Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

The Basset does look very handsome tonight!

Bobbles is officially upstairs for the night---after teasing me twice by rattling the door but then running back downstairs after sitting there staring at me.

I told my son she has a curfew. No basement after 10pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:37 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Basements are wonderlands for kitties even without mice. So many nooks and crannies and hiding places that only they can get to. We've always given our cats access to the basement and blocked dogs out, because of the basement litter box, which is too appealing to them. We've cut an 8x7 hole in the basement door, and they can all go through it easily, even my chubby boy. There's no way a basset hound could get through there, although he might do a lot of sniffing!
My first few months in my current house, I was getting some work done in the basement and of course my kitties were down there with me. I went upstairs for a little while and when I went back down, I couldn't see Annie or Einstein, but I could HEAR them ... turns out they had gotten into the dropped ceiling!! I had some storage units on one wall and they apparently climbed them, then got into the little window area, and from that area, the dropped ceiling was only a small jump away!!

I got them out by using their favorite word, "treat"! Then I had to re-do the shelving so they couldn't access the window from it any more.

They still love going down to the basement, and I still see them eyeing that area with the window, trying to figure out another way up there (there isn't one -- as far as I know!!) ... they loved being in the dropped ceiling!! Ugh!!!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
An 8 x 7 hole sounds big enough for him to get his head stuck! LOL
You could go smaller than that since Bobbles is petite. My big boy is 15 pounds and he gets through. If the curfew thing doesn't work out, maybe you could experiment with cardboard to see how small a hole needs to be for that hound to not get his head stuck.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Hopes:

I didn't read all three pages of comments so it may have been suggested, but just in case not, here:

http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-0930PW...+with+cat+door

I'm eventually going to get one myself to block off the cat room from the hoodlums so that they stop going in there for a snack from the Cat Litter Snack Bar.

Maybe that gate would help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats