Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 03:50 PM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Anyway, if it were my mom, I would not advise her gathering with her vaccinated friends unless they all wore a mask or had it outdoors for everyone's safety.

Here's the latest CDC update (which is also what SC DHEC recommends). If you follow SC DHEC's Facebook page you can get regular updates.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-guidance.html
Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it.

Yeah, I just don't know how safe it is for mom to be in her home with guests even if all are vaccinated. I tell her my concerns but she doesn't seem too worried about it. I'm worried but she is going to do what she is going to do. It's not my place to tell her what to do. I told her I was surprised all the ladies were coming with as much as the variant was out spreading like crazy in our area. But if they all want to get together, hopefully they will at least wear a mask indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 07:06 PM

657 posts, read 738,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Well we certainly wouldn't have the # of cases and hospitalizations we have now if everyone would just wear a mask.
Yea that 10-20% protection would definitely solve it. Live your life.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:24 AM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
Yea that 10-20% protection would definitely solve it. Live your life.
There is so much conflicting information out there that one doesn't know what to believe.

One day, masks are helpful, the next day they've been proven not to be helpful and do no good, then it changes the next day to they are extremely helpful in not getting Covid. Who knows what to believe.

I have a feeling Covid will be around for a good while and we'll just have to accept it and you're right, we can't just live our lives being afraid. I'm not afraid for myself. I go on about my business but I do worry about my mom. I don't want her getting it so feel extra protective of her.

Old 09-06-2021, 11:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Overall guidelines masks help to mitigate the spread indoors in public spaces. The only studies being done trying to prove they aren't effective are done by outliers who don't think we should wear masks.

Masks will never ever stop the spread -- it will slow it down.

I am not always good about remembering a mask but have put them back in my car and will start to mask up indoors in public spaces.

Colleton schools went to total virtual last week because their were so many staff/kids sick and so many had to quarantine.

I suspect other school boards will follow suit eventually.

I would argue that entertaining in your home you should be okay if other people are vaccinated. Nothing is full proof but I suspect that the risk is not that high.

Our 7 day average three days ago was 5,000 cases a day -- it's down to 3,000 but let's see what happens in the next few weeks.

How many were at that game in Charlotte on Saturday?

Old 09-07-2021, 12:06 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times
Given the number of variables, it's very hard to prove that masks help or don't but most medical professionals seem to think they do help control the spread. For me, simple logic suggests that masks would help and I figure that for the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask in public spaces, why not? It certainly doesn't hurt to do so and with at least 4.5 million deaths globally it seems foolish not to do anything that might help.

Depending on the situation, I figure I'm seeing anywhere between 30% and 60% wearing masks out in public.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:43 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
My theory -- if masks and social distancing can slow the spread of flu and cold -- it might work with the virus....

Old 09-13-2021, 03:52 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Opinions please.

I usually get my yearly Flu shot in October. If the Covid 3rd shot is recommended at 8 months after your 2nd shot, I would be due for Pfizer 3rd shot in late October. Should I have concerns about both being so close? Would you recommend doing the Flu shot earlier? At 79, I am high risk.

Thanks
Probably something you should ask your doctor, but I wouldn’t worry about it. With the original shot, they didn’t know how some people would react, so they didn’t want any reaction to get blamed on the Covid shot and mess up their data. In boot camp I got probably 10 different shots within minutes of each other.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:01 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Opinions please.

I usually get my yearly Flu shot in October. If the Covid 3rd shot is recommended at 8 months after your 2nd shot, I would be due for Pfizer 3rd shot in late October. Should I have concerns about both being so close? Would you recommend doing the Flu shot earlier? At 79, I am high risk.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Probably something you should ask your doctor, but I wouldn’t worry about it. With the original shot, they didn’t know how some people would react, so they didn’t want any reaction to get blamed on the Covid shot and mess up their data. In boot camp I got probably 10 different shots within minutes of each other.

Moderna is actually working on a combination covid/flu shot.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...lu-2021-09-09/

Old 09-13-2021, 09:32 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
There is so much conflicting information out there that one doesn't know what to believe.

One day, masks are helpful, the next day they've been proven not to be helpful and do no good, then it changes the next day to they are extremely helpful in not getting Covid. Who knows what to believe.

I have a feeling Covid will be around for a good while and we'll just have to accept it and you're right, we can't just live our lives being afraid. I'm not afraid for myself. I go on about my business but I do worry about my mom. I don't want her getting it so feel extra protective of her.
We all were wiping down every surface multiple times a day for months. Spraying overpriced disinfectants like they were going out of style. Checklist for the checklist to cover employer’s azzes. We were told mask worked except if you’re a SJW and then you didn’t need it. Biker rallies were super spreaders but Freaknik 2020 dancing in the streets to anti-Trump music was just what we had to deal with.

Mask work if people weren’t stupid. There’s way too many stupid people including POTUS to believe any of them. Next time you see people wearing a mask below their nose just remember that’s how smart our POTUS is. That’s who is giving us orders and who is growing impatient with us all. For a virus they knew and hand picked to be used as a possible vector for vaccines because of how easily it is manipulated.

So there’s all that.

Probably doesn’t help you but I feel a little better.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:30 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Moderna is actually working on a combination covid/flu shot.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...lu-2021-09-09/
I’m sure there’s got to be more to it, but did the idea of a vaccine cocktail seriously never cross anyone’s mind till now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area