Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 07:52 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,502,057 times

Advertisements

This is basically half off of the $50 plan. Give AT&T $300 upfront, you don't have to pay for a year and you get 8 GB of data each month. New lines of activation only, and this deal expires 10/21/19.

Between this and the WalMart 25 GB plan I fully expect a few permanent changes at AT&T Prepaid. These are my projections for next year
  • 8 GB data each month becomes the new minimum
  • The price of the unlimited plan moves from $65 a month to $50 a month
  • Advanced Messaging comes to AT&T Prepaid after it comes to Cricket first.

Keep in mind we're just now getting Wi-Fi Calling and HD Voice. The latter of which is not available on their cheaper phones, but the sound quality over Wi-Fi is good enough that does not matter, IMO. Advanced Messaging, now I'm just getting hopeful; I think Cricket will get it next year or even 2021, and if it proves successful there it will make it's way over to AT&T Prepaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:33 AM

62,138 posts, read 88,017,025 times
https://www.cnet.com/news/altice-off...st-20-a-month/
sounds good too

Old 09-15-2019, 10:37 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,721,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If you are already an Altice customer, I don't see how you can turn this offer down. If you are not an Altice customer, the offer is for $30 a month, but it is only good on a zip code basis.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:32 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,216,375 times
I just did the online chat w/Altice mobile sales, since I'm in a zip that this is being offered, and I also happen to be shopping for a new phone/mobile plan right now. After asking a a ton of questions, this does seem to be legit. The $20 plan is a lifetime plan (not subject to random, stupid hikes like their cable/internet service) as long as you're enrolled in autopay, otherwise it's an extra $5/mo.

So the stores sell iPhones 6 and up, which is what I'm buying (the XR). It will be locked for the first 90 days, then unlocked thereafter. This pricing really seems too good to be true, I'm looking for the catch. I don't like that online chat is the only way to communicate to their mobile customer service. I have Altice cable/internet right now and I can verify that their customer service is beyond dismal, approaching absolutely atrocious. So I'm a bit leery of using them for mobile service too. But with this pricing, I may have to check it out. Unlimited everything for $20/month? Pretty crazy.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:42 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,216,375 times
Well... the outcome of the above post....

After a detailed back and forth messaging session with Altice Mobile last friday. I went by the store in my town to look at phones and set up an account. Going to the store was the only way to purchase a new iPhone, according to online chat. Ha! Was I in for a huge shock. First let me say that the Suddenlink store in my town is tiny and staffed by maybe 2 women and it is ALWAYS, ALWAYS jam-packed with customers trying to get some issue worked out, or set up service or other stuff I don't know about. So I walk in and see maybe 40-ish people crammed in there waiting to talk with an employee. There are only 4 seats in this office, so sweaty people were standing, lined up against every wall and around the center kiosk, which serves no purpose, btw. Worst store layout I've ever seen. This is more of a tiny office than a store. Since I didn't see anything for sale, that kinda disqualifies it as a "store". Half of the people waiting were elderly and even on walkers, standing there waiting. And waiting. It's hot and stuffy and people are openly dissing Suddenlink and sharing their bad customer service horror stories with the guy next to them. I was told there would be a 2-HOUR WAIT. Say what?? Just to be acknowledged, much less serviced in any way.

A quick glance around tells me there are no phones out on display, or anything else. Hmm, what's wrong with this picture? Obviously they did not sell phones like I was told in the online chat. But how would I know for sure, since no one would even acknowledge my existence and I sure wasn't about to wait 2 hours for a yes or no answer to a simple question? This was not a one-off experience. The only other 2 times I had to go to this Suddenlink cave, the situation was just as bad. The last time a couple of weeks ago, I had to go in to exchange my 2 remotes for new ones (no other way to get new remotes). I signed the wait list then went down the street to buy pet food, etc. then returned and I was STILL several people away from talking to a customer service rep. I really didn't know for sure that they even HAD remotes at this office until it became my turn to have the pleasure of talking to this woman, who looked shell-shocked and numb. Nice!

There are more annoying and maddening details of this endeavor to acquire Altice Mobile service but won't go into them here. Suffice to say that I've decided to stick with ATT and get my new iPhone from them, even though the service plan will be much more expensive.

Just not worth the hassle now, or future hassle of dealing with Altice - a company that hasn't seemed to grasp, much less practice, the concept of customer service. Imagine trying to work out some complex issue via online chat, which is the only option to communicate with a customer service rep?? Ha! Or what if I wasn't the expert typist that I am? Imagine trying to hunt and peck on your keyboard trying to communicate with these bozos.

No dice, Altice!

Last edited by BijouBaby; 10-07-2019 at 12:58 PM..

Old 11-23-2021, 08:49 PM

8,413 posts, read 6,520,002 times
The AT&T prepaid $300 up front, 8 GB is still on their website. That works out to $25 a month plus taxes and fees.
I won a iphone Xs for a really low price on ebay, locked to AT&T. Before i bid on it I put in the AMEI number on Crickets website, I have Cricket, and it was suppose to work in Cricket but when I went there there was some techanicallity that it won't work on Cricket so I hope to get this AT&T plan. I havent yet because I'm paid up with Cricket until the middle of Dec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones