Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,353,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Get an android phone and block texts
No.

But, I did figure out it's as I stated in my 1st post... I can block texts from anyone who doesn't have an iPhone & as expected, cannot block anyone on the same account (not that I'd want to... just stating fact). Not helpful in my case, since few have the older, bare bones models (like my Trackfone). No worries, it's not life threatening... I was just trying to eliminate a bit of daily annoyance. I can live with just ignoring texts. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,803,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
No.

But, I did figure out it's as I stated in my 1st post... I can block texts from anyone who doesn't have an iPhone & as expected, cannot block anyone on the same account (not that I'd want to... just stating fact). Not helpful in my case, since few have the older, bare bones models (like my Trackfone). No worries, it's not life threatening... I was just trying to eliminate a bit of daily annoyance. I can live with just ignoring texts. Thanks everyone.
If you haven't done so, you can change the sound so it is less annoying.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
If you haven't done so, you can change the sound so it is less annoying.
Thanks, TL. Yep, I do know that. When I get a new toy, I explore it thoroughly for a few days 'til I learn all the features. I just thought there might be some hidden tip of which I wasn't aware... like the day I accidentally found the flashlight feature... woo hoo! I've learned to turn the volume off & turn the phone upside down when going to sleep, so early morning (2-6am) texts don't illuminate the screen & wake me. And, no, I don't keep the phone next to me... it's in another room... it just doesn't take much to wake me, especially when the whole corner of a darkened room lights up. Now, turned upside down, it's fine.

I also decided to just stop responding at all, even thought my responses had been mostly pleas to not text me continually... if I tell them I turned off texting & never received their messages, perhaps they'll eventually stop when I never respond. In fact, 2-days ago I was bombarded with texts... I didn't reply & it was quiet yesterday & this am. Sometimes letting go (if there are no other easy options) is the best solution.

I'm all set now... thanks, All!

Old 06-21-2014, 09:33 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,497,335 times
While there is no way to totally block texts from coming to your phone, neither via your carrier nor on the phone itself, one thing you can do is to just turn off all notifications from the Messages App.

Go into Settings > Notification Center > Messages and select Alert Style 'None', and turn off all the other notification options that you see in there.

This way the texts are still technically coming through but you will not be notified nor will you see the little red circle on the App showing how many texts you've missed. You won't have to see them at all unless you decide to go into the app.

Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
'Vacation' msg with iOS7 when turn off texting?-2014-06-21-23.30.07.png  

Old 06-21-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
...turn off all notifications from the Messages App. Go into Settings > Notification Center > Messages and select Alert Style 'None', and turn off all the other notification options that you see in there.
Beautiful, Zeus. Cheers. I just set it up & it will help greatly. Thank you for taking your time to post all this!

Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
While there is no way to totally block texts from coming to your phone, neither via your carrier nor on the phone itself, one thing you can do is to just turn off all notifications from the Messages App.
Well, for anyone else who may need it, I did find a way to block specific people's texts, but as with the above method, there's a but-if with it, too.

Settings > Messages > Blocked... scroll to the bottom, choose Add New & insert the Contact or phone #. (Note: The bottom of the screen says 'You will not receive phone calls, messages or Face Time from people on the block list'.) So, the only issue would be if you wish to receive calls, but not texts from that person.

I guess we have to pick our poison in the social networking world of now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones