Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2021, 07:26 AM

555 posts, read 1,074,079 times

Advertisements

I have posted here before about my experience with the Sprint/T Mobile merger. Namely the fact that I purchased an unlocked Google Pixel 4, and while Sprint allowed activation on their network, they will not allow it to be placed on the T Mobile network. I was basically told that once the Sprint network is shut down in December, that phone will no longer work, and can't be moved to T Mobile. Or more accurately, it can only be moved to T Mobile if I migrate my entire Sprint account (billing) to T Mobile, which would involved paying off an IPhone I have leased through Sprint.

The latest effect I discovered involves international data roaming. Sprint allowed customers to roam internationally without restrictions, albeit at slow data speeds. T Mobile will shut your international roaming off however if "more than 50% of your voice and/or data usage being Off-Net (i.e., connected to another provider’s network) for any 2 billing cycles within any 12-month period". I can certainly understand why they do it. It would not effect most international travelers, but my wife has been affected by it. She is on an extended trip back home, and has been there for 2 months. Her data stopped working, and we were trying to figure out why. I dug into the T Mobile terms and conditions and found this.

It does make me ponder, as a Sprint customer (billing system), am I subject to Sprint's terms and conditions, or T Mobile's terms and conditions? My guess is I am subject to both, even though I don't remember ever agreeing to T-Mobile's terms and conditions, not that I would have read all the fine print anyway.

Anyway, just ranting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 04:20 PM

19,737 posts, read 10,173,766 times
There are two kinds of phone setups. CDMA and GSM. CDMA is an older slower system and as of the merger in December, Verizon will be the only one still using CDMA. As I understand it, Sprint was using CDMA and T Mobile GSM.

Old 11-27-2021, 07:12 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,618,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
There are two kinds of phone setups. CDMA and GSM. CDMA is an older slower system and as of the merger in December, Verizon will be the only one still using CDMA. As I understand it, Sprint was using CDMA and T Mobile GSM.

And Verizon is, after the shutdown date having been a moving target for the last 2 years, and 3 1/2 years since they stopped activating 3G only devices (which I know from personal experience), committing to a hard shutdown of 12/31/22.

AT&T was previously saying April of '22 (from AT&T messages I was getting) re the 3G shutdown, and they are now saying February of '22.

T-Mobile is trying for 1/1/22, but some think that will cause issues re New Years Day content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones