Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:30 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else providing their cats with fresh grass from the lawn or bought at the petshop? What about fresh catnip? My cats love the grass from the lawn but totally ignore both dry and fresh cat-nip. I bring a clump in in a large flowerpot saucer and let them have at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 12:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
My cat likes cat grass and catnip okay.

The one thing that provoked a tremendous, unbelievable response from her was cat thyme.

Cat Thyme (scroll down)

She went crazy! I had two plants, one on the inside porch, and one out back. My cat would rub against it, nibble it, and just generally writhe in ecstasy--all over the poor plant.
Both plants only lasted about two months. I had to protect them from all the neighborhood cats, who were just as attracted to it as my own. The neighborhood cats poked a hole in my screen door to get to the cat thyme on the back porch!
I am tempted to try it again, but am skeptical that I will have any better luck.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

The one thing that provoked a tremendous, unbelievable response from her was cat thyme.

Cat Thyme (scroll down)
Where did you buy the plants? Did you have them shipped? You grew them from seeds?

Quote:
She went crazy! I had two plants, one on the inside porch, and one out back. My cat would rub against it, nibble it, and just generally writhe in ecstasy--all over the poor plant.
Both plants only lasted about two months. I had to protect them from all the neighborhood cats, who were just as attracted to it as my own. The neighborhood cats poked a hole in my screen door to get to the cat thyme on the back porch!
I am tempted to try it again, but am skeptical that I will have any better luck.
Now that's how my a few of my past cats responded to cat-nip. They acted like they were stoned out of their minds. I'll see if I can find more info on this cat Thyme. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
I bought the plants at the local farmer's market, but the woman who sold them no longer comes to the market, and everyone else that I've asked did not even know what I was talking about.
I found the link to the plant growers when googling cat thyme, but I am not sure I want to spend that much money to turn all our neighborhood cats into plant-destroying stoners.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I bought the plants at the local farmer's market, but the woman who sold them no longer comes to the market, and everyone else that I've asked did not even know what I was talking about.
I found the link to the plant growers when googling cat thyme, but I am not sure I want to spend that much money to turn all our neighborhood cats into plant-destroying stoners.
Hummmmmm... I'll look for someone selling seeds since I have a greenhouse.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:34 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
Quote:

Cat Thyme (scroll down)

That was an interesting article. I had heard about Valerian and peppermint before but not the cat thyme. I grow cat nip to make toys. My cats enjoy the fresh new shoots when they come up in the yard, and sometimes like to make forts out of the plants when they get to bushy size.

But since they are around really good stuff so much most of the cat nip or cat nip toys they are given by other people leave them cold. They do have a strong affinity for the Maine Coon Cat Nip brand and I get them some little pillows every year, they love those pillows.

Maybe I will try peppermint with them. I'm sensitive to smells so I don't think I would be able to have Valerian or cat thyme in the house, according to that article they smell really bad.

The Cat Nip Fort picture is not on digital, so I had to take a picture of a framed picture I have on my table. It's one of my favorites though so I like to share it. The Nip Lick was taken last year

Last edited by catsmom21; 04-24-2011 at 06:09 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 03:47 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,663 times
I grew some cat grass for them, it didn't take long to grow, but my lot weren't impressed.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:16 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Great pic, my cats love the "catnip fort" here too! I will check into cat thyme, never heard of it.

Valerian I have used in the past as a sleep aid (well it is ground up v. root) and although it is helpful, the odor is REALLY BAD.....almost to the point of not using it for that reason, so eval before bringing it into your home

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
That was an interesting article. I had heard about Valerian and peppermint before but not the cat thyme. I grow cat nip to make toys. My cats enjoy the fresh new shoots when they come up in the yard, and sometimes like to make forts out of the plants when they get to bushy size.

But since they are around really good stuff so much most of the cat nip or cat nip toys they are given by other people leave them cold. They do have a strong affinity for the Maine Coon Cat Nip brand and I get them some little pillows every year, they love those pillows.

Maybe I will try peppermint with them. I'm sensitive to smells so I don't think I would be able to have Valerian or cat thyme in the house, according to that article they smell really bad.

The Cat Nip Fort picture is not on digital, so I had to take a picture of a framed picture I have on my table. It's one of my favorites though so I like to share it. The Nip Lick was taken last year

Old 04-23-2011, 08:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
I have a fenced yard, my herb garden is right next to my back door, so when I'm out weeding the garden I let my cat come out to graze. She chews on certain of the grasses, I'm pretty sure it's either the clover or a rye hybrid. Once she gets cocky enough to try and sneak around behind the garage, I pick her up and bring her back inside. We have garden snakes that eat the moles, and rabbits that eat the dandelions, and chipmonks that scare away the bluejays, so I need to preserve the ecosystem back there without her interference.

I do grow catnip in my herb garden, and my herb garden is a 100% organic perennial garden. I don't use any fertilizer at all. I rarely water it. It's a pretty self-sustaining garden that only needs me to weed it and harvest the winter savory and oregano every week in the summer and fall.

Sinchi LOVES the catnip, but she's a little overwhelmed when she's outside so I have to actually bring her to it before she notices it's there. I also let some of it blossom, and pinch the buds on some of the stems and save them for the wintertime. That way it reseeds, and grows wide like a bush.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I have a fenced yard, my herb garden is right next to my back door, so when I'm out weeding the garden I let my cat come out to graze. She chews on certain of the grasses, I'm pretty sure it's either the clover or a rye hybrid. Once she gets cocky enough to try and sneak around behind the garage, I pick her up and bring her back inside. We have garden snakes that eat the moles, and rabbits that eat the dandelions, and chipmonks that scare away the bluejays, so I need to preserve the ecosystem back there without her interference.
Thank you for considering the native wildlife where you live.

Quote:
I do grow catnip in my herb garden, and my herb garden is a 100% organic perennial garden. I don't use any fertilizer at all. I rarely water it. It's a pretty self-sustaining garden that only needs me to weed it and harvest the winter savory and oregano every week in the summer and fall.
Don't you just love those perennials. I also grow oregano and catnip. It thrives on no care at all. The catnip is at least 2' tall already. The oregano I have grows about a foot tall. Speaking of gardens we finally got all the peppers and tomatoes in this week. The cats sit in the windows facing the gardens and watch us.

Quote:
Sinchi LOVES the catnip, but she's a little overwhelmed when she's outside so I have to actually bring her to it before she notices it's there. I also let some of it blossom, and pinch the buds on some of the stems and save them for the wintertime. That way it reseeds, and grows wide like a bush.
I wish my cats liked catnip. I have several plants that are thriving in the garden. Maybe I can make some catnip tea for myself.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats