Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2021, 09:31 AM

712 posts, read 557,974 times

Advertisements

My sister has hearing aids that require a smartphone to adjust the volume and sound. She needed a new phone since LG didn't have the app as they have been discontinued. She bought a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G and comparing it to her previous LG she is extremely disappointed in this phone. The battery life for one thing.

Is there an alternative smartphone (with Verizon) that is similar to her LG?
I am no help because I am an Apple person and I just don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 09:55 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,666,521 times
How are her hearing aids connected to her cell phone? Are they online somehow? If not then why would the cell phone need to be an active one. Couldnt any cell phone running her remote control app work offline without a cell account. Its basically just acting like an overpriced remote control far as adjusting settings, though it might also monitor and phone home???

I was curious, so took quick search. It seems they control in one of two ways, they either pair via bluetooth or they emit tones the hearing aid detects to change settings. Not sure why either would need a cell phone account? I just did quick search so might be some other methods these apps interact with hearing aid? Oh depending on manufacturer there are both Android and iOS apps. Would think most hearing aid manufacturers would offer both so as to not inconvenience their customers.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
How are her hearing aids connected to her cell phone? Are they online somehow? If not then why would the cell phone need to be an active one. Couldnt any cell phone running her remote control app work offline without a cell account. Its basically just acting like an overpriced remote control far as adjusting settings, though it might also monitor and phone home???

I was curious, so took quick search. It seems they control in one of two ways, they either pair via bluetooth or they emit tones the hearing aid detects to change settings. Not sure why either would need a cell phone account? I just did quick search so might be some other methods these apps interact with hearing aid? Oh depending on manufacturer there are both Android and iOS apps. Would think most hearing aid manufacturers would offer both so as to not inconvenience their customers.
They are costco, I gave her my old iPhone se to use but she didn't want two devices. SRexton. Costco hearing aids have been dominating the market in recent years. ... The hearing aids can connect wirelessly to smartphones and Bluetooth-compatible devices for hands-free calling and TV streaming.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:33 PM

1,118 posts, read 663,873 times
I liked LG phones with the power and volume on the back for that reason alone. Would be helpful to know exactly what she didn't like. Did you get her a case? Changes the whole look and ergonomics of the phone.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
I liked LG phones with the power and volume on the back for that reason alone. Would be helpful to know exactly what she didn't like. Did you get her a case? Changes the whole look and ergonomics of the phone.
She loves and misses her LG phone. She said there are things she dislikes about the Samsung so much. So I was looking to see if there is another phone similar to the LG. I don't think it is the looks as much as how it handles.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
She loves and misses her LG phone. She said there are things she dislikes about the Samsung so much. So I was looking to see if there is another phone similar to the LG. I don't think it is the looks as much as how it handles.
Again, case or no case? Did she have a case on the LG and no case on the Samsung? It changes how the phone handles. What doesn't she like about how it handles? I think better details will get you better answers.

Last edited by akrausz; 12-11-2021 at 07:28 AM..

Old 12-11-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Again, case or no case? Did she have a case on the LG and no case on the Samsung? It changes how the phone handles. What doesn't she like about how it handles? I think better details will get you better answers.
She had a case on her LG and didn't have a case on her Samsung when she first got it and does now and it handles the same. Here a couple of things she dislikes about it.

Sound (tinny sounding)
Connection (dropped calls)

Old 12-11-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
She had a case on her LG and didn't have a case on her Samsung when she first got it and does now and it handles the same. Here a couple of things she dislikes about it.

Sound (tinny sounding)
Connection (dropped calls)
Okay those are not handling issues. In your first post you say the phone is used to adjust sound, nothing more. Then in a subsequent post you say the hearing aids are connected to the phone for calls. Which is it? Is the phone sending the sound to the hearing aid via Bluetooth during a call?

Last edited by akrausz; 12-11-2021 at 08:41 AM..

Old 12-12-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Okay those are not handling issues. In your first post you say the phone is used to adjust sound, nothing more. Then in a subsequent post you say the hearing aids are connected to the phone for calls. Which is it? Is the phone sending the sound to the hearing aid via Bluetooth during a call?
Not just adjusting sound but talking on the phone hands-free. She actually HATES this phone and not just that issue. She hates pretty much how it handles as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones