Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 12:31 PM

16,581 posts, read 19,788,610 times

Advertisements

Yep. When we travel, we have to make sure to pack Momma's iPhone charger. Literally every other device the family has uses USB-C (including...Momma's iPad). Annoying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 07:23 AM

43,413 posts, read 77,348,122 times
Some smart person here on CD recommended not routinely charging your battery to 100% to maintain good battery health.
Well over a year ago, I installed an app called "AccuBattery" on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. Android, of course, so not terribly applicable.
I have it set to only charge to 85%, only discharge to 15%.
While that seems limiting, my Battery Health is 99%, and Estimated Capacity is 4809mAh vs. a Design Capacity of 4855mAh. So, I only recharge about every 24 hours and nearly never shutdown due to battery below 15%.

I have almost no iPhone experience, and I cannot see or recommend a similar app for iPhone.
But, I sure like it on my Android phone.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:04 PM

6,502 posts, read 10,414,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have set it to only charge to 85%.
With the latest Samsung UI 6.1 update, the default is now 80% charging. I am using the Galaxy S23 Ultra.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:15 PM

43,413 posts, read 77,348,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
With the latest Samsung UI 6.1 update, the default is now 80% charging. I am using the Galaxy S23 Ultra.
Well....
This prompted me to check my UI version, and now installing 6.1.
I guess I will have to check the charging upper and lower limits. I'm happy with the 99% battery life for a phone from 2022.

Old 04-19-2024, 02:32 AM

33,328 posts, read 12,634,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
How do you foresee any of that (buying a phone with the older charging port and missing the features of a new phone) affecting your life?
I waited to get an iPad until June of 2019 because of three things coming together.......

1. The 3rd Gen iPad Pro (came out in 2018) was the first iPad with USB-C as the connecting port rather than the Lightning port.
2. There was speculation online, but the 'reality' of iOS13/iPadOS13 became known to the public at the WWDC in June of 2019.
3. The Hyperdrive 9-in-1 USB-C hub became available in June of 2019: https://www.amazon.com/HyperDrive-Ad...386614289&th=1

The Hyperdrive 9-in-1 has been a 'Swiss army knife' as a device (among other things, it allows/has power delivery, so 'all the ports will work').

iOS13/iPadOS13 version of iOS opened up the iOS system to so many connections and devices....more like a computer.

Not only does the Hyperdrive 9-in-1 work with my iPad Pros, it also works with the 15.6" HP Spectre Laptop I already had.....and....in 2020....I found (on the ACE Hardware site of all places) a USB-A male to USB-C female adapter for about $12 (and had it sent to the store in Cayce, SC (I was visiting SC)), so....after I received that adapter....it also works with my Early 2015 (purchased in 2016 new, but the 'Apple Year naming' is 'Early 2015') MacBook Air (which I, in early 2023, IIRC re the timeframe, upgraded to a 2TB SSD from the original 128GB). I bought a 15.6" 2022 Galaxy Book 2 pro 260 (Windows 11) in late 2022, and it works with that as well.

In 2020 I Purchased a new iPhone 2020 SE. As noted with the above ^^^^^, I had an idea of how iOS13 and later could be used in ways that weren't available with previous iOS versions.

This was one of the videos four years ago that let me know some of what would work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xwzc-UdG5g

As noted in the video, the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...c9b0d672778104
is needed (plugged into a Lightning ported iPhone like my 2020 SE or, as in the video, an iPhone 7) to be able to utilize a number of the features. I purchased that adapter, and have put it to good use.

The iPhone moving to a 'native/internal/on device USB-C port (rather than Lightning), as well as more power being available from the phone itself, has allowed some steps, devices, and cables (re using some of the many external devices) to be eliminated. Many differences can be seen via watching the video I included above, and then watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eHhn2LT9BY

^^^^^ (The video owner has his settings set so that the video will only play on YouTube, so clicking on the link to YouTube I provided pulls up the video on YouTube, and the video will play)

The iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max also allow USB 3.0 transfer speeds from their USB-C ports. The other iPhone 15 models allow USB 2.0 transfer speeds from their USB-C ports.

Last edited by RMESMH; 04-19-2024 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: added description of MacBook Air upgrade

Old 04-22-2024, 07:49 AM

16,581 posts, read 19,788,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
2. There was speculation online, but the 'reality' of iOS13/iPadOS13 became known to the public at the WWDC in June of 2019.

That's no reason to wait though as you know it would have come to the prior ipad too. One thing Apple is serious about. SO MANY devices get the latest OS. The one thing I love about iOS.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:53 PM

1,052 posts, read 587,334 times
iPhones are the last phone I would buy, and not just for the high price of a battery. My Androids will go 3-6 years on a cheap battery. Everyone I know w/ an iPhone has nothing but trouble w/ them, the whole thing seems designed to be as complicated as they can make them for no good reason.

So I don't think the problem is batteries, the problem is the maker of phones.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:25 AM

6,502 posts, read 10,414,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
So I don't think the problem is batteries, the problem is the maker of phones.
Keep in mind that the iPhone made text messaging more mainstream when it was introduced. Nowadays, it is the norm for virtually every phone make/model. Back in 1997, text messaging was limited to text strictly and MMS (picture messaging was not) until the iPhone. I know MMS did exist before the iPhone; it was very limited back then. In addition, streaming video wasn't a thing. GPS was limited to select devices. Applications were extremely limited and not in the millions like they are today. The point of this is that when phones truly evolved, the battery demands grew faster than the original battery technology and not a conspiracy of the phone manufacturers. The demands on batteries were driven by the consumer instead. Pick your battles more carefully with who you blame.

Sorry, but your assumptions about cell phone batteries are incorrect/flawed. Yes, we have gone from the older NiCad batteries to the current Lithium based batteries but I suspect most of us will see another revolution in battery technology in our lifetimes.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:00 AM

1,124 posts, read 665,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
...the whole thing seems designed to be as complicated as they can make them for no good reason.
I know a good reason. Manufacturers wouldn't sell as many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
...not a conspiracy of the phone manufacturers. The demands on batteries were driven by the consumer instead.
To expand on that, a phone has multiple camera lenses and 4 radios (FM would be the 5th if people still used it). Those radios communicate with cell towers, wi-fi access points, bluetooth devices and spacecrafts orbiting the planet. If a phone didn't do all those "complicated" things, I wouldn't buy it because I use it all.

Last edited by akrausz; 05-11-2024 at 10:22 AM..

Old 05-12-2024, 04:08 AM

474 posts, read 473,551 times
I have a 7 year old Samsung phone that has a replaceable battery. The phone has worked well until recently. I've replaced the battery once in 7 years. I would like to get a new Samsung phone with a replaceable battery but they are not available in the USA. Europe has them and I just read that by 2028 all phones sold in Europe will be required to have a replaceable battery. I haven't heard of this trend happening here in the US. There aren't many phones sold in the US that have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones