Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 03:40 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktownTiger06 View Post
Thanks for the messages. I grew up in Goose Creek, lived in Summerville and West Ashley so I have familiarity with those places. Biggest thing I know will be a challenge is the commute, and the fact that prices are nuts, but hey, so are prices here. Closed on my house a year and a half ago and stand to make 253k from the sale. So fortunately a downpayment and avoiding PMI won't be an issue. Had a great Zoom interview so we'll see if this becomes more real.

Any info on the area on 61 near Beech Hill elementary?
That's a good area and Legend Oaks would be an example of a good neighborhood near Beech Hill but a rush hr commute into and back from downtown would be rough.

Actually Boyle Plantation is also out that way and is very nice with large houses and huge lots. Also more in your price point where as Legend Oaks is lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 09:38 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
That's a good area and Legend Oaks would be an example of a good neighborhood near Beech Hill but a rush hr commute into and back from downtown would be rough.

Actually Boyle Plantation is also out that way and is very nice with large houses and huge lots. Also more in your price point where as Legend Oaks is lower.
Legend Oaks has a gated area called The Club, larger lots, golf course lots and larger homes in there. Prices in The Club start at around $450k for ones that need a little updating.

Old 08-29-2021, 04:24 PM

40 posts, read 45,551 times
Well, got the job! Snagged up one of the last houses in Drayton Oaks up 61 near Summers Corner and Legend Oaks. Comes with a 1 yr membership to Legend Oaks golf, tennis and pool. The builder, Crescent homes, have been amazing. Have allowed us a ton of changes after the original buyers backed out of the contract due to a lumber increase. Not sure many, if any builders would be so accomodating. 9 out 10 rated Beech Hill, an OK commute to work, and new homes on wooded lots on a cul-de-sac was too much to pass up. I'm coming home!

Old 08-29-2021, 05:10 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
After you’ve been there a while, share how the commute is. I’m sure a lot of follow on folks would want to know.

Enjoy.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:23 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Chuck

Best wishes all around.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:35 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Congratulations! That's a nice area and growing with a rosy future!

Old 09-01-2021, 06:24 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktownTiger06 View Post
Well, got the job! Snagged up one of the last houses in Drayton Oaks up 61 near Summers Corner and Legend Oaks. Comes with a 1 yr membership to Legend Oaks golf, tennis and pool. The builder, Crescent homes, have been amazing. Have allowed us a ton of changes after the original buyers backed out of the contract due to a lumber increase. Not sure many, if any builders would be so accomodating. 9 out 10 rated Beech Hill, an OK commute to work, and new homes on wooded lots on a cul-de-sac was too much to pass up. I'm coming home!
Crescent is a great builder, you'll be happy with the lasting quality of their work. I consider them almost a semi-custom type builder, allowing you to make changes and they will certainly listen to your concerns and try to help. Congrats on your choice and welcome back!

Old 09-04-2021, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 5,592 times
Congrats! We live in Summers Corner, just up the road. This side of Summerville definitely has less growth than the Nexton area. DD2 schools were what drew us here too. Just wish the Publix would be built in our neighborhood, but that’s looking like a far fetched dream now. The Drayton Oak homes look nice. Used to commute downtown a few days a week, morning is ok, afternoon sucked (>1 hr).

Old 09-18-2021, 08:35 AM

51 posts, read 79,548 times
Default Where do you recommend living in Summerville?

Hello, I’m thinking of moving from Columbia to the Charleston area. I love the beaches, but I’m sure living in Summerville will be less expensive, but closer than where I’m at now. I’m looking for an apartment to start off with. I like new, safe and nice areas. For instance, a newer apartment in a safe neighborhood. I’m 57 and no children. Any particular areas that stick out, that I should look at? Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
With the OP saying "absolute must 8/9 rated schools" I think Mt Pleasant is the only fit across all school ages. You can argue about what those school ratings (ie: Greatschools.org) are worth, but I like to start a search using stated criteria. If that doesn't pan out, then it's time to start talking compromises.
I would echo this advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area