Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 08:29 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

About a week and half ago, (for some strange reason), when I try to dial a handful of numbers I have in my contacts, the call will end 2 seconds after I hit call...heres the weird thing, these people are also suddenly not able to call me either, (their phone does the same thing), and I know 3 of them are not even on the same network as I am.

Ive tried to call these numbers numerous times and it always ends at 2 seconds. I have the numbers entered correctly (with the area code)...area code is required to make any call in my area, even local numbers.

In a few cases, the people and I have been standing right next to each other and get the same thing if we try to call each other. (Ive already checked to make sure I dont have the numbers on 'block')

Anyone have a similar thing happen and figured out what it was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 05:31 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
Could it be the new procedure to make calls which started October 24, 2021? You now need a 10 digit number to make even local calls. This is due to the new 988 suicide prevention hotline that has been established. If the person has a hard wired landline they must dial 1 + the 10 digit number.

Not sure if the change required reentering a 10 digit number in your numbers that you had already saved on your phone, but, you might try deleting and then resaving a number to see if that helps.

Another possibility - are these particular people considered a long distance call when you have to dial 1 before the 10 digit number? Look for something that is common to the people you have difficulty reaching.

Last edited by Mary2014; 11-10-2021 at 05:46 AM..

Old 11-10-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Could it be the new procedure to make calls which started October 24, 2021? You now need a 10 digit number to make even local calls. This is due to the new 988 suicide prevention hotline that has been established. If the person has a hard wired landline they must dial 1 + the 10 digit number.

Not sure if the change required reentering a 10 digit number in your numbers that you had already saved on your phone, but, you might try deleting and then resaving a number to see if that helps.

Another possibility - are these particular people considered a long distance call when you have to dial 1 before the 10 digit number? Look for something that is common to the people you have difficulty reaching.
That was one of the first things I thought to check, I tried adding the 1 before the area code, and without...same result either way.

Old 11-10-2021, 09:04 AM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That was one of the first things I thought to check, I tried adding the 1 before the area code, and without...same result either way.
That sounds like a local or regional problem. Do you know anyone having the same issue with the same cellular carrier in your area?

Old 11-10-2021, 10:20 AM

OP,
Which carrier do you use? Try calling them and identify the telephone numbers where you are having an issue. They may be able to do a test on their end to identify what is causing the problem. They may be able to isolate the problem as your cell phone works fine with other numbers you call.

I know when I had any issues with Verizon that normal tech support could not handle it was pushed up higher to a supervisor who identified and fixed the problem. They have been helpful with my landline and my cell phone in the past. Sometimes you need a second telephone number available for them to contact you so they can walk you thru various things to check on the phone line experiencing the difficulty. I don't know how good other providers are with technical support, but, I found Verizon responsive whenever I had an issue with my phone line.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
OP,

I know when I had any issues with Verizon that normal tech support could not handle it was pushed up higher to a supervisor who identified and fixed the problem.
It was most likely a trouble ticket was sent from Tier I (regular customer service) to Tier II technical support for resolution. A supervisor is not needed in most circumstances. There is no direct phone # for customers to call Tier II troubleshooting.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
It was most likely a trouble ticket was sent from Tier I (regular customer service) to Tier II technical support for resolution. A supervisor is not needed in most circumstances. There is no direct phone # for customers to call Tier II troubleshooting.
Yes, I think you are right. Tier 1 went thru all the basics and could not resolve the problem and bumped it up to the next level.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
That sounds like a local or regional problem. Do you know anyone having the same issue with the same cellular carrier in your area?
Yes, one of the people I can no longer call, she cannot call me anymore either.

I was at her house a few days ago and standing right next to each other, we both tried calling the other, neither would make the call. She has an Apple Iphone and has a different cell provider than I do. Its very weird.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:18 AM

Both you and your friend should contact your respective carriers for troubleshooting/investigation. Trouble tickets may need to be filed with both carriers for resolution. When reaching out to customer service, try calling from a different phone # other than your own if possible (as well as your friend) or go to a local store for help.

From my prior experience as a customer service rep for At&t, this sounds like a possible internal routing issue that may require deep investigation or may be easily resolved. Stuff happens from time to time. Best wishes and I hope it gets resolved in a timely manner.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:53 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Have you tried calling direct instead of just clicking on the number in contacts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones