Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 02:10 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times

Advertisements

I get a weekly update from the animal shelter in my previous county, where I also adopted two of my current cats. I try not to fall in love with any of the kitties that are on hand, but one came up for adoption today that just broke my heart. A military member surrendered his 16.5 year old cat that has been with him since the age of 4 weeks because he can't take her to his next deployment. Her name is "Yuba" and she doesn't like other cats, although there were other cats on the household (his gf took the others, but she's full up).

As territorial as my current cats are, and at Yuba's advanced age, I plan to let her have the finished basement all to herself. I already ordered an outdoor rug, scratching post and box, and bought an extra litter box so she'll have two of them (I have a new one one in the garage already). I also bought a new cat bed and have a plug-in heating pad so she'll be extra warm although the basement is heated and cooled. The floor is painted concrete so if she has an accident it's no problem (the owner said she was pooping outside the box, but she didn't at the shelter). I'm home almost all the time so I can play with her when she accepts it and have plenty of time for my cats as well. I don't want her to end her life in a cage, where she is clearly miserable and grieving for her owner. Even if she never likes me, at least she'll be comfortable and have some space to move around. Perhaps she'll even come to like my cats, although I'd probably only try her out with my boy cat - he likes everyone. The others won't like not having access to the basement, but they'll adjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 02:30 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
wonder if you could get an old sock or t-shirt from the previous owner. She might like it and it's ease the transition a bit.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:35 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
What a wonderful thing to do. I hope the adoption goes through and that Yuba has a good life with you.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:38 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
How kind of you to let this kitty live out its last years in comfort & love. Well done.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
wonder if you could get an old sock or t-shirt from the previous owner. She might like it and it's ease the transition a bit.
Nope; he's already left on deployment. Unless his gf has one I'm out of luck.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:46 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
God bless you, Bungalove. This is an act of love. We've had great good fortune adopting the difficult-to-place kitties at shelters. Our current pair, Molly and River, were about 14 when we adopted. Now they're 18 and doing well. Sweet sweet kitties.

One we brought in from the cold a couple of winters ago, Punkin aka Pretty Girl, is definitely a people person and not so much a cat person. But she gets along OK with the others, they're just not Best Buds. It could be that your new family member might like to be upstairs where the action--and the human--is. You don't know until you try. I would hate to deprive anyone of the opportunity to crawl into lap, scrunch up next to you, or snuggle up in bed if that's what they want to do.

I'm sure your GI friend is very sad to be leaving his lifelong friend Yuba. In her twilight years. But she may have four months or four years remaining.

Thanks again for doing this. Please keep us up to date on how your new adoption goes.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
God bless you, Bungalove. This is an act of love. We've had great good fortune adopting the difficult-to-place kitties at shelters. Our current pair, Molly and River, were about 14 when we adopted. Now they're 18 and doing well. Sweet sweet kitties.

One we brought in from the cold a couple of winters ago, Punkin aka Pretty Girl, is definitely a people person and not so much a cat person. But she gets along OK with the others, they're just not Best Buds. It could be that your new family member might like to be upstairs where the action--and the human--is. You don't know until you try. I would hate to deprive anyone of the opportunity to crawl into lap, scrunch up next to you, or snuggle up in bed if that's what they want to do.

I'm sure your GI friend is very sad to be leaving his lifelong friend Yuba. In her twilight years. But she may have four months or four years remaining.

Thanks again for doing this. Please keep us up to date on how your new adoption goes.
Oh, I already have a bed quota. My Tonkinese that I inherited from my sister and my boy cat, Scooter, sleep with me (they get along) until my huge dilute tortie, Princess jumps onto the bed. The Tonkinese, Kassumi and Princess don't get along. Kassumi, Scooter, and Sweet Pea, my Russian Blue take turns in my lap. I'd be very wary about introducing Yuba to Sweet Pea because Sweet Pea is extremely territorial. She still hates Kassumi after more than 3 years and will stalk her at every opportunity. I don't want to subject an elderly cat to any more stress than she has already been through, particularly since the owner said that she doesn't even like other cats that she knows already. I'll just have to let things play out the best for all involved.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:54 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Thank you for warming my heart this morning. I hope all goes well with the adoption/transition.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
This is great. I hope the shelter has a way to notify the service member that his cat has found a good home. Please keep us updated.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:54 PM

5,651 posts, read 6,208,289 times
As others have said, thank you Bungalove....still working on getting my husband on board with fostering or doing something like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats