Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:10 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
Your best option is an iPod Touch.
I bought an iPod Touch for exactly this reason. I needed to replace my old Palm Vx organizer but didn't want to pay for the AT&T data plan. I have an AT&T Go Phone that is only costing me $100 a year for what little cell phone needs I have, so have no desire to get an expensive phone plan.

If you buy the 32 GB iPod Touch it comes with a set of headphones that include a microphone which can be used for wifi phone calls. See this article about how an iPod Touch can be a low cost wireless iPhone. Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com (http://www.statesman.com/search/content/business/stories/technology/03/23/0323review.html - broken link)

Another option is to buy a used or new iPhone with NO service plan on E-Bay, and use its phone only via wifi connections.

Advantages of the iPhone over the iPod Touch is the iPhone comes with a camera built in and GPS, which the iPod Touch does not have.

There are rumors that a future model of the iPod Touch will include a camera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 27,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun330 View Post
You can use any wi-fi capable phone from t-mobile for wi-fi without the data package as long as a free wi-fi source is available. However, if you want to buy a blackberry phone and use it only with wi-fi and not a data package then you will have to buy one on ebay branded to t-mobile or unlocked from Rogers, Fido or AT&T networks and put your sim card into it. T-mobile now requires 2 years worth of data on all of their wi-fi/data capable phones because too many people were buying them for hot spot use only. They get kickbacks from blackberry if they sell the data packages.
I am having the same problem. I purchased a wifi capable smartphone from ebay (a T-mobile phone) and then purchased a sim card and voice plan from T-mobile. The phone is detecting the wifi signal but everything I try to access says "unsupported." I can't connect to anything. T-mobile told me it would work. I wonder if I should have had it unlocked? Maybe it's trying to only access tmobile hotspots? I just want to connect to internet! Has anyone resolved this problem?

Old 10-31-2010, 03:14 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times
If you have a Wi-Fi capable phone, and are in a HotSpot, you have to have the HotSpot service activated with T-Mobile (which I think runs around $20/month). If you have a Wi-Fi setup at home, you can do this without the HotSpot. There are alot of other places that offer "free" wi-fi browsing that shouldn't require the "HotSpot".

As far as getting Wi-Fi without a data contract, you have to buy a phone thats not contracted (like from eBay, Craigslist, etc). I am grandfathered in on my old T-Zones $5.99 plan, and use a BlackBerry 9700 phone I bought from Craigslist (also have an HD2 I got a good deal on from someone that I use with the Android Modification). My 3G and Wi-Fi work great.

Ian

Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Blackberry Curve 8320 has built in WiFi, so you can just use it at hotspots without getting a data package. You're obviously not getting the full use out of your phone but it will do exactly what you want it to.
I have an older blackberry w/ wifi that i no longer use. You can't get online without a data package because your traffic, regardless of whether you're on the cell network or wifi, has to be routed through the BIS. If you don't have a data package registered with the network, the BIS will not give you access.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:31 PM

8 posts, read 40,709 times
Cell phones with WIFI, no data plan required on Page Plus – and more – ChristopherKois.Com

This is an interesting take on the idea. Apparently lots of us are a bit resentful of paying for a "data plan". personally I am already paying $600 a year to access the internet. and personally, when I'm not at home accessing the wifi I just finished paying for, I couldn't care less Whose wifi it is I'm using, it certainly doesn't have to be provided by T-Mobile (and they know it, and they could make the phone work for unlimited wifi access but they choke it off to get you to pay for their plan. They're all a bunch of manipulative thieves, IMHO.)

I'm currently mulling over an ipod-touch but as someone else pointed out, i don't especially want to carry a second device and I'm not that thrilled about paying $200 plus for a device I might need once every six months.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:30 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
Is that possible?
I just want to be able to connect to WiFi hot spots to get Internet access on the phone. And I do not want to pay for 3G.

Do I have to get a smartphone for this?

There is very limited information on the web on the topic, so I'm hoping for some inspiration here.
I don't know if you can do this now. But about six years ago I signed up for an AT&T prepaid plan. The plan I signed up for is no longer available but they have other pre-paid plans. I was able to use my SIM card on a variety of phones approved for the AT&T network including an HTC 8925 more commonly known as a the AT&T Tilt. This phone has Wi-Fi capability. I was able to utilize this capability and also access AT&T's 3G network.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:16 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
From what I've read, you can put a GoPhone (AT&T prepaid) sim into an AT&T locked iPhone and it will work. The only trick is that the iPhone and GoPhone need to have been activated prior to the sim swap. So you could buy a cheap used locked iPhone on Craigslist, then buy a GoPhone and activate it, and then move the GoPhone sim into the iPhone and have an iPhone running on a prepaid plan, with no data. I also read this doesn't work with postpaid plans as AT&T will automatically add a data plan when it detects an iPhone on a postpaid plan on its network.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
You can use any smartphone (iPhone, what ever...) to use WIFI hot spots, which in turn save you a lot of cash if you don't have unlimited service, but you still need service for the rest of the time

If you just want to make calls, or text (for example) and don't want a service provider, then you can use a late generation iPod Touch or iPad to do these things. Apple provided the right app for this purpose with their latest iPod and iPad. But there are other apps available for it out there.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 33,364 times
my daughter has an iphone on a go phone plan and has access to wifi when she is in range. i pay 25.00 a month for 250 minutes and unlimited texting.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:23 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
Unfortunately, I like some of the features of the smartphones. Even if it's 10 bucks per month for data, I do not want to pay it as I would be using FREE WiFi hotspots. But I have the feeling that it is impossible to get a smartphone without paying for the data plan.

Here's a question: can you buy an iPhone without 3G (but wifi capable)?

If no one has said this yet;
If you buy a phone at ebay or something that is not activated, you can have a smart phone without data plan. but you can not use the phone as a phone.

I have an old iphone out of contract with AT&T. I gave it to my dd to use. When I decided that she was reponsible enough to use out of the house, I thought I could activate the phone to use as a straight phone and disable it for data use unless wifi.

It did not matter. At&T realized that I had a smart phone activated and they put a data plan on my account automatically.

So you can if you don't use your smartphone as a phone to receive calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones