Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 07:10 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,272,632 times

Advertisements

Ultimately, it depends on the type of work being done; and as long as what needs to get done when it needs to get done is getting done, what is the problem? Slacking off in the workplace is nothing new. Prior to smart phones, employees surfed the web (if they had access to a computer at work). Before that, it was magazines, books, and/or newspapers. Or the water cooler. Or personal phone calls. And what about the employees who took numerous bathroom breaks, who were otherwise healthy individuals...or excessively long lunches, breaks. Or simply daydreaming.

The problem with cellphone usage on the job is that it is always assumed to be personal, and, that it makes it easier to "find something else to do at the moment" on the company's dime. Now, instead of simply standing around scratching your behind as you would have done in the past, you can look at Facebook, read/send a few texts, etc.

Where I work, communications with management, other employees, and sometimes cliental is essential....even off the clock. We are not all in the same place at the same time, so text messaging is the preferred method of communication, followed by email or phone call if email is not possible to compose (time restrictions). Granted, work got done in the past prior to cell phones, sure. However instead of having to leave my post and physically track someone down, I can just send a text. It is way more efficient.

We still have a cell phone policy. Like many have mentioned, cell phone use is "banned" while on the job. Obviously, only dirking around on the phone is not tolerated and I have heard "put your phone away" many, many, times. As soon as I say "I am texting So-and-so", it is all okay. I could be texting anyone about what-ever trivial issue is at hand. And they know that, too. But what can you do? Heck, we even tried to enact policy of leaving cellphones in cars, management offices, etc. Never worked.

I highly doubt cell phones at work drastically reduces production as people have been slacking off long before cell phones. The only difference is that cell phones have become the smoking gun only because they are so obvious. I can have my cell phone out at work and it will be assumed I was using it...or about to use it...simply because it is out in the open. In the past, if I had a magazine on my desk it would only have been assumed I was reading it if it were open to no particular page. What is the difference? Neither situation indicates caught-in-the-act. Yet, with the cell phone is just assumed.

Ten, fifteen years ago people checked their answering machine the second they walked in through the door. Now, the "answering machine" is in our pocket. No difference, just easier accessibility.

I have been telling employers year after year that happy employees are productive employees. The better you treat your employees the less likely they are to actually dirk off on the clock, steal, bad mouth your business, and so on. There are times when the hammer needs to come down, but constantly cracking the whip is the quickest way to lose production.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 07:28 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,423,021 times
When I rode the train to work, I often saw the driver checking his phone constantly. Come on, if you are driving a train full of people, maybe check you texts at lunch break!

I think they installed cameras just focused on the Metro drivers for the one purpose of watching them at work. Texting, fired. Using cell...discharge.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:40 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,467,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
When I rode the train to work, I often saw the driver checking his phone constantly. Come on, if you are driving a train full of people, maybe check you texts at lunch break!

I think they installed cameras just focused on the Metro drivers for the one purpose of watching them at work. Texting, fired. Using cell...discharge.
As is the case with many jobs, I don't understand why the employer for these train drivers allows them to have cell phones at work. I assume that the trains have some means of communication in case of an emergency. An enforced policy that forces the drivers to leave the phones in the car or locker, and imposes severe penalties for violations of the policy would be a good solution to the problem. The drivers that keep their phones are fired. Problem solved.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:42 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,852,161 times
http://rt.com/shows/the-truthseeker/...e-warning-447/

Old 10-24-2018, 10:48 PM

41 posts, read 14,939 times
We easily get attracted to the virtual world and addicted to the freedom we get. Just like smoking, mobile phone obsession is an addiction that is difficult to discard. It may be a long journey to achieve digital wellness, but a long journey always begins with the first step. In this case, the journey to getting rid of mobile phone obsession is to admit that you have a problem and that you are willing to work on it.

The natural next step is to take measures to diminish phone and social media usage. There are a variety of self-treatment methods that you can do to accomplish this.

- Create rules for yourself that you should follow strictly.
- Download applications that can prohibit access to certain sites, or even the phone itself.
- Perform activities that help keep your body and mind away from your mobile phone.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:50 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,664,649 times
What is the responsibility of the cell phone industry in this though, should we not be expecting them to come up with new technology, to solve some of these problems? example, texting while doing something else is considered highly dangerous, like driving a car or operating machinery...but people STILL do it...why has 'speech to text' technology not been improved to the point where all you have to do is speak the text u want to send and it types it out (my phone is older and it even has this function, its not perfect, but it does work OK).

Progression of cell phone technology should be solving problems like this imo.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:36 AM

16,566 posts, read 19,776,508 times
We are there. My phone is on the table next to me. Without even touching it I can say.
Me: OK Google, Send Text to wife, I love you.
Google: I think you said send text I love you to Stacy. Is that correct?
Me: Yes.
Google: OK Sending...

Old 10-29-2018, 11:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,664,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
We are there. My phone is on the table next to me. Without even touching it I can say.
Me: OK Google, Send Text to wife, I love you.
Google: I think you said send text I love you to Stacy. Is that correct?
Me: Yes.
Google: OK Sending...
Exactly...why are people not using this function? I realize it doesnt get the words right everytime, but again, its on the cell phone companies to improve upon this technology and make it better.

I can even set my phone up to read out texts that are sent to me, so I dont even have to look at the phone.

THIS alone would solve the problem of texting while driving!!

Old 11-01-2018, 10:47 AM

4,897 posts, read 14,159,654 times
Out of date thread brought back to life ~ relevancy seven years later ~ work emails & texts depending on your line of work dictate use of a phone today in and/or out of the office. I get emails 24/7 from my work. Board members email at all hours of the night with issues that affect properties; some are urgent/emergencies. The need to be connected & responsive has overtaken downtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones