Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 04:33 PM

6,488 posts, read 10,372,452 times

Advertisements

My Samsung just got updated to Android 12 and after the installation, the previously unavailable eSIM option just got unlocked. I am currently using T-Mobile, so not all phones with the same phone model on all carriers may get the update at the same time. I thought it might help users who wanted to use this feature with the same phone model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 08:05 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
My Samsung just got updated to Android 12 and after the installation, the previously unavailable eSIM option just got unlocked. I am currently using T-Mobile, so not all phones with the same phone model on all carriers may get the update at the same time. I thought it might help users who wanted to use this feature with the same phone model.
Some carriers won’t do eSIM on specific types of plans.

I’m loving using my factory unlocked LG G8x dual screen as a phone on a plan with data (rolled over to use up the $ AT&T owes me), but the #1 reason I bought the phone was the audio (the DAC and how the DAC was tuned), followed by it being a Dual Screen….both of which I could enjoy without using it as a phone,

A couple of months before buying that phone I bought a 2020 iPhone SE and was using the AT&T no data prepaid $2 per day SIM on that.

Before buying the LG (I was going to buy the LG no matter the short term use plan), I decided to do the rollover out of 3G (starting to use up the $ Verizon owes me) with Verizon because they were claiming that 3G would end on 12/31/20 (after already having postponed it from 12/31/19).

I was thinking of having both numbers on the iPhone.

I went to both stores on the same day.

I can’t remember which carrier prohibits it. I might have posted the details somewhere in this section at the time (this was almost exactly a year ago), but either Verizon or AT&T won’t do e-SIM on Prepaid.

I ended up putting the iPhone on the Verizon number (still there, bleeding down my credit balance to zero by April on a monthly plan), and putting the AT&T sim back on the old pre iPhone cheap ZTE. Then, the month after that, i bought the LG and put that AT&T SIM in the LG. Then, 10 or so months later (last month or earlier this month ?), I converted the $2 per day plan to a monthly Prepaid data plan to bleed my AT&T credit balance down to zero at about the same time (April/May of 2022).

Old 11-21-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Some carriers won’t do eSIM on specific types of plans.
I don't disagree with that statement. As I mentioned in my post, I currently use T-Mobile and confirmed the capability through their online chat and seeing the option available on my own phone. I certainly never suggested it will be available on all carriers (prepaid or postpaid). Just shared my own experience for those who might be using T-Mobile and wanted to use an eSIM. Have a good day.

Old 11-22-2021, 12:28 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I don't disagree with that statement. As I mentioned in my post, I currently use T-Mobile and confirmed the capability through their online chat and seeing the option available on my own phone. I certainly never suggested it will be available on all carriers (prepaid or postpaid). Just shared my own experience for those who might be using T-Mobile and wanted to use an eSIM. Have a good day.
I wasn't meaning to say that you did.

I was just offering additional information .

Old 11-22-2021, 06:36 AM

OK, no problems then. Sorry if I misinterpreted your comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones