Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 11:30 AM

275 posts, read 1,283,497 times

Advertisements

What does toll free phone number mean?

Is calling a toll free number free for the caller, regardless of his/her plan (prepaid or postpaid)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 11:44 AM

61,727 posts, read 87,147,355 times
In short:
a toll-free, Freecall, Freephone, or 800/888/877/866 or 855 number is a special telephone number, in that the called party is charged the cost of the calls. Its free for the caller, and paid by the called party (the toll-free subscriber) instead of the calling party. Its always free for the caller ( no matter if using own or public phone )
Toll-Free Numbers And How They Work | FCC.gov

Old 10-28-2012, 12:00 PM

275 posts, read 1,283,497 times
But my current and previous cellular plan companies said, as long as I make conversation on my phone to anywhere except their customer service, I will be charged according to the time. My previous one is a post paid plan with Sprint, and my current is a prepaid one with PagePlus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In short:
a toll-free, Freecall, Freephone, or 800/888/877/866 or 855 number is a special telephone number, in that the called party is charged the cost of the calls. Its free for the caller, and paid by the called party (the toll-free subscriber) instead of the calling party. Its always free for the caller ( no matter if using own or public phone )
Toll-Free Numbers And How They Work | FCC.gov

Old 10-28-2012, 12:02 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,012 times
It is free to call from a landline. Anytime you call on your cell it cost money. The exceptions are defined by your provider. Maybe you can call their customer service, maybe you can call others that have the same provider, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)

Old 10-28-2012, 12:33 PM

61,727 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Yes, its free from a landline. When you use a cell phone, you use minutes. Since you're using minutes on a toll free call, you are charged for all toll free calls. Toll free calls are just like regular calls: they count as used minutes during the day and they have no impact on nights and weekends when calling is unlimited, assuming you have a plan that is set up this way. There should be no other charges associated with a toll free call. Unless you have unlimited plans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones