Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 04:31 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,843,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airemp76 View Post
its not ancient, it came out in 2012, 2012 was only 8 years ago, olus i dont like modern iPhones cuz of the forced auto updates and the inability to root them, thats why i went back to flip phones and only held on to that iPhone 5 for raspberry Pi projects

anyways its a great phone for people that arent millionares cuz you can find them for $20.00 at goodwill (in my case)
8 years ago is ancient in “phone-years”. Nothing wrong with using one, but it is ancient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 11:56 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,385,199 times
No, I do not recommend the iPhone SE 2020. I bought one in May, and sold it in June.

The battery life was horrible, and I used it sparingly as a back up device. I always kept it on "low power mode" to make the battery last the day.

Often times it would drain 20-30% overnight!! That is insane for an iPhone to drain that much.

I barely had any apps installed as well, since it was a play phone to test and see how it would work out.

With the battery being so poor being brand new, it would only get worse over time. I keep my phones for a very long time. I still use my iPhone 7 Plus which lasts far longer and is decent to boot still.

It's a shame the iPhone SE is gimped by such a wickedly small battery but such a fast CPU, a bad combination for daily use.

I'm glad I sold my iPhone SE 2020 and will buy a phone with a bigger battery as a replacement. Waiting to see what iPhone 1 looks like, and Pixel 4a.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:23 PM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
No, I do not recommend the iPhone SE 2020. I bought one in May, and sold it in June.

The battery life was horrible, and I used it sparingly as a back up device. I always kept it on "low power mode" to make the battery last the day.

Often times it would drain 20-30% overnight!! That is insane for an iPhone to drain that much.

I barely had any apps installed as well, since it was a play phone to test and see how it would work out.

With the battery being so poor being brand new, it would only get worse over time. I keep my phones for a very long time. I still use my iPhone 7 Plus which lasts far longer and is decent to boot still.

It's a shame the iPhone SE is gimped by such a wickedly small battery but such a fast CPU, a bad combination for daily use.

I'm glad I sold my iPhone SE 2020 and will buy a phone with a bigger battery as a replacement. Waiting to see what iPhone 1 looks like, and Pixel 4a.
I have the opposite experience as you do. Battery life on my SE is great. Have no problems with mass drainage at night or during the day and I have dozens of apps downloaded on my phone.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:01 PM

43,715 posts, read 44,480,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I have the opposite experience as you do. Battery life on my SE is great. Have no problems with mass drainage at night or during the day and I have dozens of apps downloaded on my phone.
My father who purchased an iphone SE overseas emailed me that the one he got also has good battery life.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Coming back to your post, do you have Bluetooth on regularly when not needed? Bluetooth can kill your battery pretty quickly.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:38 PM

6,491 posts, read 10,375,377 times
Quote:
Coming back to your post, do you have Bluetooth on regularly when not needed? Bluetooth can kill your battery pretty quickly.
Agreed with you there. In addition, WiFi and GPS should also be disabled when not in use to save battery power.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Agreed with you there. In addition, WiFi and GPS should also be disabled when not in use to save battery power.
Yep. This means that I’ll have my WiFi off when I’m not connected to the internet via WiFi, which is basically whenever I’m not home. I’ll have my Bluetooth off whenever I’m not using it, which basically means every time I’m not in my car. It makes a world of difference.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:42 AM

8,527 posts, read 4,766,063 times
iPhone SE is, from what gathered the last time I got a phone, kinda perfect. I got suckered in another direction for some other reasons, but the SE is basically a pretty powerful unit. I use my iPhone for job things, and it’s never been underpowered. I don’t really use the features, though. Never really used Siri, I avoid upgrades because they are usually worse than what came before, hell I don’t even use emojis. I can’t really tell HD from SD, so the screen doesn’t matter. My wife got a new one recently, not sure which, but the screen extends past the ear speaker thingy which looks really annoying.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:37 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,385,199 times
Quote:
Bluetooth on does not kill battery, contrary to popular opinion.

To compare, I have other iPhones - iPhone 6s, 7, 8 in the family all running on the iOS 13.x, all with bluetooth on, wifi on, cellular on, location on, etc. None of the other iPhones drained more than 3-5% overnight, even though they were running many more apps than the new iPhone SE.

The new iPhone SE battery is too small for the powerful CPU. Perhaps some people just don't have other phones to compare, or they may not notice because they charge it frequently to 100%.

The problem with constantly charging to 100%, is it will kill the battery health rapidly. I try to charge between 40% - 85%. As a result, the iPhone 6s battery health is still at 90% despite using it daily for 4 years.

The iPhone SE battery health will rapidly decline under constant charging to 100% and leaving it trickle charging overnight or for extended periods of time.

That is a shame because the A13 CPU should be supported for 5 years, but it's pointless if the battery won't survive more than 1 or 2 years of regular use / charge.

I keep my iPhones for a very long time instead of buying new iPhones regularly, so battery health / life is super important.

If you can afford to buy a new iPhone every year or two, then I suggest you may have money to buy a better iPhone with a bigger battery rather than buying the iPhone SE. For people looking to save on buying a cheap phone, the iPhone SE is not it. The possibility of early battery death / rapid decline of battery health means you'll end up spending more money for a new phone when it expires quickly over 1-2 years. Better to buy a better phone to begin with.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Bluetooth on does not kill battery, contrary to popular opinion.

To compare, I have other iPhones - iPhone 6s, 7, 8 in the family all running on the iOS 13.x, all with bluetooth on, wifi on, cellular on, location on, etc. None of the other iPhones drained more than 3-5% overnight, even though they were running many more apps than the new iPhone SE.

The new iPhone SE battery is too small for the powerful CPU. Perhaps some people just don't have other phones to compare, or they may not notice because they charge it frequently to 100%.

The problem with constantly charging to 100%, is it will kill the battery health rapidly. I try to charge between 40% - 85%. As a result, the iPhone 6s battery health is still at 90% despite using it daily for 4 years.

The iPhone SE battery health will rapidly decline under constant charging to 100% and leaving it trickle charging overnight or for extended periods of time.

That is a shame because the A13 CPU should be supported for 5 years, but it's pointless if the battery won't survive more than 1 or 2 years of regular use / charge.

I keep my iPhones for a very long time instead of buying new iPhones regularly, so battery health / life is super important.

If you can afford to buy a new iPhone every year or two, then I suggest you may have money to buy a better iPhone with a bigger battery rather than buying the iPhone SE. For people looking to save on buying a cheap phone, the iPhone SE is not it. The possibility of early battery death / rapid decline of battery health means you'll end up spending more money for a new phone when it expires quickly over 1-2 years. Better to buy a better phone to begin with.
That's fair. I guess a more accurate statement to make is that if your battery is draining faster while asleep with Bluetooth/WiFi on (and I have had this happen to me . . . turning off Bluetooth/WiFi greatly decreased the drainage levels), then something has to be up otherwise with the phone/code that is causing Bluetooth and/or WiFi to actively search (and at higher power levels than normal) for open networks and devices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones