AM

I take my shoes off the moment I walk in the door. Keeps the floors and carpets so much cleaner that way.

I think I'll ask the vet their opinion on this flea treatment bit for one indoor-only cat and no other pets. I'm leaning towards not needed and if needed, no more than a few times a year.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:27 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

I use frontline because its effective against ticks, and ticks are a bigger problem in this area, healthwise, than fleas. The formula is the same for cats and dogs, just varies with the dosage.
This must have changed in the last 15 years. I had an acquaintance who used the dog Advantage on her cat and the cat ended up in the emergency vet clinic and almost didn't make it out alive. She was told at the time that the products were completely different and cats' systems couldn't handle the product made for dogs, and to never, ever do that again. What that poor cat went through was gruesome.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:41 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times
I have indoor only cats, and have never given them flea treatments. We've never had fleas in the 10 years we've had indoor only cats. I'm not sure how fleas are coming in if you have indoor only cats.

It gets very dry here as soon as winter is over, and all the grass where I live dies. The manager and owner of the complex where I live don't believe in keeping up the appearance of the place, so they just don't bother to water the grass. The fleas are outside, and they get on your shoes when you come in. If I left my shoes outside, they would probably get stolen.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Thanks for the warning. I won't be using it ever again! She hasn't had any flea meds for the last 6+ weeks.

I'm in NC and like I said, my cat never goes outside...not even supervised. Literally she is never out. And she's my only pet.
Even if your cat doesn't go outside keep a close watch for ticks. They are bad this year. On a cat with dark or dense fur they can sometimes be hard to find. I use frontiline plus more because of the ticks that come in on not only dogs but shoes and clothes than for the fleas. Ticks can carry some very dangerous diseases.

My cats are all quite happy being inside. Open the door and with the exception of one, who will watch, the rest are vanished in case something scary comes in the door. The screen door is their friend, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats