Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:39 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,306,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eire1979 View Post
I'm curious about the Christ Our King church. Any of you go there? So many questions...

There are lots of mass times. Does each mass time have a different vibe? For example, in the church I grew up in, to 5:30pm Saturday vigil was folksy with people in jeans and shorts; the 8:00am Sunday was an organ, no choir, and the elderly; the 10:00am Sunday was the most formal with a choir and people dressed nice, the noon was the one with the rambunctious kids, and the 6:00pm Sunday was the hodge podge of people who were like "Oh crap! I haven't gone to church yet!"

How's the sense of community? Are there lots of events/cookouts and stuff that lots of people participate in?

From the website, looks like there are two preachers: Reverend Monsignor James A. Carter and Reverend Maximino Tria. Do each of them give mass? (Does anyone else?) What are they like? More old-school latin-lovers or more informal? More fire-and-brimstone or more kumbaya?

Are all the masses really crowded? Do you need to get there early?

Any other major upsides/downsides I should know about?

Just for full disclosure, I haven't been to church in a while and the Mr. is not Catholic and I'm a total cafeteria Catholic. Will I feel like I'm going to hell or will I be one of many?

Thanks for any and all insight!
Been going to COk for 7 years now. Msgr. Carter is very socially aware (founder of History - ECCO (East Cooper Community Outreach) ) but comes off formal at times. Then he makes a joke (sometimes self-deprecating) and you're right back to being comfortable. He's a very intelligent man. We enjoy his wit and straight forward way of talking.

Fr. Max is a bit more a "man of the people." He likes to have his homilies be interactive with questions that are not necessarily rhetorical. Open & friendly -- shares stories of his brother a priest & his sister a nun in the Philippines.

COK is a tithing parish, that is, 10% of Sunday offerings are given to non-profits proposed by parishioners. We've nominated one & it has been an annual recipient. This tradition comes from Msgr. Carter's Baptist upbringing. He also doesn't believe in "second collections" or special collections. He asks for a just amount from parishioners and then leaves you alone to do so.

There's a huge amount of clubs, committees, ministries for you to join, with different levels of commitment of time. Serving in the community is stressed but at your own level of comfort. Msgr. Carter says if you can't find one that suits your interest, suggest what does for consideration.

Can't say much as to the young family involvement because we came here in our 50's. But there are many events published. And read up on the concept of the "Beach House" which replaced the Senior Center and Youth Group meeting spaces -- what a physical place to look at! The concept again comes from Msgr. Carter's life experience. He deemed it an "intergenerational space" for youth & seniors to meet Beach House at Christ Our King . Long list of things going on there too.

As far as the Masses, it is as you'd expect: many gray hairs at 6 pm Saturday & 7:30 am Sunday. Families
at 9:30 am with an internationally award winning choir (that we avoid because we don't care for the "high Mass" sound). Sunday 7 pm is a more casual Mass with a piano accompaniment that suits us fine.

As of the last 6 months or so the crowds have calmed down due to a new parish opening on Daniel Island. It truly has made a positive impact IMHO. COK is still a full house but nicely so.

Hope to see you there -- just give the "secret CD wave"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 10:45 AM

3,595 posts, read 4,375,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
All right, let's say that the education is equal, I would still choose a faith based education than a public one where liberal doctrine and questionable morality is the norm.
That is where I as a parent step in and do my job.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:05 AM

2,169 posts, read 3,146,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
That is where I as a parent step in and do my job.
Glad for you. I do to.

So by being a good parent, is it ok to take your kid to a strip joint? Your a good parent, right? So it shouldn't matter what else you expose them to.

I know that's an extreme example but the premise rings true. The public school system is loaded with promiscuity and liberal ideals and teachings. I just choose to limit my kids exposure to that kind of stuff at such an impressionable age.

I am in no way saying that all kids in public schools are bad influences. And I am in no way saying that you can't raise a decent kid in a public school. And in reverse, not all kids in faith based schools are angels. We do have our fair share of lazy parents that think just by putting their kid in Catholic school, they will become Angels by osmosis. Meanwhile, the parents live a lifestyle that is questionable.

I just choose to use our school to reinforce our values that we teach at home. Our public school system does not do this.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:24 PM

3,595 posts, read 4,375,897 times
YMMV

The challenges of public schools change with the children's age. I prefer to have our values enforced at home, church, and the friends we surround ourselves with. I have no issues with those that choose a faith based school. I just have an issue saying it's a superior way to educate a child.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:53 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,108,336 times
I don't know where people get the notion that public schools are so promiscuous or that liberal. Not my experience at all, not even at the high school level. I've had about 20 years experience with public schools in the south east. They rarely are very liberal or promiscuous. Trust me.

Has anyone found their public schools to be full of 'promiscuous ideas'.

If you are talking about the fact that the schools are aware of sex, drugs and rock and roll. I went to an all girls Catholic high school, taught by Felician nuns and we had sex, drugs and rock and roll. That stuff be happening everywhere.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:24 PM

As I said, to each his own. I just prefer a school where the education is equal or better than what is available and an environment where the peer pressure is similar to our family values. Not the opposite. A school where a prayer is encouraged, not punished and a school where you actually say the Pledge of Allegence every day. And I've found that to be the case in our Catholic schools. And like you said, you like to enforce your values at home and at Church. Well, our advantage is that our school IS our church.

Last edited by Iam4USC; 05-05-2015 at 02:40 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 03:04 PM

10 posts, read 10,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Been going to COk for 7 years now. Msgr. Carter is very socially aware (founder of History - ECCO (East Cooper Community Outreach) ) but comes off formal at times. Then he makes a joke (sometimes self-deprecating) and you're right back to being comfortable. He's a very intelligent man. We enjoy his wit and straight forward way of talking.

Fr. Max is a bit more a "man of the people." He likes to have his homilies be interactive with questions that are not necessarily rhetorical. Open & friendly -- shares stories of his brother a priest & his sister a nun in the Philippines.

COK is a tithing parish, that is, 10% of Sunday offerings are given to non-profits proposed by parishioners. We've nominated one & it has been an annual recipient. This tradition comes from Msgr. Carter's Baptist upbringing. He also doesn't believe in "second collections" or special collections. He asks for a just amount from parishioners and then leaves you alone to do so.

There's a huge amount of clubs, committees, ministries for you to join, with different levels of commitment of time. Serving in the community is stressed but at your own level of comfort. Msgr. Carter says if you can't find one that suits your interest, suggest what does for consideration.

Can't say much as to the young family involvement because we came here in our 50's. But there are many events published. And read up on the concept of the "Beach House" which replaced the Senior Center and Youth Group meeting spaces -- what a physical place to look at! The concept again comes from Msgr. Carter's life experience. He deemed it an "intergenerational space" for youth & seniors to meet Beach House at Christ Our King . Long list of things going on there too.

As far as the Masses, it is as you'd expect: many gray hairs at 6 pm Saturday & 7:30 am Sunday. Families
at 9:30 am with an internationally award winning choir (that we avoid because we don't care for the "high Mass" sound). Sunday 7 pm is a more casual Mass with a piano accompaniment that suits us fine.

As of the last 6 months or so the crowds have calmed down due to a new parish opening on Daniel Island. It truly has made a positive impact IMHO. COK is still a full house but nicely so.

Hope to see you there -- just give the "secret CD wave"!
Thanks so much for your answers, joyeaux! I'd seen about the beach house on the website and it sounds awesome. I know I would have loved that when I was a teen going to my youth group.

(To the rest, sorry - didn't mean to inadvertently set off a public vs. private school debate!)

Old 05-05-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eire1979 View Post
Thanks so much for your answers, joyeaux! I'd seen about the beach house on the website and it sounds awesome. I know I would have loved that when I was a teen going to my youth group.

(To the rest, sorry - didn't mean to inadvertently set off a public vs. private school debate!)
It's no problem. Everybody has their preference. Right now, you finding a church you are comfortable with is most important. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:12 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,306,785 times
I should add & caution you: this church congregation "dresses up" for each and every Mass. Msgr. Carter has even read to us a note of thanks he rec'd from a visitor that mention how well dressed & respectfully dressed the worshipers were. Jeans are a rarity at COK.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:05 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,721,744 times
I always did dress up for church not over one should
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: