Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 02:14 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Yes, I read up on it last night. I'd love to see all of those operations first hand. Just a desire to be educated!

http://www.asbpa.org/publications/fa...rimerASBPA.pdf

Found that. And this:

http://www.sac.usace.army.mil/Missio...urishment.aspx
We spoke with some of the guys working there..very nice and told us alot about what they were doing. The huge star wars looking contraption was fascinating to watch while they mapped the ocean floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 03:34 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,638,598 times
Just call the Folly pier and ask them.........(843) 588-3474

Old 05-21-2014, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,128 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cgCUv-siac
Here is a video from this weekend over Folly

Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 AM

142 posts, read 270,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
you seem to be the only one to know "why" ... even the marine biologist don't have an answer

it is gorgeous!! and I'll be out in my boat tomorrow in it to see what it looks like when you are actually in it...

all of the sand at Folly is just piped in from about 3 miles out, not brought in from the tropics...

it's a dredging company doing the re nourishment with pipes pulling and dumping over n over...
Calcium carbonate is basically lime, a lot of the the sand offshore is heavy in lime. That's causing the clear water, that and the streak of little rain/wind.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:32 AM

10 posts, read 14,137 times
What does the water usually look like in South Carolina? I have been to Myrtle Beach and the water was a nice clear green/blue (offshore). I have always thought Isle of Palms and Kiawah had nice green/blue water, but I just assumed that.

I was at Edisto Island back in the 1990's and the water was a real nice green inshore and deep blue offshore. The winds were light and coming from the ocean. I think that blows clear water from offshore onto the beach.

Check out this travel blog from Hilton Head Island. The water in the photos looks very nice clear green.

Day at Hilton Head - Hilton Head, United States Travel Blog

How is the water normally at Hilton Head? I would love to go there.

I was recently in New Orleans and Gulf Shores, AL. The water at Gulf Shores was really blue.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:43 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Can this happen again? ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area