Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 06:22 AM

4 posts, read 3,745 times

Advertisements

I've been reading posts on moving to Charleston for a while and find all of the information very helpful. I'm moving from Wellesley, Massachusetts to retire in the Charleston area (who isnt??). I'm traveling to Mt. Pleasant in April for the 3rd time to look at neighborhoods. $425k is my max - I 'm hoping to avoid the feel of a development, with rows and rows of cars in driveways and no landscaping. I just need 3 bedrooms and would like a small yard. 1/2 hour or less to the beach. I don't think I can afford the upscale neighborhoods like ION, but neighborhood is very important to me. I'm 63, female. Any suggestions where I should look. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 04:40 AM

859 posts, read 1,363,382 times
I'd first of all choose a realtor who knows what's available in what you're looking for and can save you some wasted time just traveling around on your own.

For specific developments, look at Snee Farm and Brickyard; both more established developments, and in the price range you're looking for. Be prepared to do a bit of remodeling in either of these developments, as they're both older.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
I'd first of all choose a realtor who knows what's available in what you're looking for and can save you some wasted time just traveling around on your own.

For specific developments, look at Snee Farm and Brickyard; both more established developments, and in the price range you're looking for. Be prepared to do a bit of remodeling in either of these developments, as they're both older.
Local joke was the first thing one moved into a house in Snee Farm was a dumpster. Lovely area , great location, highly recommended area, close to every amenity one could want, less then 1/2 hour to the beach, but many homes there are in need of renovation. There are all size homes in Snee Farm but many of the newer ones are smaller and an ideal size for a single person.

There is a development named West Point located off Rifle Range Rd at the IOP Connector in MTP. Well built, smaller, older homes, well kept neighborhood, and a great location. Well worth looking at. Even closer to the beach. One could ride a bike to the Beach at IOP.

Both neighborhoods are as safe as being in church.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:14 AM

Thank you both. I've been to Brick Yard but not Snee Farm or West Point. I will be with a broker during my visit and wanted to narrow down the search. Any additional thoughts will be most appreciated.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:26 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venice56 View Post
Thank you both. I've been to Brick Yard but not Snee Farm or West Point. I will be with a broker during my visit and wanted to narrow down the search. Any additional thoughts will be most appreciated.
When I think Brickyard I think lovely, larger, multi member family, multi-story type homes. I do not think smaller, easy to care for, maybe a single floor layout such as a single person/couple type homes. There is another smaller HOA out Rte 41 called Planters Point. They have some smaller, reasonable cost homes there. It is a very well run HOA.

Some say the traffic can be tough out Rte 41 and in north MTP but the traffic in MTP/Charleston is sissy traffic compared to traffic in the northeast. Being retired allows one to do their whatever (shopping, doctors, etc.) during non-rush hour thus traffic becomes even less of a factor.

One thing you will want to do. Is study up on Home Owner Association's (HOA's). All the areas mentioned have an HOA. All HOA's are not alike in rules and cost. There will be a monthly HOA fee (often called a Regime Fee) and they can vary depending on what is included.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:25 PM

Thanks Johngolf. I must say it is a bit overwhelming because there are so many areas and so many communities within the areas. I have a month to narrow down the universe before I meet with the broker.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:30 PM

Hi again. I visited Mt Pleasant and saw a number of homes. Difficult to remember what was where now that i'm back home. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Wando area in Charleston. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: