Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:32 AM

54 posts, read 63,598 times

Advertisements

It depends on where you are moving from as to how bad you think the traffic is! My fiancé has lived in Charleston for years and thinks traffic is horrible to/from the same work and home area's you are looking. I on the other hand having moved from the Charlotte area find the traffic to be heavy but not nearly as bad as what Charlotte traffic is and it definitely isn't anywhere close to DC traffic from when I lived there.

Not to down play the traffic in west Ashley, it can be a royal pain in the ___ but its all how you look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMJLive View Post
Hi Manur,

I'm currently in the same boat as you were last year. I'm moving to Charleston in 1 month, and I'm looking for a place to live. It seems most of the properties of interest (mainly based on availability) are in the outer West Ashley area around Bees Ferry Road and Glenn McConnell Pkwy. The Avenues at Verdier Pointe is also at the top of my list, but I'm concerned about traffic during rush hour. I'll be commuting to James Island for work. Do you mind telling me where you decided to live? And if you chose the Avenues at Verdier Pointe, how is the rush hour traffic in the area?

Many thanks!
If youre going to be working on James Island ....I see no reason not to live on James Island....The commute from outer West Ashley can be difficult ( but certainly not like Atlanta)...but will also become more difficult over the next several years given the development plans for that area ....james Island is a great place to live ... not without traffic tho ... but close to the city and the beach ..

Others on here can give you some solid recommendations on specific places on the island to consider.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:37 AM

657 posts, read 739,185 times
I second Cynic1, if you are going to be working on JI, might as well live there. There are nice apartments behind the Lowes, as well as near the Publix, and behind the movie theater. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I have actually been to.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:13 AM

3,865 posts, read 4,601,443 times
x3
Not sure what you mean by "based on availability" but I think there should be something you could find on James Isl

Old 05-11-2015, 12:24 PM

397 posts, read 1,071,887 times
I live on Daniel Island, and although older there is a great fun vibe here and it will only get better as they are in the midst of building another huge rental complex (in addition to Greystar one) and rental apartment complexes always bring in a younger set of people....walking distance to restaurants and bars is a huge urban/suburban feel to it, plus there is always action (concerts, etc). And, its right off 526 so very easy access anywhere. To me, IMO, 61 and Bees Ferry is WAY out there....

Old 05-11-2015, 01:17 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresejenkins View Post
I live on Daniel Island, and although older there is a great fun vibe here and it will only get better as they are in the midst of building another huge rental complex (in addition to Greystar one) and rental apartment complexes always bring in a younger set of people....walking distance to restaurants and bars is a huge urban/suburban feel to it, plus there is always action (concerts, etc). And, its right off 526 so very easy access anywhere. To me, IMO, 61 and Bees Ferry is WAY out there....
I do agree especially with your last sentence ... lol ... and think Daniel is a great place to live at any age... but living on Daniel and working on James means having to get thru half of Mount Pleasant on 17 then the crosstown to get to James Island ...it just doesn't make sense when you have good local James Island options ... or even downtown options if the op can handle the costs...

Old 05-11-2015, 04:18 PM

3,865 posts, read 4,601,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
I do agree especially with your last sentence ... lol ... and think Daniel is a great place to live at any age... but living on Daniel and working on James means having to get thru half of Mount Pleasant on 17 then the crosstown to get to James Island ...it just doesn't make sense when you have good local James Island options ... or even downtown options if the op can handle the costs...
This is definitely true. Farther out West Ashley is about the same distance from James Island as Daniel Island is. Either way will involve a frowny face while driving through traffic in rush hour. If you can find what you need on James Island (probably) then you're better off there unless there's another reason to choose elsewhere that you haven't mentioned.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:40 PM

33 posts, read 37,612 times
Sure, I ended up at abberly at west ashley. It's a nice complex and I'm happy with it, though I'll be moving on in a few months when I find a new place. I can't really speak to the traffic going in the james island direction. I commute the opposite way, though from what I can see there is quite a bit of congestion on glenn mcconnell. Maybe someone else can chime in about the traffic going towards james island?

You also might want to look into living in james island itself. It seems like a nice place, close to downtown, no more expensive than west ashley and maybe even cheaper (dunno). Let me know if you have other questions, and good luck!

Old 05-11-2015, 06:33 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMJLive View Post
Hi Manur,

I'm currently in the same boat as you were last year. I'm moving to Charleston in 1 month, and I'm looking for a place to live. It seems most of the properties of interest (mainly based on availability) are in the outer West Ashley area around Bees Ferry Road and Glenn McConnell Pkwy. The Avenues at Verdier Pointe is also at the top of my list, but I'm concerned about traffic during rush hour. I'll be commuting to James Island for work. Do you mind telling me where you decided to live? And if you chose the Avenues at Verdier Pointe, how is the rush hour traffic in the area?

Many thanks!
I'm not Manur but I live very close to those apartments. I run by them almost every day and it looks like a nice complex. There's no traffic light there, so it would be difficult to make a left turn. Bees Ferry Apartments are located on Proximity Drive which has a traffic light at that intersection.

Rush hour traffic on Bees Ferry is not horrible now that the road is wider, but Glenn McConnell backs up pretty badly in the morning, especially in the area between Bees Ferry Rd. and West Ashley High School.

On Glenn Mac, once you get to Magwood Blvd, where the road becomes 3 lanes, and past 526, it's usually smooth sailing.

Also, rush hour here really only lasts a little over an hour. If you have a job with flexible hours (or say, enjoy going to the gym before work or happy hour after work), you can avoid a lot of the backup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area