Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,824,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
As we miniaturize and miniaturize, I think making a larger Iphone will let the smart guys at Apple pack in more capability into that larger package.
The 4" screen and accompanying case size will make life easier for them.

I suspect an Iphone 5 will show up around here for the New Year. I'm not too worried about it being a bummer.
I think it's a safe assumption that the iPhone 5, or whatever it will be called, will be announced in September.

I think it's also a safe assumption that the screen size will get a bump up. I like the iPhone, it's a solid product. One of my biggest complaints about it has been the tiny screen size. It has a pretty big bezel that Apple could cut into to get a larger screen size without making the physical phone that much bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 AM

16,620 posts, read 19,860,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
iOS is really showing it's age;
LOVE this comment. My god the basic LOOK of iOS hasn't changed since.... erm... since inception?!?!

Mix it up Apple. Love to see something totally new. But it won't be this version....

Playing with my wife's iPad last night. Can you really not put icons anywhere you want them? I was trying to rearrange the icons so they weren't blocking my kids face on the wallpaper... it auto arranges them across the top every time. Come on Apple, open it up a little!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,306,308 times
Really solid points from everyone.

Just like OS X, they arent going to mess with the iOS UI much. Which isnt necessarily a bad thing if it works. Not all end users really care about cutting edge or new stuff if they are only migrating now or simply dont care if the improvements on other OSs are so minor, its more of a 'oh thats cool, but not enough to make me buy it" crowd.

With Apple, their biggest hurdle will be where everything is going as it relates to location based services, user data and cloud push. This is a strategy that I dont see them really attacking. They like media and creatives. Not so much on the business or power users.

Google and Microsoft own both of those arenas (data, power, flexibility) whether you like them or not, they are absolutley poised to make sure they either get paid for those services or make sure their services are exclusive to it.
Apple would need to invest some serious dough to even come close, which I dont think they are. Probably just maintain their baby cloud stuff that matters to their core users.

They have ALWAYS been device centric and while there is total merit to their incredible engineering and design, may prove to be somewhat limiting in the future. As far as the near term, they are fine. But I am seeing more and more folks getting 'bored' from the iPhone and looking to migrate. Still cant argue their user numbers though in the market. Thats what happens when you become the new normal.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 08-23-2012 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,720,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Please do your self a favor and test out the Samsung Galaxy S3, it'll make the iphone and ios feel like something from the dark ages..

Oh i have and i agree its awesome

Old 08-23-2012, 10:39 AM

43,527 posts, read 77,558,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I think it's a safe assumption that the iPhone 5, or whatever it will be called, will be announced in September.

I think it's also a safe assumption that the screen size will get a bump up. I like the iPhone, it's a solid product. One of my biggest complaints about it has been the tiny screen size. It has a pretty big bezel that Apple could cut into to get a larger screen size without making the physical phone that much bigger.
I understand the probability of a September announcement. I was referring to Santy Claus, making a list, checking it twice, etc....

Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,306,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

The screen size is supposed to be a little bit taller, according to rumors. That, and a larger battery are probably going to be the only new features. Other than that, the only other "new" stuff that appears apparent are: repositioned headphone jack; smaller, 9-pin connector; a smaller sim card (which means a larger battery); and a thinner screen (which could mean more breakage).

As usual, the iPhone 5 will not be a radical change from the previous version and users "wish list" hopes will once again not be included (USB, microSD slot, Flash support, and a few others). NFC may or may not be in the iPhone 5. 4G is probably going to be on Korean versions of the iPhone 5, but may or may not be included in the American version (due to caps on data usage).

A September (14th?) announcement has been pretty much confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Come on Apple, open it up a little!
That would be nice, but at the end of the day Apple does not have to. ANd I do not think Apple has ever been known to give the consumer what the consumer actually wanted...unless what the consumer wants is what Apple produces of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
They like media and creatives. Not so much on the business or power users.
Well, according to City-Data users, you are wrong. The iPhone is most definitely a productivity tool first and foremost.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:27 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,079,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
As usual, the iPhone 5 will not be a radical change from the previous version and users "wish list" hopes will once again not be included (USB, microSD slot, Flash support, and a few others). NFC may or may not be in the iPhone 5. 4G is probably going to be on Korean versions of the iPhone 5, but may or may not be included in the American version (due to caps on data usage).
Who is wishing for these things?

I'm an iPhone user and I could care less about USB and especially MicroSD. What in the world would I ever use a micro SD slot for? Music, pictures, and movies are all stored on internal storage and I find that 32 or 64 gigs is plenty (and you know that within the next year or two, there will be a 128 gig model).

I would rather delete old apps and movies I never watch anymore than ugly up the design with a micro SD slot.

I don't really see the point of having USB either because the iPhone is increasingly going wireless. iTunes syncs happen over the wifi and pictures/videos taken automatically appear in my photo stream album on the computer. Honestly, I haven't plugged in the dock connector to my computer in a long, long time.

I would rather Apple focus on making the front facing camera better (it takes terrible quality pics), maybe a better display (3D option?), longer battery life, etc than waste their time on USB and MicroSD.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 PM

654 posts, read 1,429,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The screen size is supposed to be a little bit taller, according to rumors. That, and a larger battery are probably going to be the only new features. Other than that, the only other "new" stuff that appears apparent are: repositioned headphone jack; smaller, 9-pin connector; a smaller sim card (which means a larger battery); and a thinner screen (which could mean more breakage).

A September (14th?) announcement has been pretty much confirmed.

That would be nice, but at the end of the day Apple does not have to. ANd I do not think Apple has ever been known to give the consumer what the consumer actually wanted...unless what the consumer wants is what Apple produces of course.

Well, according to City-Data users, you are wrong. The iPhone is most definitely a productivity tool first and foremost.
Flash for mobile devices is dead and won't be supported anymore. USB and microSD?!? Sounds like an argument from 2009 lol. Why not bring up the physical keyboard that everyone loves LOL! Everything is becoming wireless and Iphone offers a 64 gig version. Coupled with the cloud, why do you need SD cards. Now, lets talk about NFC. What have you used it for? Exactly!! True Android had this for a while, but it's been pretty much useless. Most people probably don't even realize it's in the phone lol!

As far as "Radical change", the SGS3 is not radically different than the S2. Yes it's a little faster and added some new gimmicky features, but basically the same. I wonder what will become of the S4 because Android has ran out of screen sizes to lure people in.

To be honest with you, smartphones in general have reached a plateau. There is not a whole lot of things left to add. Sure battery life will improve and phones will get faster processors, but neither is revolutionary to me. If you want to know where smartphones are headed, see laptops and desktops. Most people dont buy a new one unless there old one breaks. Why? because even a 5 year old computer can run the internet and basic task plenty fast and no real need to upgrade to that faster processor. Smartphone sales across the board will slow because of this. I'll give it two years.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:55 AM

16,620 posts, read 19,860,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
USB and microSD?!? Sounds like an argument from 2009 lol.
_IN DEFENSE OF SD CARDS_

Seriously? You totally sound like a lifelong Apple'r.
I have 12GB of stuff. 10GB of Music, 2 GB of Pictures on my 32GB card.
I have a backup of my entire phone on it. So I backup. Get new phone. Restore. Done.
I get a new phone. I pop the card out and in to the new phone. Boom. There's my stuff.
Get with the program, you tell me? "the cloud, the cloud!"
Guess what? All my pics are stored in DropBox and synched autmatically. All my Music is in Google Music and synched there. I STILL want a copy of my own.
Not to even mention, if I download a document, I can put it on my SD Card. Every app on my phone can then access it. Not so Apple. Download a document in one app and ONLY that one app can see it because the OS won't let apps share things.
I want to put a 10GB PowerPoint on my phone? Sure I could DropBox it or something else. But it's nice to *pop* take the card out. Put it in my laptop. Copy document. Put back in phone. Certainly quicker then my 3G phone (assume 4g would be quicker, though).
Lastly, PRICE. The 16GB Droid Incredible 3 is $149. Period. No other prices. Buy a 32GB SD card for $30. 48GB Phone for less then $200.
iPhone pricing? 16GB for $199. 32 for $299. An extra $100!!! for a $20 part (if Apple even pays that much for it). $399 for the 64GB version. $400! You are paying $200 for 32 GB of RAM. Price out some 32GB cards.
Apple is sticking it to you, my man. Which is why I always recommend that 16GB one.

They won't add SD cards for 2 reasons:
1) Being able to do that could provide hackers easier access to Jailbreaking phones
2) Profit. Profit. Profit.

/Not defending Google, here. There is no SD card in the Flagship Android tablet Nexus7 either. Very disappointed. But at least they ONLY charge an extra $50 for that $30 part $199 (16) vs. $249(32).

Quote:

Why not bring up the physical keyboard that everyone loves LOL!
While I agree we don't need them many people still want them...

Quote:
and Iphone offers a 64 gig version
for $400....
Quote:
Coupled with the cloud
which they only give you a sliver of it. To really backup everything on your device you need to pay extra, annually, to really have enough space to back everything up. If you take a lot of pics or have a ton of apps anyway.

Quote:
Now, lets talk about NFC. What have you used it for? Exactly!! True Android had this for a while, but it's been pretty much useless. Most people probably don't even realize it's in the phone lol!
Bazillion per cent agree. I don't want my phone to be a wallet...

Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,247,684 times
The inevitable reality is that now Apple is playing catch up, looking at the S3 and its impressive specs I can guarantee that that the IPhone 5 or I-5 or what ever it's gonna be called will simply not exceed, the best Apple could do is to at least match up with Galaxy S3 specs and quality..

But one thing, like usual apple has the edge in is marketing, and even that is shrinking now that Android can walk tall and proud..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones