Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:08 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I have read so many different viewpoints on this subject and it's making it hard for me to make a decision for my own indoor cats. I really do believe that animals are over vaccinated but do I dare take a chance of not getting boosters and then gosh forbid something happen :-( I still don't know.
My vet told us yesterday that if the cats are indoors-only and have no exposure to other cats then vaccinating them yearly is not really necessary. That every few years would be enough (in case you carry something in on your shoes or clothing.)

Quote:
I know that some vets are now giving certain vaccines in one leg versus another and recording it (along with serial number) so they will start to understand what vaccines (and batches) may be causing it. They are also doing it lower down on the limb so that if they do get cancer they can amputate the limb rather than having to do more invasive surgery that may or may not get all the cancer. Our current vet did this with our two little ones.

Looking forward to more replies on your post so I can see what others have decided to do.
I also read recently they're using the tail instead of the legs as the tail can be easily removed instead of amputating the leg. GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
Scary indeed. I'm trying to figure out what vaccinations to have for Muffins who is an indoor cat (and we live in an apartment so there is no way for him to run out). He had the kitten distemper series but I haven't decided about rabies which is required in NY state for all cats over 6 months.
You can bring "something" in on your clothes or shoes. I recently read that the shots last a lot longer than 12 months. After the kitten shots they should be protected for as long as 4 or 5 years. Why are they over-vaccinating our pets? Can it be greed? Ignorance?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:13 PM

Oh, and my vet said that these sarcomas are turning up in injection sites where drugs other than vaccines were given. They must be putting something in the vaccines and drugs causing this. Some kind of preservative or perhaps the cultures (or whatever) used to propagate the drug. Of course this is very profitable for the Veterinarians and Drug companies as these sarcomas then bring in even more money in the form of surgery, chemo, radiation - more. I'm not saying there's some kind of conspiracy but it makes you wonder..... if this was happening to human children or even adults the Drug Co's would have been held accountable and forced to make changes.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
The very fact that it is becoming common for vets to give vaccinations in 'easy to amputate & less damage causing areas' tells you that there is a very serious problem going on with the vaccines themselves. If vets & the drug companies want to continue to profit from regular vaccinations, then they had better fix the problem. More and more cats are becoming indoor only, and when this problem becomes more widely known fewer & fewer people will be vaccinating their cats.... at all. I don't think that's a good trend in the long run.
My cats are all seniors, and I've pretty much decided that their vaccinations are over. Their exposure risk is so low (if not zero), that I'm not going to risk it. I've never believed that yearly vaccinations were necessary anyway.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:39 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Oh, and my vet said that these sarcomas are turning up in injection sites where drugs other than vaccines were given. They must be putting something in the vaccines and drugs causing this. Some kind of preservative or perhaps the cultures (or whatever) used to propagate the drug. Of course this is very profitable for the Veterinarians and Drug companies as these sarcomas then bring in even more money in the form of surgery, chemo, radiation - more. I'm not saying there's some kind of conspiracy but it makes you wonder..... if this was happening to human children or even adults the Drug Co's would have been held accountable and forced to make changes.

Now I'm really scared witless. There appears to be no clear consensus among vets on this. Makes me almost want to skip the shots entirely for our indoor cat. Of course, we can't do that because we take him in regularly for nail clipping, and they wouldn't accept him as a patient...

*sigh*

Old 05-01-2014, 12:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I lost at least one beloved cat to this. I have 12 year old Ragdolls and they only got their kitten shots and only because i was not so much aware I had a choice. They are totally inside and I don't board them either. I also don't like anybody in my home when I'm not here so basically I don't go on vacation but I don't mind so much. The guilt from losing a cat due to something you did is unbearable. The vet I use now always tells me it is the law they get vaccinated and I politely tell her I'm not going to do it and why. She hasn't pressed me.

But they need to have their teeth cleaned and I'm afraid all vets will require vaccinations before they take them in. I get vaccinations for my dogs mostly cause they have to be professionally groomed and law requires groomers to show proof of vax.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
The very fact that it is becoming common for vets to give vaccinations in 'easy to amputate & less damage causing areas' tells you that there is a very serious problem going on with the vaccines themselves.
Exactly!

Quote:
If vets & the drug companies want to continue to profit from regular vaccinations, then they had better fix the problem. More and more cats are becoming indoor only, and when this problem becomes more widely known fewer & fewer people will be vaccinating their cats.... at all. I don't think that's a good trend in the long run.
My cats are all seniors, and I've pretty much decided that their vaccinations are over. Their exposure risk is so low (if not zero), that I'm not going to risk it. I've never believed that yearly vaccinations were necessary anyway.
I agree with you. I'm not risking it either. And from what I've been reading the immunity lasts longer than 12 months.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Now I'm really scared witless. There appears to be no clear consensus among vets on this. Makes me almost want to skip the shots entirely for our indoor cat. Of course, we can't do that because we take him in regularly for nail clipping, and they wouldn't accept him as a patient...

*sigh*
Try taking him to a groomer for nail clipping instead. They're blackmailing you. My vet is happy to see my cats ($$$$) shots or no shots.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I lost at least one beloved cat to this. I have 12 year old Ragdolls and they only got their kitten shots and only because i was not so much aware I had a choice. They are totally inside and I don't board them either. I also don't like anybody in my home when I'm not here so basically I don't go on vacation but I don't mind so much. The guilt from losing a cat due to something you did is unbearable. The vet I use now always tells me it is the law they get vaccinated and I politely tell her I'm not going to do it and why. She hasn't pressed me.
Mine hasn't pressed me either but she mentions it every time she sees me.

Quote:
But they need to have their teeth cleaned and I'm afraid all vets will require vaccinations before they take them in. I get vaccinations for my dogs mostly cause they have to be professionally groomed and law requires groomers to show proof of vax.
I can see them being concerned about the rabies shot - but they sure can't get the other cat diseases from your cat/s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats