Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 03:31 PM

22,124 posts, read 13,232,194 times

Advertisements

Mine isn't particularly old, but I seldom if ever use it and really carry it only for emergencies. I've read that phones not connected to a service provider (that is, without a SIM card, contract, or minutes/service days on a pre-paid) can still be used to make 911 calls. Obviously I don't want to test this theory since it's a crime to make "false" calls for non-emergent reasons, but I wonder if being broken down on the side of the road in a disabled car would qualify as an emergency and how the dispatcher would handle that. Would help be sent?

I was actually going to post this to a "Frugality" or "Penny-Pinching" forum, but noticed there isn't one here!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 03:41 PM

17,241 posts, read 57,273,006 times
Actually, there is a "Frugal Living" forum under Economics.

As I understand it, the first and second generations of phones won't make any calls at all, because the towers don't "recognize" them anymore. Like the way your current computer won't open a Word Perfect document from the early 90's. I am not that certain about this though.

You can get a TracPhone from WalMart for so cheap, I can't see why you would want something cheaper, or why you would expect to be able to get a working phone cheaper.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Actually, there is a "Frugal Living" forum under Economics.

As I understand it, the first and second generations of phones won't make any calls at all, because the towers don't "recognize" them anymore. Like the way your current computer won't open a Word Perfect document from the early 90's. I am not that certain about this though.

You can get a TracPhone from WalMart for so cheap, I can't see why you would want something cheaper, or why you would expect to be able to get a working phone cheaper.
I have a TracPhone, but I keep paying for call/text minutes I don't use and service days/time that expire. And thanks for the heads-up (Economics).

Old 08-06-2019, 08:04 AM

16,609 posts, read 19,841,213 times
You would call 911 if your car broke down?

Old 08-06-2019, 08:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,223,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

That would depend on where it was broke down.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:09 PM

6,528 posts, read 10,458,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I certainly wouldn't suggest it. The 911 operators have better things to respond to and being a concierge service isn't one of them.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:51 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,714,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I have a TracPhone, but I keep paying for call/text minutes I don't use and service days/time that expire. And thanks for the heads-up (Economics).
$80 1333 MINUTES 1 year

Page Plus Cellular has a 1 year plan for $80 for people who want to make only emergency and breakdown calls . You have almost two hours per month of talk time, so it covers your "I'm late to dinner calls".

The price should be acceptable for even the most frugal person in the world. There is no need to interfere with 9-11 service.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:46 AM

5,358 posts, read 3,258,905 times
I think that the OP misunderstands "frugal". This is just plain nonsense - to not be connected to the world, and safety because s/he thinks it's "frugal".

Frugal involves due diligence as it relates to prices, not becoming a burden to society because s/he doesn't want to pay a de minimis amount each month for connectivity to emergency services. That's not frugal its just dumb, sorry.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I think that the OP misunderstands "frugal". This is just plain nonsense - to not be connected to the world, and safety because s/he thinks it's "frugal".

Frugal involves due diligence as it relates to prices, not becoming a burden to society because s/he doesn't want to pay a de minimis amount each month for connectivity to emergency services. That's not frugal its just dumb, sorry.
Obviously I'm seeking a way to be "connected for safety" or I'd just do without a phone altogether and not ask. The issue, as I said, is that I have to keep buying an excess of minutes I never use in order to continue the service time I would need in an emergency. If I could buy just service time without the minutes, I would, but I can't. So I'm seeking a more efficient, less wasteful way to achieve the same end, which is what frugal people do. Do most people find frugality in general "dumb" and crazy? Yes, they do.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:02 AM

UPDATE: I found I was able to purchase just 30 more minutes (and 30 service days) and then "add on" 365 additional service days with that purchase. Again, I virtually never use minutes, but I have to have days to keep the phone operational.

Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones