Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:46 AM

478 posts, read 1,656,786 times

Advertisements

For those of you who are relocating, I pray you never need to know this info, but just in case.

IF you allow someone to stay ONE night in your home, and then you ask that person to leave. That person has the right to reside in your home, until you legally evict them. If that person leaves and leaves their belongings there - they are still considered a resident of your home. IF you want to evict them - you HAVE to know where they are so they can serve them with the eviction notice. IF you find out where they are and it's in a different county - you're screwed, because they won't serve outside of the county you reside in... You cannot LEGALLY dispose of their items until you've LEGALLY evicted them.

I don't know if this makes sense - but basically IF you let anyone spend the night at your house, and they refuse to leave, you HAVE to legally evict them. UNBELIEVABLE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:01 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
that is not just a SC law, also in NC.......

It's not a stupid law, time consuming and can be frustrating yes. But stupid no.....

Good luck !

Old 08-13-2010, 08:15 AM

I don't think I said stupid - I said crazy.

I think it is crazy - in order to dispose on someone's belongings - you have to evict them, even though they don't live with you any more. But you can't evict them because they live in a different county than where you reside, and the Magistrates office won't serve outside of their county. So unless they live in your county - you're screwed. You can't evict them, you can't legally dispose of their items, and IF you do they can sue you for the value of those items.

Sorry in my book that's crazy.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:23 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
You have to go to the county that they live in to do the eviction...

Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Sorry things didn't work out with your roommate. For more crazy laws across the country, check this site: Dumb Laws, Stupid Laws: We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
You have to go to the county that they live in to do the eviction...
OTC - wrong, Charleston County told us the paperwork has to be filed in the county in which we reside, Dorchester County, because that is the residence in which he is being evicted from.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
OTC - wrong, Charleston County told us the paperwork has to be filed in the county in which we reside, Dorchester County, because that is the residence in which he is being evicted from.

that doesn't go with what you said previously...
if they don't serve outside of the county where the residence is, then
why would they have you file for the eviction in a county in which they
will do nothing with the papers drawn up?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 PM

131 posts, read 348,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
that doesn't go with what you said previously...
if they don't serve outside of the county where the residence is, then
why would they have you file for the eviction in a county in which they
will do nothing with the papers drawn up?
What the OP is saying is-the bum who is sqatting in his home, is legally from another county so the OP's county isnt doing anything. The county that the squatter is in won't do anything either because of that fact.

OP- maybe you should speak to some one else- I think Oletomcat is correct. Try back again and maybe you can get someone else who can give more information. I refuse to believe that you will be between 2 counties who won't do anything.

The fact that North Carolina has this law doesn't make it any bettr, it still sounds stupid (there I said it!). The fact that this can happen after ONE NIGHT is nuts.

On the other hand, I'm sure there is more to this story sir!

Are you trying to kick out your pregnant wife or something ?!! (jk)

Last edited by carolinagirl1; 08-17-2010 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-18-2010, 08:51 AM

No one said that because had the law on the books it was any better. The point was that it is a common law. It is designed to protect tenants from being evicted for whatever reason or no reason at all. And like it or not there is in fact a place for this type of law.

With that said, something isn't adding up, as you said there is more to this story. The OP said that in order to evict someone you must know where they are. Well if you want to evict someone from your home, then you should know where they are otherwise you wouldn't want to evict them. If they aren't in your home, then pack up their things and send them to their address they gave you, ie: drivers license. IF they are residing in the home currently then you simply go to the magistrate and start the eviction process, it isn't rocket science.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:24 PM

7 posts, read 66,510 times
OMG That is crazy!!!Thanks for the post,I am moving in a year or so down their from Ohio and I am so glad I know that.No one is ever staying with me!! lol Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: