Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 AM
CVP CVP started this thread

581 posts, read 1,904,927 times

Advertisements

Has your cat ever had a reaction to her shots? My cat had her rabies and feline leukemia vaccinations yesterday and today she is withdrawn and has no interest in eating. She's just staying in her bed. I'm assuming it's something that will pass, but this has never happened to her before. She's 10 yrs. old. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Keep an eye on her, but it's not unusual for cats -- or for humans! -- to have reactions to vaccinations.

Sometimes one of our cats or another will just sleep all day long after a vet visit, and not eat much. But they bounce back within 24 to 36 hours.

Hope that's all it is.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
I had a cat, now deceased, that got almost comatose after her vaccinations - she also drooled while lying on the floor. I started seperating her shots by a week. It was more trouble for me but the vet only charged for the first viit - the techs gave the shots and I only paid for the shot itself. She was fine after that.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Yes, it's normal.

And it's why Einstein doesn't get shots anymore.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:34 PM

I called the vet and she asked me to bring her in since she was hot and lethargic. She had a temp so they gave her some fluids and a steroid to counteract the reaction. As soon as she got home she had a little food but she is now back to hiding in the closet. I'm keeping a close eye on her and in the future...if she gets shots...I'll separate them. It's strange she'd have a reaction like this after 10 years problem-free. Thanks for your posts!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:44 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
I called the vet and she asked me to bring her in since she was hot and lethargic. She had a temp so they gave her some fluids and a steroid to counteract the reaction. As soon as she got home she had a little food but she is now back to hiding in the closet. I'm keeping a close eye on her and in the future...if she gets shots...I'll separate them. It's strange she'd have a reaction like this after 10 years problem-free. Thanks for your posts!
If she is an indoor cat, I really wouldn't worry about the shots at all. After 10 years of shots, she has plenty immunity. Older cats are more frail.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:28 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,727 times
Max and Misty both seem very tired for a day after they get their shots, but they bounce back the next day. If your kitty still doesn't seem right today, call your vet. I hope everything is ok.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:23 AM

Thankfully, my kitty cat is back to normal today!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:56 AM

378 posts, read 1,652,341 times
I'm so glad. It just breaks my heart when my fur babies don't feel well.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:12 AM

114 posts, read 318,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
If she is an indoor cat, I really wouldn't worry about the shots at all. After 10 years of shots, she has plenty immunity. Older cats are more frail.
I second, third and fourth this! Vaccinations are a way for vets to make money, and they will push them for that reason. If your cat is indoor-only, there is definitely no need to do any but the ones absolutely required by your state. Be an advocate for your cat, who can't tell you how sick they make them feel by avoiding any future vaxes. 10 years old is way too old to be giving boosters, sheesh. It is so maddening how blithely vets dole out the meds and vaccinations fully knowing and seeing the reactions that come back in waaay too often. My 10 year old Siamese went to the vet's for her yearly checkup last year and the vet wanted to give her a booster. I said how I was concerned with the rising trend of cancer happening at the vax site and she offered an intra-nasal vax instead (goes up their nose, supposedly safer -NOT!), which I dumbly allowed. My poor girl was at the emergency vet's office that night, having breathing problems and drooling. Several hundred dollars later, I was back home with her watching her like a hawk. I missed a day of work and she suffered - not good. I called the vet that day and told them what happened. I got the indifferent "wow, that's very odd". I will never just let any vet tell me what is good for my kitties again without doing massive research. The Internet is a godsend for cat/dog info. Arm yourself with more knowledge before your next vet visit. I know routinely inform my vet of things about food/meds/vaxes that she totally wasn't aware of. I suppose it says good things about her that she admits to not being able to keep up, but for Pete's sake that's their job! I see this all the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats