Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 01:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,449,135 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to find such a thing but my Google skills aren't turning up what I was hoping for - a simple map showing exactly the city borders for Charleston. Not the county, the actual CITY. I cannot tell which neighborhoods that are discussed are actually INSIDE Charleston - West Ashley, john's island, James island, mt pleasant, Daniel island, etc. It's even more confusing because parts of these areas are in the city and parts are not.

Any ideas or links?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 02:05 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,076,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I've been trying to find such a thing but my Google skills aren't turning up what I was hoping for - a simple map showing exactly the city borders for Charleston. Not the county, the actual CITY. I cannot tell which neighborhoods that are discussed are actually INSIDE Charleston - West Ashley, john's island, James island, mt pleasant, Daniel island, etc. It's even more confusing because parts of these areas are in the city and parts are not.

Any ideas or links?

ClCity_small.pdf (charleston-sc.gov)

Old 08-12-2021, 03:58 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,874,714 times
Thats crazy all the donut holes around

Old 08-12-2021, 07:44 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,449,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Thank you!!!

Amazing all of the gaps and holes, instead of simple straight lines.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:32 AM

12,967 posts, read 18,825,161 times
Quote:
Thank you!!!

Amazing all of the gaps and holes, instead of simple straight lines.
Yep, block by block, street by street in some areas. If one wants a vote for the mayor and city council for the city of Charleston, one must do their research before buying.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:57 AM

3,871 posts, read 4,615,081 times
Quote:

Any ideas or links?
It's so convoluted that even with the maps it's still hard to determine. I'm in the Town Of James Island but my neighbor across the street is in the City of Charleston. Most (but not all) of the street on the other side of the lake behind my house is also City but most of the neighborhood is in the Town. You often have to look up tax records for a given property or identify by the color of the trash can if you're already at the property. Some areas are worse than others. Mt Pleasant for instance is either all going to be Mt Pleasant or unincorporated county. There is nothing east of the Wando that is part of the City Of Charleston. The barrier islands are their own entities. I have found myself helping police determine whether a house is in the City or Town Of James Island before.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:20 AM

12,967 posts, read 18,825,161 times
And the town’s being named just James Island instead of naming it something that differentiates it from the city of Charleston part or the unincorporated county part creates a lot of confusion. I tell people I live in the city of Charleston on James Island or on James Island on the part that’s in the city of Charleston. I’m an on-er, not an in-er.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:57 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,445,483 times
It's funny, I live in the City of Charleston on Johns Island. The services are different such as police, trash/waste service, and I believe the tax is different too. It appears the nicer parts of the island's (James & Johns) are incorporated into the City of Charleston. As well, the services are nicer in the City incorporated area (some may disagree).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: