Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2021, 07:40 PM

764 posts, read 513,503 times

Advertisements

Tho my new apartment is big (about 1000 square feet) and its kitchen area is very spacious and with fan etc. I'm still a bit concerned about carbon monoxide, so, before cooking I usually open the balcony door a bit.

If I'm going to have a house, my kitchen would be sort of an attachment to the house and it would have several windows...

And this reminds me of George Washington's Mount Vernon, if memory serves, I believe, its kitchen is totally separate from the main house.

What do you have in mind?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 08:14 PM

6,898 posts, read 22,576,782 times
We once bought a house in Illinois that when tested, had CO levels far off the meter. We had gas heating, cooking, dryer and water heater. The previous owners never, NEVER, had their furnace cleaned in the 10 years they owned the house. When we bought the home I'm in now, we were excited not to have a gas connection. If you don't have natural gas and don't operate gas appliances in your apartment, there is nothing to worry about.

If you're very worried go buy a carbon monoxide detector. Your smoke alarm may be combined with a CO detector. Check it.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:48 PM

764 posts, read 513,503 times
It's a fancy apt, so, kitchen and bedroom etc. all have both CO detector and smoke detector.
My thought is, once CO detector finds ppm reaches 10 it's already bad, so, a better option is never to let that happen.

Oh, everything is electricity driven for the apt, no gas appliances whatsoever.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:59 PM

6,898 posts, read 22,576,782 times
I'm reminded of a case in the NC mountains where exhaust was flowing into a private room in a hotel and as I recall, 2 people died. They couldn't figure it out for awhile. So its always smart to be on the lookout.

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-p...8fd33cf7249c23

FWIW, when we had CO in our home, I could smell something was off about the air. Its why I called the gas company when I got to work that day. My husband and young child were woken awake by the police. They had no idea. It was then that we found the previous owners had NEVER ever cleaned the furnace.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:25 AM

5,691 posts, read 5,946,272 times
I cant imagine an electric unit putting out enough to be worth worrying about.

BTW, many old houses had the kitchen separate, kept the rest of the house cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area